collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Coming to you live from Villa Park  (Read 18585 times)

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
Re: Coming to you live from Villa Park
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2012, 02:40:48 PM »
Peter Withe and Pat Heard just did a Q&A with JW. The whole place is bouyant.

Me and the rest of the family were down there earlier today.
The lad got his new shirt. I got my hands on the European Cup and we got to listen to a couple of impressive bands.

Well done to all at the club.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2012, 05:38:40 PM »
Just because they call it a pork bap (in Cov) doesn't mean that it is pork.

A 'batch'. God knows where they get that from, it's a fucking cob.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2012, 06:51:22 PM »

its a fucking bap.

Online Stu

« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2012, 07:09:13 PM »

its a fucking bap.

FUCKING COB

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2012, 07:10:33 PM »
When I was younger we always said cob. Now I say baps. Partly because baps amuses me. I'm dead mature me.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2012, 07:11:50 PM »
Cob is Brummie, batch is Coventrian. Baps is not even Midlandish. So obviously, cob is correct.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2012, 07:16:11 PM »
Paul Lambert is on in a bit and a Fire Engine is here showing kids round. Pork and stuffing bap is £3.50.  :)

Jaysus - £1.80 in Cov market.

I was in Coventry this morning (buying an item I knew was in stock at the Cov branch of the retailer in question - a 'straight in, straight out' operation, pretty much).

Having dodged the morning alcoholics, skinheads walking devil dogs (not on leads), and various street mentals which make up most of the people around the central shopping area at 11 on a Sunday morning, we popped into Caffe Nero, to get something to eat, and marvel at the effect of slapping some glass on top of a bit of what must be (excepting Sunderland, Middlesbrough and Cumbernauld) the most depressing core retail area in Britain.

As the 'barista' was preparing my breakfast order, he said something which sounded vaguely whiney, which i couldn't understand, and looked at me, waiting for a reply.

Whatever he said, it went up at the end, so I knew he was either a. Australian or b. Asking me a question. He tried three times, and I still couldn't get it. Then he added a cutting motion, and I understood that he was asking if i wanted a knife with my croissant.

I told him no, and he looked exasperated, and said "What did you think i was saying?". I was just about to counter with "I've no idea, your stupid whiney, vaguely East Midlands / vaguely Brummie / vaguely Southern accent makes it nigh on impossible, you dolt", when the Mrs intervened with "Ignore him, he's half awake at most" (meaning me).

Anyway. The moral of the story is, who cares what they call them in Coventry, the correct word is "cob".

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2012, 07:19:18 PM »
On the subject of Coventry, one thing i love about going there is the ring road. I've never come across a road like that in Britain, so unbelievably dangerous is it - it mixes "get across into this lane FUCKING QUICKLY or you're bollocksed" planning with feeder lanes that just appear from nowhere and deposit cars right in front of you, and some of the worst road surfaces you'll find anywhere.

I genuinely enjoy driving on it, it makes you feel alive. In fact, it's the only bit of road in Britain that fully emulates the adrenalin-surging experience of driving around Southern Italy or Greece.

Online Stu

« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2012, 07:33:45 PM »
I was in Coventry this morning (buying an item I knew was in stock at the Cov branch of the retailer in question - a 'straight in, straight out' operation, pretty much).

Having dodged the morning alcoholics, skinheads walking devil dogs (not on leads), and various street mentals which make up most of the people around the central shopping area at 11 on a Sunday morning, we popped into Caffe Nero, to get something to eat, and marvel at the effect of slapping some glass on top of a bit of what must be (excepting Sunderland, Middlesbrough and Cumbernauld) the most depressing core retail area in Britain.

As the 'barista' was preparing my breakfast order, he said something which sounded vaguely whiney, which i couldn't understand, and looked at me, waiting for a reply.

Whatever he said, it went up at the end, so I knew he was either a. Australian or b. Asking me a question. He tried three times, and I still couldn't get it. Then he added a cutting motion, and I understood that he was asking if i wanted a knife with my croissant.

I told him no, and he looked exasperated, and said "What did you think i was saying?". I was just about to counter with "I've no idea, your stupid whiney, vaguely East Midlands / vaguely Brummie / vaguely Southern accent makes it nigh on impossible, you dolt", when the Mrs intervened with "Ignore him, he's half awake at most" (meaning me).

Anyway. The moral of the story is, who cares what they call them in Coventry, the correct word is "cob"

The lower precinct? Once home to 'Spin a Disc Records' which is now the lower story to H&M (or something similar). Did you ever 'experience' it before the glass makeover and link to the market?

There does seem to be a lot of mentals roaming the streets in central Coventry, something which I've always experienced about the place since I was old enough to be allowed to go into towns sans parents. One guy in particular used to go around on a red motobility scooter with loads of mops and brooms in the back and hold up these pics that he'd drawn of stickmen shooting each other and proclaim that the end of the world was round the corner. He turned up in Balsall Common once and was moved on very VERY quickly.

I moved here from Solihull about a year ago and found it difficult to settle because there appeared to be little to do apart from go to violent bars in the city centre, but I made a load of mates at my job and was able to find the decent places to go. Inspire has to be one of the best bars in the Midlands, if pricey, and the pubs down Craven St are great.

The accent is a bit weird, a sort of cross between Brummie, Cockney, and farmer. And they call cobs 'batches'.

Online Stu

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2012, 07:37:37 PM »
On the subject of Coventry, one thing i love about going there is the ring road. I've never come across a road like that in Britain, so unbelievably dangerous is it - it mixes "get across into this lane FUCKING QUICKLY or you're bollocksed" planning with feeder lanes that just appear from nowhere and deposit cars right in front of you, and some of the worst road surfaces you'll find anywhere.

I genuinely enjoy driving on it, it makes you feel alive. In fact, it's the only bit of road in Britain that fully emulates the adrenalin-surging experience of driving around Southern Italy or Greece.

Ah, the famous ring road. There is a theory around Coventry that it's merger lanes were devised at a time when cars didn't go so fast and that is why it feels like a slalom getting onto it. This, of course, misses the point that cars also did 60 mph back in the sixties as well.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2012, 07:47:02 PM »

its a fucking bap.

FUCKING COB
They also call it a barm in Stoke.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2012, 07:49:12 PM »

In the late 80's on the way back from a match against Coventry I had an accident on the ring road.  Somebody went into the back of me and I was stationary!

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2012, 07:57:39 PM »
Cob is Brummie, batch is Coventrian. Baps is not even Midlandish. So obviously, cob is correct.

Cobs and baps are different types of rolls.  Cobs are hard and baps are soft rolls.

Bap = batch

Pork should be served on baps.  Cobs should be reserved for cheese and onion.

Cheese and onion cobs and a couple of pints, the perfect pre-match double.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2012, 08:02:16 PM »

It's the closest thing in the UK to the sheer "what the fuck is going!" feeling you get from driving around the Arc de Triomphe.  It's absolutely insane, people merging in and trying to get off in the space of 50 yards. 

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2012, 08:03:05 PM »

Cobs and baps are different types of rolls.  Cobs are hard and baps are soft rolls.

Bap = batch

Pork should be served on baps.  Cobs should be reserved for cheese and onion.

Cheese and onion cobs and a couple of pints, the perfect pre-match double.

It's a barmcake.  You can shorten it to barm if you must.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal