collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Leon Bailey - signed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 04:52:43 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 04:49:46 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 04:49:27 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 04:47:52 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 04:47:48 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Jane
[Today at 04:47:05 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:46:48 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[Today at 04:46:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Does Roy Hodgson Owe Us An Apology?  (Read 23609 times)

Online lovejoy

Re: Does Roy Hodgson Owe Us An Apology?
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2011, 10:06:36 PM »
I don't think the ball has to be travelling towards the goal as such. Not sure it was for either Evans or Bosingwa.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2011, 12:29:24 PM »
The idea that Woy focussed on Hutton's challenge to deflect attention away from Olssen's deception is comical.  As if no-one would have noticed or said anything about Hutton's challenge if uncle Woy hadn't mentioned it.  Woy isn't going to apologise nor should he, he's a football manager and they almost always back their players in public regardless of whether they are in the right or wrong. Cést la vie.

Laws of the game can be found here:

http://ar.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2011_12e.pdf

If that doesn't work just type FA laws of the game into Google.
You've obviously all got t'ínterweb so have a look at law 12 and then you can stop asking daft questions like why wasn't Foster sent off for being last man.

Offline Merv

« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2011, 01:03:38 PM »
As things currently stand, it seems that Herd will be spared his ban and Hutton's going to miss the Sunderland game - at least - owing to a rather nasty head/facial injury that was largely overlooked in the post-match froth of terse comments.

So, those who wanted Hutton punished in the first place might be rather pleased. Roy may be having a quiet little chuckle right now.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2011, 01:37:27 PM »
The only irritation I have is that at the time Olsson did not complain or give any indication of  wrongdoing. Afterwards, in press comments, he is claiming that Herd stamped on his thigh. That bollox winds me up more than a rather insignificant manager who looks and sounds like the "man on the omnibus" not a high achiever in the game's top flight.
Olson never reacted, how did he cheat?  Or did he say he did in the interview, I can't recall.
Olsson didn't complain because he was the one fouling Herd by holding his foot, out of view of the linesman who then saw Herd "extricate" his foot from Olsson's grasp before putting it down on the ground - the apparent "stamp"!
Woy was talking bollox probably after talking to Olssen who lied to him.
The fact that Olssen blatantly lied in the post match interview on TV takes the f****n biscuit - he's got away with a foul, won a penalty that wasn't and lied about the integrity of a fellow professional. Olssen should be brought in front of the FA and made to eat his own testicles. If he's got any! If anyone should apologise it's Olssen, with Woy standing at his side, looking "disappointed" at one of his senior pro's.
I guarantee if Rooney had done it it would be front page news and the media would be recommending hanging!!

Online lovejoy

« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2011, 02:39:11 PM »
The idea that Woy focussed on Hutton's challenge to deflect attention away from Olssen's deception is comical.  As if no-one would have noticed or said anything about Hutton's challenge if uncle Woy hadn't mentioned it.  Woy isn't going to apologise nor should he, he's a football manager and they almost always back their players in public regardless of whether they are in the right or wrong. Cést la vie.

http://ar.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2011_12e.pdf

You've obviously all got t'ínterweb so have a look at law 12 and then you can stop asking daft questions like why wasn't Foster sent off for being last man.

law 12: A red card is given for "denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player's goal is a punishable offence..."

So Gabby was brought down on his way to the WBA goal and he was denied an obvious goal scoring opportunity. So I do not understand why you think asking why Foster didn't get a red card is a daft question?

Did you read rule 12 before you referred to it?

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2011, 03:14:49 PM »

law 12: A red card is given for "denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player's goal is a punishable offence..."

So Gabby was brought down on his way to the WBA goal and he was denied an obvious goal scoring opportunity. So I do not understand why you think asking why Foster didn't get a red card is a daft question?

Did you read rule 12 before you referred to it?

Yes I did.  And nowhere does law 12 refer to a "last man".  Nor has it ever done.  Yet people keep banging on about it probably because they've heard ignorant media people use it.   Asking why Foster didn't get a red isn't a daft question at all, I never said it was.  Asking why he didn't get a red for being last man is a daft question, which is why I specifically mentioned "last man".   

As for goal scoring opportunity,  the laws say that the ref has to take various factors into account such as whether it was likely the player fouled would have retained control of the ball (since Gabby poked it one way and was heading another way, I'd argue that was unlikely) and whether the offence led to a direct free kick or a penalty.  So I guess the ref thought Gabby wouldn't necessarily have got to the ball before Reid and therefore was unlikely to have had a chance to score, and decided that the fact that it was a penalty was sufficient compensation/punishment since it is in itself a goal scoring opportunity.  It's open to interpretation but I'd say Dowd has a pretty good case for Foster not to be red carded.   Yellow card maybe,  I don't know.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2011, 05:55:48 PM »
Technically he wasn't heading towards the goal. By clipping the ball past Foster, the ball was heading towards the corner flag.

Had he not been brought down then yes, he would have controlled it and scored but the fact that the ball wasn't rolling towards the goal is the get-out clause that the referee needs to avoid showing a red card.

Offline AbsoluteGarbage

« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2011, 06:40:22 PM »
Am I correct in saying that Roy Hodgson has not come out today and issued an apology to both Chris Herd and Aston Villa for the unfounded accusations he trotted out on MOTD on Saturday night.  He stated on national TV that having seen the replay that Chris Herd definitely stamped on Ollsen.  Now this has clearly been sorted out through the use of video technology over the weekend but Roy's silence is deafening.

I think he has let his profession down and West Brom as a club also are being made to look bad over this.

Unfortunately, I think Woy is slightly more concerned with his players and his team's display than comments he may have made to some hack during one of the several interviews he gave post-match.  I am sure Albion fans could also request an apology from McLeish regarding his comments defending Hutton's karate kick - no apology there either. 

Instead of looking for scapegoats and excuses, I think you'd be better served asking why the 53-minute capitulation occurred and why Villa didn't muster a single shot on target from open play in the whole game.  And set-pieces don't look a problem do they? 

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2011, 07:09:39 PM »
"I'm vewy sowwy" said Woy.

"Vewy sowwy indeed"

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2011, 07:09:55 PM »
Olssen should be brought in front of the FA and made to eat his own testicles. 

If there's been a better line written in all of H&V's history then I've yet to read it.

Bravo.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2011, 07:12:49 PM »
Am I correct in saying that Roy Hodgson has not come out today and issued an apology to both Chris Herd and Aston Villa for the unfounded accusations he trotted out on MOTD on Saturday night.  He stated on national TV that having seen the replay that Chris Herd definitely stamped on Ollsen.  Now this has clearly been sorted out through the use of video technology over the weekend but Roy's silence is deafening.

I think he has let his profession down and West Brom as a club also are being made to look bad over this.

Unfortunately, I think Woy is slightly more concerned with his players and his team's display than comments he may have made to some hack during one of the several interviews he gave post-match.  I am sure Albion fans could also request an apology from McLeish regarding his comments defending Hutton's karate kick - no apology there either. 

Instead of looking for scapegoats and excuses, I think you'd be better served asking why the 53-minute capitulation occurred and why Villa didn't muster a single shot on target from open play in the whole game.  And set-pieces don't look a problem do they? 

I think it's possible to hold veiws on several subjects at the same time.

That's now two stripeys on the internet. Are the libraries open late?

Online lovejoy

« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2011, 10:26:14 PM »
Technically he wasn't heading towards the goal. By clipping the ball past Foster, the ball was heading towards the corner flag.

Had he not been brought down then yes, he would have controlled it and scored but the fact that the ball wasn't rolling towards the goal is the get-out clause that the referee needs to avoid showing a red card.

Sorry dave but the laws as linked here don't require the ball to be going towards goal (unless you can tell me better). Gabby was clearly moving towards the albion goal. Ergo I am not clerar why under the laws stated he was not sent off unless it was a cock up by the ref.

Offline garyfouroaks

« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2011, 10:41:06 PM »

He is simply a befuddled old man.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2011, 11:10:23 PM »
Roy just has to say *anything* and it melts any hostiility I have to him

That funny On The Buses style voice and accent crack me up every time.

As for this nonsense about apologising, what a load of self important bollocks. That's what football managers do. They lie to protect and support their team / players.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2011, 06:34:38 AM »
Perhaps he can explain how foster wasn't last man and how gabby wasn't through on goal? I can't believe that hasn't been discussed
Because the ball was going away from goal rather than towards it.

And if someone is 'last man' or not is irrelevant.
If he can get to the ball in time its still a goal scoring opportunity, which he could. He was in a position he could easily score. And last man does make a difference. At the very least its a booking. If you give a penalty give a booking, as I was told by an assesor

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal