collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa on TV back in the day  (Read 25823 times)

Offline Deano's Mullet

Re: Villa on TV back in the day
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2011, 07:24:35 AM »
The first season of the Premiership we naturally featured quite a lot on tv due to finishing as runners-up. Nowadays i think SKY tend to treat 16 or so clubs in the Prem as "one of those playing the top four." We're not on telly as part of their "we must show at least 6 Villa games before Xmas because people want to see Villa, Wigan, Everton etc etc," generally i reckon they work their way round scheduling those 16 or so "unglamourous" clubs only when they are showing the big four - who all feature even more than normal anyway because they are always covered when they play each other.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2011, 08:51:10 AM »
Interesting that most of the games on here are games we lost.

Can anybody recall our first win in a live televised game? I reckon it would have been Man City away or Everton at home in the 1989-90 season, but was living in France at the time so never saw them myself, though my mom taped them for me to watch when I came home.

Offline Zhong Yi

• Let's All Have A Disco....la la la la
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 11:15:17 AM »
Wolves away courtesy of Peter Withe, 1983.

following that, the next 'live' win may have been Bradford City away 1987/88 - it was a match shown regionally on Yorkshire TV.

difficult to believe these days but between 1984-1986 there was hardly any football on terrestrial TV due to the arguments concerning viewing rights.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2011, 02:47:28 PM »
I would guess our first live win was the last time we won the FA cup. If that wasn't shown live it would be the 1982 European cup final. I would have said our first live league win was Man City away around about October '89. The game at Wolves in '83 finished 1-1 and I'm not sure the Bradford game in '87 would have been allowed to be shown live anywhere. I was at the game and I'm sure it was a 3pm Saturday kick-off.

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2011, 03:30:21 PM »
I would guess our first live win was the last time we won the FA cup. If that wasn't shown live it would be the 1982 European cup final. I would have said our first live league win was Man City away around about October '89. The game at Wolves in '83 finished 1-1 and I'm not sure the Bradford game in '87 would have been allowed to be shown live anywhere. I was at the game and I'm sure it was a 3pm Saturday kick-off.
It was a 3pm kick-off.

Offline Zhong Yi

• Let's All Have A Disco....la la la la
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 01:45:05 AM »
a 2-0 home win in season 88/89 against Everton, notable for a Tony Daley scissor kick. Man City 1989 (home and away) were also shown on ITV the following season.

re the Bradford match - it was shown regionally. I thought the Wolves game was 1-0 - however all said it could be the altzeimers

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 01:48:00 AM »
Bradford in the second division was definitely a Saturday afternoon so it couldn't have been on live.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 02:35:09 PM »
The 57 cup Final was live on TV.

I well remember the Wolves 1-1. Andy Gray was playing his first game against us, we had also recently sold John Gidman. We were in the midst of backroom upheaval with HDE sniping away and the pre-match talk was of a club in  turmoil having an uphill battle against a more ambitious outfit.

Gary Shaw scored an excellent equaliser and seven of the team went on to start in Rotterdam two years later.

Offline gervilla

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 08:09:04 PM »
We used get live games on Saturdays over here for a good few years. I remember watching our tonking at WHL to a Hodge inspired Spurs shortly after the weasel left us.
On the plus side I saw our game v Everton the season after we came back up. I still love seeing Tony Daleys cracking volley from that game.
The 3 p.m. live games continued for a few years after that.

Offline ez

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2011, 08:29:38 PM »
In the late 80s and in the 90s i got into a habit of taping villa highlights on motd and other shows. I know i have the highlights of Grimsby away in the fa cup and a lot of others. I've still got a whole sportsnight program in which Cantona does his fling kick on the palace fan. I was taping it for the villa highlights as we were playing spurs that night. It was the match when Bosnich clattered Klinsman.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
That Everton game in 88 was on tv, but they showed it the following day on the Sunday as I can remember watching it. I'm pretty sure they showed it in full too.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 07:38:08 PM »
I have some games on VHS but have no idea how to get them onto DVD format or digitized or whatever. Mine would be mostly from between about 1995-1999 or so.

I bought a video "grabber" in Lidl a few weeks ago to do this, I still haven't figured it out. Plenty time off over Christmas should do it.
A read of this article may help...........http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/digital-home/11484/how-to-transfer-movies-from-vhs-to-dvd/
I think Maplins do a converter for about thirty quid.

Oooh! Thanks for that. I've got some rare music videos that I want to convert to DVD. Cheers.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2011, 06:43:38 AM »
Has anyone got the swindon and Liverpool games from 1991 -1992 they coumd burn on to a dvd for me. They're my first memories of watching villa in the FA Cup on the TV.

Offline avwebby

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
Remember the Everton Game 6-2 but the main thing I remember was the sandpit in the middle of the pitch a far cry from the pitches now......I also remember VP full and rocking.

And yes Platty was magnificent that day

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2011, 01:22:22 PM »
Wolves away courtesy of Peter Withe, 1983.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

it was 1-1

Withe scored first and I think Wayne Clarke equalised

in front of around 13k

Sun 23 Oct   Wolverhampton Wanderers   A   League   D 1-1   Molineux   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal