collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Brad Guzan Depreciation thread.  (Read 188816 times)

Offline seanthevillan

• pick our team
Re: The Brad Guzan Appreciation thread.
« Reply #540 on: July 26, 2015, 03:58:08 AM »
The USA lost to Jamaica in the CONCACAF semi final.

http://www.espnfc.com.co/gamecast/statistics/id/430268/statistics.html

There's a 3rd place game on Saturday but hopefully Villa will request that Brad doesn't play and is allowed to head back early

Guzan heavily at fault for the second goal and nowhere for the first (though I wouldn't say that was his fault )

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #541 on: July 26, 2015, 01:59:12 PM »
'Merica lost the 3rd place playoff to Panama on penalties

Brad played the full game

GK Brad Guzan, 7 -- Made nine saves over the course of 120 minutes as the U.S. net was barraged by Panamanian shots, then stopped a penalty in the loss. Perhaps the only American to acquit himself well.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #542 on: July 26, 2015, 02:07:09 PM »

GK Brad Guzan, 7 -- Made nine saves over the course of 120 minutes as the U.S. net was barraged by Panamanian shots, then stopped a penalty in the loss. Perhaps the only American to acquit himself well.

I watched the game in Portugal upto the start of extra time, Brad was very good and kept them in it in all honesty. Two of his saves were World Class.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #543 on: July 26, 2015, 02:08:12 PM »

Are Panama really that good? USA a bit crap? (in the context of the competition I mean)

Anyway, good to see Brad putting in a good performance.
Think he's gonna be busy starting August 8th!

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #544 on: July 27, 2015, 05:27:37 AM »

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #545 on: July 27, 2015, 12:33:07 PM »
He won the 'Golden Glove' award for the tournament - http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/07/26/concacaf-gold-cup-clint-dempsey-brad-guzan-golden-boot-glove

Played well against Panama, though US fans generally prefer Howard; often see their comments of not sufficiently commanding his defence etc..

I noticed he did make a penalty save in the shoot-out (albeit very easy). I can remember him saving a Snodgrass penalty at Norwich a couple of years back, but apart from that I don't recall any apart from the ones at Sunderland in the 2009 league cup shoot out?

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #546 on: July 27, 2015, 12:35:38 PM »
I think he saved one in that horrible Chelsea game from 2012.

Obviously it had a massive impact on the overall scoreline.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #547 on: July 27, 2015, 01:50:48 PM »
The problem I have with Guzan is that he looked at his best when we were getting thrashed most weeks.  Is he the keeper to base a rebuilt defence around, or are we better getting somebody in who hasn't been in a team that has been a dismal failure for the last 4 years? I'm not saying the results have been his fault, but I think he was less than impressive after Christmas this year, and for me the keeper/central defensive partnership is a key part of the spine of the team.  He's not a bad keeper at all, but I can't believe that the last four years haven't taken their toll on him and a move might be best for both parties.

I accept that lots will see things differently, but that's my take on Brad for what it's worth.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #548 on: July 27, 2015, 01:53:34 PM »
Brad needs a good and most importantly settled defence in front of him. It can't help that it's been such a mess in front of him.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #549 on: July 27, 2015, 01:58:14 PM »
The problem I have with Guzan is that he looked at his best when we were getting thrashed most weeks.  Is he the keeper to base a rebuilt defence around, or are we better getting somebody in who hasn't been in a team that has been a dismal failure for the last 4 years? I'm not saying the results have been his fault, but I think he was less than impressive after Christmas this year, and for me the keeper/central defensive partnership is a key part of the spine of the team.  He's not a bad keeper at all, but I can't believe that the last four years haven't taken their toll on him and a move might be best for both parties.

I accept that lots will see things differently, but that's my take on Brad for what it's worth.

I think you could say that for a good chunk of the squad.  Getting your arse handed to you on a plate week after week, staring at the same faces week after week must take it's toll.

It's why I think that even if we aren't vastly improving the quality of the squad overall, just having some fresh faces of a slightly better quality around, who that haven't been party to the last 3-4 years isn't a bad thing, if only to alter the whole expectation level of the squad. (i.e. not expecting to get beaten the minute something goes against us)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #550 on: July 27, 2015, 02:02:05 PM »

I think you could say that for a good chunk of the squad.  Getting your arse handed to you on a plate week after week, staring at the same faces week after week must take it's toll.

It's why I think that even if we aren't vastly improving the quality of the squad overall, just having some fresh faces of a slightly better quality around, who that haven't been party to the last 3-4 years isn't a bad thing, if only to alter the whole expectation level of the squad. (i.e. not expecting to get beaten the minute something goes against us)

Agreed, but keepers are under the microscope more than most other positions, look at how badly Encks and Carson went down hill after a set back.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #551 on: July 27, 2015, 02:09:09 PM »
Agreed, but keepers are under the microscope more than most other positions, look at how badly Encks and Carson went down hill after a set back.

A lot of my memory of the Enckleman time is a bit fuzzy, but with Carson I'm not sure that he really went down hill - I don't remember him being anything other than mediocre for us. As I recall it was a bit of a shock that he was picked for that Croatia game based on his form at the time.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #552 on: July 27, 2015, 02:09:42 PM »
Agree with that Risso.

That first season under Lambert he looked like he'd really come on and had the makings of a top class keeper. Unfortunately the things that made him stand out over and above his shot stopping, commanding the area, claiming crosses seems to have gone backwards and his kicking has never improved.

I'd love it if he could get back to the form of his first season under Lambert, but as you say, there's  a good chance his regression is confidence related.  Maybe playing behind an almost entirely new back 4 would help him.  Question then becomes if it's our new back 4 or somewhere else.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #553 on: July 27, 2015, 02:11:29 PM »

A lot of my memory of the Enckleman time is a bit fuzzy, but with Carson I'm not sure that he really went down hill - I don't remember him being anything other than mediocre for us. As I recall it was a bit of a shock that he was picked for that Croatia game based on his form at the time.

Aside from that game for England, my entire recollection of his time at Villa is that every time an opponent had a shot or free kick 40 yards or closer it was a goal.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #554 on: July 27, 2015, 02:16:22 PM »
I think he saved one in that horrible Chelsea game from 2012.

Obviously it had a massive impact on the overall scoreline.

Oh yes and I was there too. I am not sure how that save slipped my memory!

We could do worse, but maybe there is something in his really good performances being in lost causes.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal