collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa on TV back in the day  (Read 25812 times)

Offline andyaston

Villa on TV back in the day
« on: December 02, 2011, 07:30:49 PM »
With a whole host of our fixtures being pushed about this month which annoys some of us purists, with three of the next homes games kicking off at stupid times. Can any of you guys old enough remember live TV games back in the 1980s?

Myself, and many fans in general quite looked forward to the 'Big Match' covering our games or the BBC picking out a cup tie. It was a novelty in those times happening a couple of times a season, mainly on a Sunday. One thing that sticks out was every time the ball was near the Trinity Road lower fans would wave their hands up in the air to try and attract the attention of those viewing on TV (the baggies called us the Seals because of it, if I remember well?).

Oh yes, if we won, which wasn't often the case I had alway put the timer on the Video recorder just in case.

Offline VillaSpen

Re: Villa on TV back in the day
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 10:59:33 PM »
The first one I remember was a 0-0 at home with Manchester United in 1988/89. The only standout memory was Steve Sims coming close with a header. Oh, and his majestic moustache, of course.

The next one I can recall was the 6-2 win over Everton the following season. We went but my Grandad also set the timer on the VCR, just in case! A wise decision as it was one of my all-time favourite Villa performances. Platt was tremendous.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 11:10:07 PM by VillaSpen »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 11:06:05 PM »
Apart from a certain game in 82, the first I can think of were Blackburn and Boro in Div 2.

I used to have that 6-2 Everton game on VHS. Wish I knew where all my home made Villa tapes were, probably all long lost.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 11:15:40 PM »
I have some games on VHS but have no idea how to get them onto DVD format or digitized or whatever. Mine would be mostly from between about 1995-1999 or so.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 11:21:02 PM »
I had loads of tapes, from early 80s through to mid 90s. If we won or had an honourable draw I would record the highlights (sad fecker that I am, I mean was!)
One of the first I remember recording was Watford in the FA Cup (83?), IIRC, Watford had to use black tape to cover up the sponsor logo on their shirts as they arrived at VP and didn't know the game was going to be on TV.

Online Pat McMahon

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 08:56:17 AM »
First I can remember was a Friday night (honest!) home game v Liverpool in the 1983-84 season which we lost 1-3.

After that it was the 1987-88 season with the Blackburn and Boro games referred to above, as well as the FA Cup defeat at home to Liverpool 0-2.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 01:38:50 PM »
I think we were the second live game after the agreement to show live league games in '83-'84. The first one was Spurs v Forest then Wolves v Villa. Then after that every game seemed to feature Liverpool or United. I remember Rush getting a hat-trick at Villa Park on a Friday night when the pitch was frozen, then the FA cup tie against them in '88.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 02:13:05 PM »
First I can remember was a Friday night (honest!) home game v Liverpool in the 1983-84 season which we lost 1-3.

After that it was the 1987-88 season with the Blackburn and Boro games referred to above, as well as the FA Cup defeat at home to Liverpool 0-2.

I posted on the Liverpool game under crap attendances

That was when the BBC had the brainwave of having games on a Friday night the cocks. I think that could be the first live game we were involved in

Offline Reuben

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 04:27:06 PM »
Nobody mentioned the semi-final of the simod cup v Middlesborough?  Actually it is better best forgotten.

The only other pre-Sky games I can think of is v Swindon and Liverpool in the FA Cup run of 91/92?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 04:40:29 PM »
I think it was 1989 away to Man City and ITV trialled a regional live game shown in the Central and Granada regions. Later that season when it was between us and Liverpool for the title I think games at Spurs, Coventry and Arsenal and at home to Man City were shown live on ITV, some on Sunday and some in midweek. It get's a bit confusing  when you went to the games, you can't remember if you came home and watched a live game you taped or you just watched highlights.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 07:14:22 PM »
Nobody mentioned the semi-final of the simod cup v Middlesborough?  Actually it is better best forgotten.

The only other pre-Sky games I can think of is v Swindon and Liverpool in the FA Cup run of 91/92?

I remember that

Birchy scored in front of the Holte and we went on to lose 2-1. IIRC it was pissing it down and it seemed like there was a hurricane going on in Aston Park

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 09:23:42 PM »

I remember that

Birchy scored in front of the Holte and we went on to lose 2-1. IIRC it was pissing it down and it seemed like there was a hurricane going on in Aston Park

Yep I was there, lots of space in the Holte and it rained hard... they got a last minute winner and we were poor.

Offline gervilla

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 07:22:28 PM »
I have some games on VHS but have no idea how to get them onto DVD format or digitized or whatever. Mine would be mostly from between about 1995-1999 or so.

I bought a video "grabber" in Lidl a few weeks ago to do this, I still haven't figured it out. Plenty time off over Christmas should do it.

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 12:23:14 PM »

I bought a video "grabber" in Lidl a few weeks ago to do this, I still haven't figured it out. Plenty time off over Christmas should do it.
A read of this article may help...........http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/digital-home/11484/how-to-transfer-movies-from-vhs-to-dvd/
I think Maplins do a converter for about thirty quid.

Offline Saunders9

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
Villa 1-4 Leeds 91/92 was live on itv on a Sunday

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal