collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Coming to you live from Villa Park  (Read 18586 times)

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
Re: Coming to you live from Villa Park
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2012, 08:14:16 PM »

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2012, 08:21:31 PM »
The best thing about Coventry is the by-pass. I can't think of a better thing to do than by-pass Coventry. Coventry makes West Brom almost bearable.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2012, 09:30:07 PM »
On the subject of Coventry, one thing i love about going there is the ring road. I've never come across a road like that in Britain, so unbelievably dangerous is it - it mixes "get across into this lane FUCKING QUICKLY or you're bollocksed" planning with feeder lanes that just appear from nowhere and deposit cars right in front of you, and some of the worst road surfaces you'll find anywhere.

I genuinely enjoy driving on it, it makes you feel alive. In fact, it's the only bit of road in Britain that fully emulates the adrenalin-surging experience of driving around Southern Italy or Greece.

It's the closest thing in the UK to the sheer "what the fuck is going!" feeling you get from driving around the Arc de Triomphe.  It's absolutely insane, people merging in and trying to get off in the space of 50 yards. 

My Mrs is a confident, aggressive driver, but she refuses to drive anywhere near it.

Offline Sister of Top Cat

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2012, 08:23:33 AM »
Cob is Brummie, batch is Coventrian. Baps is not even Midlandish. So obviously, cob is correct.

Cobs and baps are different types of rolls.  Cobs are hard and baps are soft rolls.

Bap = batch

Pork should be served on baps.  Cobs should be reserved for cheese and onion.

Cheese and onion cobs and a couple of pints, the perfect pre-match double.

It's a barmcake.  You can shorten it to barm if you must.
I used to have a Saturday job in a bread shop.  Cobs were round (often crusty), rolls were long and baps were soft, flat, with flour on them.  Oh and bridge rolls were long but shorter than ordinary rolls :)

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2012, 08:44:25 AM »
On the subject of Coventry, one thing i love about going there is the ring road. I've never come across a road like that in Britain, so unbelievably dangerous is it - it mixes "get across into this lane FUCKING QUICKLY or you're bollocksed" planning with feeder lanes that just appear from nowhere and deposit cars right in front of you, and some of the worst road surfaces you'll find anywhere.

I genuinely enjoy driving on it, it makes you feel alive. In fact, it's the only bit of road in Britain that fully emulates the adrenalin-surging experience of driving around Southern Italy or Greece.

It's the closest thing in the UK to the sheer "what the fuck is going!" feeling you get from driving around the Arc de Triomphe.  It's absolutely insane, people merging in and trying to get off in the space of 50 yards. 

My Mrs is a confident, aggressive driver, but she refuses to drive anywhere near it.
There's a speed limit of 40 mph. If you can't get on and get off a road at that speed without crashing, you need your licence taken off you.

It's a cob, but I like to call it a bap. And I always ask for them in pairs.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2012, 08:44:25 AM »
Any pics from anyone who went?

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2012, 08:46:34 AM »
Any pics from anyone who went?
Why do you want pics of Coventry ring road?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2012, 11:07:10 AM »
No matter what you might think about the shirt design or anything else, it got a few thousand people to Villa Park in horrible weather, spending money they wouldn't otherwise have spent. It's such a simple idea I can only wonder why nobody had thought of it before.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2012, 11:12:12 AM »
No matter what you might think about the shirt design or anything else, it got a few thousand people to Villa Park in horrible weather, spending money they wouldn't otherwise have spent. It's such a simple idea I can only wonder why nobody had thought of it before.

I went on Saturday and thought it was great.  The music was good, the chance to see Lambert tell us how proud he is to manage a big club like Villa (depsite the woeful questions Woodward asked him) was really good.  Thoroughly enjoyed it and it's clear from what Woodward kept telling us "we want the club to be closer to the fans", even Lambert said something of the same sort.

I'd love to know how much money the club made over the two days.

Offline supertommykN'iba

« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2012, 11:15:13 AM »

I went on Saturday and thought it was great.  The music was good, the chance to see Lambert tell us how proud he is to manage a big club like Villa (depsite the woeful questions Woodward asked him) was really good.  Thoroughly enjoyed it and it's clear from what Woodward kept telling us "we want the club to be closer to the fans", even Lambert said something of the same sort.

I'd love to know how much money the club made over the two days.

Best sales in over a decade.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2012, 11:24:17 AM »
To repeat what others have said, a brilliant idea to get/keep fans enthusiasm up during the close season.  Another very positive step in the right direction.

And regarding the discussion of the difference between Macron and Nike the most important question had to be "when will it be available for customers to purchase?" and Macron have hit it bang centre.  Reported to be best sales for a decade and will no doubt exceed total sales of years past by simply having it on sale before the main holiday period and the start of the new season. Even I, with no sales background, can see that that is a no brainer.

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2012, 01:06:04 PM »
To repeat what others have said, a brilliant idea to get/keep fans enthusiasm up during the close season.  Another very positive step in the right direction.

And regarding the discussion of the difference between Macron and Nike the most important question had to be "when will it be available for customers to purchase?" and Macron have hit it bang centre.  Reported to be best sales for a decade and will no doubt exceed total sales of years past by simply having it on sale before the main holiday period and the start of the new season. Even I, with no sales background, can see that that is a no brainer.

spot on.  Nike were a fucking disgrace.  The quality of the traing gear was shite despite it being pretty pricey.  Well done to Macron and Villa, will get a shirt at somepoint just for milling around the house.

Offline MarkM

« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2012, 03:35:16 PM »

Agree with that, and I also like the shirt!

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2012, 08:01:47 PM »
Yes, well done Villa. Would love to have gone but the kids are too young to appreciate it yet. Hopefully it will be a regular thing and we'll make it down there in the future.

Offline villajk

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2012, 09:25:40 PM »
We went for a short time yesterday afternoon and thought it was excellent.

A special thank you to the car park attendant who allowed us to park in the staff car park (the coach park normally) as Jon is on crutches.  Extremely helpful.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal