collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by john e
[Today at 02:14:39 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:12:45 PM]

Re: Peter McParland 90 today by robleflaneur
[Today at 02:11:53 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by Dogtanian
[Today at 02:08:07 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by ChicagoLion
[Today at 02:05:07 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by Richard
[Today at 02:03:24 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by Dogtanian
[Today at 02:01:53 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by CT Villan
[Today at 01:59:17 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alan Hutton the Scottish Cafu Retires  (Read 94588 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Alan Hutton
« Reply #315 on: June 06, 2019, 01:15:22 PM »
Well, he was a good championship player who had some limitations (which were shown up at times); and he had a commitment and the occasional inspired moment that lifted him above the Championship average.
For his dogged determination not to be cast aside in the 'bomb squad', kudos to him.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #316 on: June 06, 2019, 01:17:18 PM »
Well, he was a good championship player who had some limitations (which were shown up at times); and he had a commitment and the occasional inspired moment that lifted him above the Championship average.
For his dogged determination not to be cast aside in the 'bomb squad', kudos to him.

Yep.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #317 on: June 06, 2019, 01:18:18 PM »
Not forgetting for a fair period not only was he the best right back but he was also the best left back at the club.

Offline Pete

« Reply #318 on: June 06, 2019, 03:36:41 PM »
If he reminds me of anyone it's Eamonn Deacey. Not the most elegant of full backs, but loyal to the club and totally committed to the cause.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #319 on: June 06, 2019, 04:10:40 PM »
He wasn't very poor in the main and to say that is just churlish

In your opinion. Personally i winced every time he wore the shirt as no matter how much effort he supposedly put in (unless it was running back to cover the huge gaps he'd leave in defence) he was a very very limited footballer. Neither that good defensively or going forward. And that's in the championship!

That game against Norwich when Elmo was rested saw them carve us apart down his side about 3 times in the first ten minutes. They clearly knew who to target.

Some people don't seem to be able to separate liking Hutton the man and recognising he was always a very average footballer. He's always come across as a very decent bloke who loves the club. And that's great.

But it's absolutely no coincidence how our form picked up once he was out the side and Elmo came in either.

I wish him well but wont miss him one iota on the pitch clearly.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #320 on: June 06, 2019, 04:14:25 PM »
He wasn't very poor in the main and to say that is just churlish

In your opinion. Personally i winced every time he wore the shirt as no matter how much effort he supposedly put in (unless it was running back to cover the huge gaps he'd leave in defence) he was a very very limited footballer. Neither that good defensively or going forward. And that's in the championship!

That game against Norwich when Elmo was rested saw them carve us apart down his side about 3 times in the first ten minutes. They clearly knew who to target.

Some people don't seem to be able to separate liking Hutton the man and recognising he was always a very average footballer. He's always come across as a very decent bloke who loves the club. And that's great.

But it's absolutely no coincidence how our form picked up once he was out the side and Elmo came in either.

I wish him well but wont miss him one iota on the pitch clearly.
I agree.  There's a strong smell of 'we can nice about him now he's left' on this thread.  He tried hard and didn't moan but most importantly he was bog ordinary.

Offline luke95

« Reply #321 on: June 06, 2019, 04:28:26 PM »
In a time when we've had an endless list of players who have taken the piss out of the club & fans Hutton is one of the few that didn't .
I'll always have huge amount of respect for him for that, regardless of his playing limitations.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #322 on: June 06, 2019, 06:17:10 PM »
Let's also remember he took a one year contract with us last summer on half the money and contract length Forest offered him. He is a good egg in my book.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #323 on: June 06, 2019, 08:19:27 PM »

That game where he'd been out for 3 months and was then chucked in as a starter in his first game back against the champions of the division?

Of course he was out of touch - judging him on that is ridiculous.

He was average.  In the time he's been with us we've seen much worse and we've seen much better.  We move on.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #324 on: June 06, 2019, 08:36:21 PM »
Goodbye  and good luck Alan. Thanks for the goal against Shite Heath.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #325 on: June 06, 2019, 08:51:05 PM »
He was not a brilliant Villa player but he was a very memorable one.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #326 on: June 06, 2019, 09:08:18 PM »
A man for the times

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #327 on: June 06, 2019, 09:14:30 PM »
If he reminds me of anyone it's Eamonn Deacey. Not the most elegant of full backs, but loyal to the club and totally committed to the cause.

I have grown to like Hutton and appreciate the contribution he made latterly.  However, in the pantheon of Villa cult heroes, he doesn't come close to legend that is Eamonn Dearcy.

Offline Pete

« Reply #328 on: June 07, 2019, 10:03:18 AM »

I have grown to like Hutton and appreciate the contribution he made latterly.  However, in the pantheon of Villa cult heroes, he doesn't come close to legend that is Eamonn Dearcy.

Of course he doesn't. I was just saying that while neither of them had the talent of a Gidman or a Swain, they made up for it with grit and sheer force of will.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #329 on: June 07, 2019, 10:16:57 AM »
I was always a bit surprised when Deacy managed to stay on the pitch for 90 minutes, and I thought the same about Hutton in his first appearances.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal