collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa on TV back in the day  (Read 25813 times)

Offline andyaston

Re: Villa on TV back in the day
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2011, 02:51:53 PM »
Remember the Everton Game 6-2 but the main thing I remember was the sandpit in the middle of the pitch a far cry from the pitches now......I also remember VP full and rocking.

And yes Platty was magnificent that day
Great game but, Villa park was far from full only 17,000 were there on that November day it, was rocking though.

Offline He wears a magic hat

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2011, 02:56:11 PM »
I always remember that Everton game because half way through the first half you can here a guy with a broad Northern accent shouting at Brian Moore the commentator -

'Brian Mur Brian Mur can you hear meh ya twat'

Offline luke95

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2011, 03:08:10 PM »
I think we were the second live game after the agreement to show live league games in '83-'84. The first one was Spurs v Forest then Wolves v Villa. Then after that every game seemed to feature Liverpool or United. I remember Rush getting a hat-trick at Villa Park on a Friday night when the pitch was frozen, then the FA cup tie against them in '88.

My memory of that Wolves game is of it being the very 1st live game on a Sunday 1oclock ko,tho i could be wrong.

Also the Liverpool game , was that the game from which a still picture of Rush scoring was on the box of Subbuteo Football game ?

Offline andyaston

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2011, 03:13:39 PM »
I always remember that Everton game because half way through the first half you can here a guy with a broad Northern accent shouting at Brian Moore the commentator -

'Brian Mur Brian Mur can you hear meh ya twat'
I remember that, he and Ian st John went quiet for a bit then all you could hear was that scouser shouting up from below the Witton Lane TV gantry, calling him a twat.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2011, 05:36:36 PM »
I have most of the 81 (Championship) and 82 (European Cup) matches on VHS - now transferred to DVD Format. I know for a fact that the club have 45 minutes of highlights from the Man Utd second leg semi-final of the League Cup in 1970 at Villa Park. I met John Lerwill at VP (now departed) in Nov 2009 who said that the club were going to get it released for DVD soon.......the clowns who run the club have no idea of the significance of that night, so it's probably gathering dust in a cupboard or drawer. Do you also know that I donated the FC Valur away goals on DVD from 81-82 to the club at the same time - they said that they would put them on AVTV for the fans to enjoy! To my knowledge they've never bothered to show them.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2011, 05:58:37 PM »
Yes Villafirst is right, I know that Villa were planning to release a DVD of that great night at Villa Park in 1970 a few years ago, but I have no idea what happened to that.
I have the goals from both legs on the 'Villeneum' video I think it was Steve Stride's vote as his greatest Villa game.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2012, 12:36:28 PM »
Yes Villafirst is right, I know that Villa were planning to release a DVD of that great night at Villa Park in 1970 a few years ago, but I have no idea what happened to that.
I have the goals from both legs on the 'Villeneum' video I think it was Steve Stride's vote as his greatest Villa game.

I have got that video but haven't watched it. I will have a look now that I know those goals are there.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2012, 02:59:31 PM »
We'd have first been on in 60-61 according to this on Wiki, but viewers got Nat King Cole in the end!....

An early attempt at live league football was made in 1960-61, when ITV agreed a deal worth £150,000 with the Football League to screen 26 matches; the very first live league match was on Saturday 10 September 1960 between Blackpool and Bolton Wanderers at Bloomfield Road. The match kicked off at 6:50 pm with live coverage starting at 7:30 under the title The Big Game. A major blow to the TV moguls was the absence of big box office draw Stanley Matthews through injury, and the game ended 1-0 to Bolton in front of a half-empty stadium.
However ITV withdrew from the deal after first Arsenal and then Tottenham Hotspur refused them permission to shoot at their matches against Newcastle United and Aston Villa respectively, and the Football League demanded a dramatic increase in player appearance payments. ITV showed the Nat King Cole Show instead, while ironically both matches received highlights coverage from the BBC on Sports Special.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2012, 04:01:46 PM »
We'd have first been on in 60-61 according to this on Wiki, but viewers got Nat King Cole in the end!....

An early attempt at live league football was made in 1960-61, when ITV agreed a deal worth £150,000 with the Football League to screen 26 matches; the very first live league match was on Saturday 10 September 1960 between Blackpool and Bolton Wanderers at Bloomfield Road. The match kicked off at 6:50 pm with live coverage starting at 7:30 under the title The Big Game. A major blow to the TV moguls was the absence of big box office draw Stanley Matthews through injury, and the game ended 1-0 to Bolton in front of a half-empty stadium.
However ITV withdrew from the deal after first Arsenal and then Tottenham Hotspur refused them permission to shoot at their matches against Newcastle United and Aston Villa respectively, and the Football League demanded a dramatic increase in player appearance payments. ITV showed the Nat King Cole Show instead, while ironically both matches received highlights coverage from the BBC on Sports Special.
They only showed the 2nd half for some strange reason.

Offline oldham_villa

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2012, 03:08:02 AM »
I've got the below somewhere on VHS - i'll have to dig them out;

Villa V Man U - Six debut 83/84 (BBC highlights)
Arsenal v Villa - 83/84 (ITV highlights)
Villa v Spurs - Rumbelows Cup 87 (ITV highlights)
West Ham v Villa Rumbelows Cup 87 (ITV highlights)
Villa v Everton 1988 (ITV highlights)
Villa v Wimbledon 1988 FA Cup (BBC highlights + the worst goal conceded ever....straight thru Mountfields legs!)
Man City v Villa 1989 90mins (ITV)
Villa  v Everton 1989 90 mins (ITV)
Villa v Everton  1989 90 mins
Villa v Middlesboro 1989/90  (near enough 90 mins) Zeneth Data Cup (Sky Sports)
Arsenal v Villa 1990 90 mins (ITV)
Villa v Inter 1990 90mins (ITV)
Inter v Villa 1990 45mins(ITV)
The odd highlights from matches from that 1990/91
Villa v Spurs FA Cup (1993?!?!) 90mins BBC
Various games v Man U (90 mins) from league and cup from 92/93/94

I stopped recording them after a while. I'll have to dig em out and burn to DVD
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 03:10:04 AM by oldham_villa »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal