collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Brad Guzan Depreciation thread.  (Read 188831 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: The Brad Guzan Appreciation thread.
« Reply #555 on: July 27, 2015, 02:17:59 PM »
Agreed, but keepers are under the microscope more than most other positions, look at how badly Encks and Carson went down hill after a set back.

A lot of my memory of the Enckleman time is a bit fuzzy, but with Carson I'm not sure that he really went down hill - I don't remember him being anything other than mediocre for us. As I recall it was a bit of a shock that he was picked for that Croatia game based on his form at the time.

Aside from that game for England, my entire recollection of his time at Villa is that every time an opponent had a shot or free kick 40 yards or closer it was a goal.
One other specific one - the game at Fratton Park where he came charging out of his goal only to smash the ball into Nigel Reo-Coker's shins and watch the ball dribble into our net from around 35 yards.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #556 on: July 27, 2015, 02:26:19 PM »

We could do worse, but maybe there is something in his really good performances being in lost causes.

The Mervyn Day syndrome

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #557 on: July 27, 2015, 02:33:26 PM »
Agreed, but keepers are under the microscope more than most other positions, look at how badly Encks and Carson went down hill after a set back.

A lot of my memory of the Enckleman time is a bit fuzzy, but with Carson I'm not sure that he really went down hill - I don't remember him being anything other than mediocre for us. As I recall it was a bit of a shock that he was picked for that Croatia game based on his form at the time.

Aside from that game for England, my entire recollection of his time at Villa is that every time an opponent had a shot or free kick 40 yards or closer it was a goal.
One other specific one - the game at Fratton Park where he came charging out of his goal only to smash the ball into Nigel Reo-Coker's shins and watch the ball dribble into our net from around 35 yards.

Haha, that's right. And to think Liverpool wanted £10m or something equally ludicrous from us at the time.

Online Dave

« Reply #558 on: July 27, 2015, 02:35:02 PM »
Just the fact that we apparently paid £2m as a loan fee to him for the season is bad enough. That's about the same as Friedel's reported transfer fee the following year.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #559 on: July 27, 2015, 02:36:01 PM »

o

My memory is different from that,
At the time we were looking for a goalkeeper long term and Carson was valued at the time at around 10 mill (Liverpool I think)
I was really impressed with his performances and thought we should buy him at the end of his loan term, that's how good I thought he was,
Then came the England match, I have never to this day seen a player change so much, he was shot when he returned, his confidence was finished he was not the same keeper, this might well have happened anyway at some other point in time even if he hadn't played in that England match,
but I was shocked to be fair,

As for Guzan, i have every confidence in him, I don't think we can get a better keeper unles we go spending 25 mill, I know you feel much the same way,
a little drop in form from last Christmas onwards is no where near enough to write the bloke of, I would be very disappointed if he left and we then went flip flopping about with keepers again

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #560 on: July 27, 2015, 02:36:39 PM »
I don't really rate Guzan, but it looks like we're stuck with  him.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #561 on: July 27, 2015, 02:40:58 PM »

It's easy to forget as that was nearly 8 years ago, blimey how time flies eh?  But looking back, he'd only played 10 games for us before the two Autumn England games, and my recollection was that he'd been doing very well.  He'd kept five clean sheets out of 10, and we were 7th in the table with a game in hand.

There was the Harewood 4-4 with Spuds, and he'd been ridiculously sent off v Man U, but on the whole I vaguely recall us all mostly being pleased with him, and that he deserved his England call up alongside others like Barry and Ashley Young.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #562 on: July 27, 2015, 02:49:39 PM »

It's easy to forget as that was nearly 8 years ago, blimey how time flies eh?  But looking back, he'd only played 10 games for us before the two Autumn England games, and my recollection was that he'd been doing very well.  He'd kept five clean sheets out of 10, and we were 7th in the table with a game in hand.

There was the Harewood 4-4 with Spuds, and he'd been ridiculously sent off v Man U, but on the whole I vaguely recall us all mostly being pleased with him, and that he deserved his England call up alongside others like Barry and Ashley Young.

Yep that's much the way I remember it too

Online Dave

« Reply #563 on: July 27, 2015, 02:52:32 PM »

You're probably right - might be the rubbish in the second half of the season overwriting the good stuff from the start from my head.

5 clean sheets in his first 10 games clearly isn't bad at all.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #564 on: July 27, 2015, 03:23:13 PM »

You're probably right - might be the rubbish in the second half of the season overwriting the good stuff from the start from my head.

5 clean sheets in his first 10 games clearly isn't bad at all.

We were probably still a bit picky in those days!

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #565 on: August 22, 2015, 05:19:00 PM »
I'm not sure if this needs a new thread, but his problems with distribution have really reached a farcical level now, have they not? It wasn't just the second goal either - he'd already made a couple of poor kicks and put the fullbacks into awkward positions prior to that; and his kicking at Bournemouth wasn't good either. If GK distribution is important to how Sherwood wants to play, he can't persist with Guzan despite his other qualities; if distribution isn't that big a deal, he should basically be told to belt it upfield every single time.

It's a shame because I thought he commanded his box well and looked secure the couple of times he was faced with a shot he could actually save.

Offline dekko

« Reply #566 on: August 22, 2015, 05:28:01 PM »
I'm not sure if this needs a new thread, but his problems with distribution have really reached a farcical level now, have they not? It wasn't just the second goal either - he'd already made a couple of poor kicks and put the fullbacks into awkward positions prior to that; and his kicking at Bournemouth wasn't good either. If GK distribution is important to how Sherwood wants to play, he can't persist with Guzan despite his other qualities; if distribution isn't that big a deal, he should basically be told to belt it upfield every single time.

It's a shame because I thought he commanded his box well and looked secure the couple of times he was faced with a shot he could actually save.

Yep.

People earlier in the thread were complaining that Guzan got dropped last season because of one bad game, but I said at the time and do now that thats rubbish.  He got dropped because every time he has the ball at his feet theres a signifcant chance that he'll either punt it out of play or put it in a dangerous position.

He might have only 'passed ball directly to opposition player for him to score' a couple of times, but the problem with Guzan was summed up perfectly for me early in the second half when he spooned an easy clearance about a 3rd of the way up the pitch, Gana lost the header and Palace were able to attack and create a good goalscoring opportunity.  He does this all the time.  We need better.

Offline LTA

« Reply #567 on: August 22, 2015, 05:30:16 PM »
Guzan isn't good enough.  He was rightly dropped last season and that should have been a wake up call, but evidently not.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #568 on: August 22, 2015, 05:42:13 PM »
I really think he's suffering from a lack of proper competition. His game has really gone backwards.

Offline KRS

« Reply #569 on: August 22, 2015, 05:44:50 PM »
I think his goal kick straight into touch in the second half today pretty much summed up all we need to know about his distribution skills. The less said about their second goal the better.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal