collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Richard Dunne  (Read 120357 times)

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
Re: Richard "Who ate all the pies?" Dunne
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2012, 03:10:04 PM »
I suppose when you look at him he isn't really a fat person.  He just moves like one.  Deceptively slim?

Offline supertom

« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2012, 05:27:53 PM »
I think Dunnes fitness has always been an issue. Injuries too. I suppose he's at that stage where he's best as a cotton wool defender who comes in whenever he's fit, for the big games. The difference though between Dunne and say Ledley King at Spurs, is that Spurs really rated King as a must play, as and when he was able. Or perhaps like latter day McGrath for us. Dunney hasn't done enough to make him indispensible for us, nor missed greatly. I don't think his influence over the squad and younger players has always been the most positive either.
That said, on his day he's decent. He could still prove useful for us, particularly of Concrete gets injured, but I think he's a goner in the next two windows.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2012, 07:45:43 PM »
Well I don't care if he's fat.He's still (until Vlaar at least has a full season) our best defender. Throughout his professional career the only manager who's had a problem with him was Houllier, and to be fair old Gerard fell out with plenty of players. We're a better side with him in the team and that's all that concerns me.

I just can't agree.  Dunne is our best defender for 89minutes.  In the other minute he's a liability and has been for 2 years.  He also had the same reputation at Man City.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2012, 08:10:42 PM »
Chris Froome.   There's a fat bastard.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2012, 08:12:27 PM »
Yes I never trust a man whose elbows are fatter than his arms

Offline Vancouver

« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2012, 01:11:04 AM »
Ginola was over weight. Not an ounce of fat on him, but overweight. That gives me hope when saying I'm overweight. I'm footballer overweight

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2012, 06:26:47 AM »
Well I don't care if he's fat.He's still (until Vlaar at least has a full season) our best defender. Throughout his professional career the only manager who's had a problem with him was Houllier, and to be fair old Gerard fell out with plenty of players. We're a better side with him in the team and that's all that concerns me.

I just can't agree.  Dunne is our best defender for 89minutes.  In the other minute he's a liability and has been for 2 years.  He also had the same reputation at Man City.

Wasn't he City's player of the season four seasons running?

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2012, 06:31:35 AM »
THere's a great defender in Dunne.  He just needs to be fit, focussed and partnered properly.  If our new manager can get that out of him we'll have our best defender back. 

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2012, 08:09:50 AM »

When City were shit. Just look at our player of the season last time

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2012, 08:11:34 AM »
For what it's worth I think Dunne still has a role to play and isn't the total disaster many seem to think, it's just the old player of the season at a former club thing needs to be taken with a pinch of salt at times.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2012, 08:20:16 AM »
The thing with smoking is that long term is seriously effects anyones health. If you are extremely fit and smoke then in the short term it does not really cause that much of a problem.
I have a friend who smokes (although casually, a few here and there with a beer etc rather than 20 a day man) and he regulary runs in marathons and even competes in Iron Man events - he is a fit as a butchers dog

You would be surprised on just how many top footballers smoke - so its not just a Dunne thing

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2012, 08:45:53 AM »
I still think Dunne has a role to play at the club, so long as he has the right attitude. Maybe PL can make him focus again because even last season he showed on occasions there is a good player there. We cannot afford to omit him at this stage and he could be a major asset this season. 

Offline supertom

« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2012, 09:08:26 AM »
I think a problem for Dunne was he was partnered mostly with a drinking buddy last season. A drinking buddy who happened to be shite. That didn't help him.
If Lambert gets him off the booze, and fags, then hopefully he'll be better. In his first season for us, at his most slender, he was actually deceptively quick. He lost that pace when he returned heavier for the next season and has been slow ever since.

Offline Le Lapin

• GM : 14.10.2022
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2012, 09:44:08 AM »
Inside every Richard Dunne there is a thin defender trying to get out.

I have a feeling Richard is going to he shit hot this season. Settled club, a manager that knows what he is doing and a defense that will be well coached. You never know, we might even have a midfield that protects them and a plan for defending set pieces this season.

C'mon Richard...your club needs you. A very good defender that has been at a club in turmoil for two seasons, this has effected his confidence.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2012, 10:08:15 AM »

When City were shit. Just look at our player of the season last time

A player who is a liability doesn't win the club's player of the season four seasons running.During that time they had some good players who were playing well.SWP,Distin,Anelka etc etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal