collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Celebrity Fans. What's The Point?  (Read 265504 times)

Offline Chico Hamilton III

Re: Celebrity Fans. What's The Point?
« Reply #1155 on: October 15, 2023, 04:49:15 PM »
Me and Pat were talking about Bobby Sands on Friday night ( as you do) and I’m sure Pat said he used to live on Rue Bobby Sands, and I’m sure it was in Paris. I could be wrong on both counts, I had necked about 7 pints of Taddy Lager.

There will be >1 Rue Bobby Sands, I imagine.

That explains it. Must confuse the postmen though…

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #1156 on: October 15, 2023, 04:53:48 PM »
A quick search shows there are streets named after Bobby Sands in New York and Tehran as well.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #1157 on: October 15, 2023, 07:14:52 PM »
If Bobby Sands MP was alive I bet he’d love to go to a game with Cameron, William and the Governor of the BoE.

And he wouldn't have been moaning about the catering.

Bravo!

Seconded.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1158 on: October 16, 2023, 04:28:31 PM »
I do wonder if a lot of clubs will go down the Wrexham route . They were bought by 2 Hollywood  actors Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenny. They are documenting their journey on Disney+ with a  show Welcome to Wrexham which follows the progress.

Premier clubs I think in the future will do more of this as a streaming and online platform giving further access and interaction with fans regardless of any celebrities involved.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #1159 on: October 16, 2023, 11:16:23 PM »
Me and Pat were talking about Bobby Sands on Friday night ( as you do) and I’m sure Pat said he used to live on Rue Bobby Sands, and I’m sure it was in Paris. I could be wrong on both counts, I had necked about 7 pints of Taddy Lager.

There will be >1 Rue Bobby Sands, I imagine.

That explains it. Must confuse the postmen though…

I mentioned that my girlfriend’s family lived in St Denis, slightly to the north of Paris and now home of the Stade de France, which for decades had a communist council. As a result street names varied slightly from the usual roster of French political and literary figures - my girlfriend’s family lived on avenue Lenin and not too far away was rue Bobby Sands.

Rue Bobby Sands, home of the Kappa factory / HQ in France, had a postcode beginning 44 so was based in / near Nantes in Loire Atlantique.

I don’t think it was the 7 pints that clouded Chico’s memory of that conversation, more the extra pints that followed it.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #1160 on: October 17, 2023, 05:55:22 AM »
There are several in France. A quick search on Maps gives

44800 SAINT HERBLAIN
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 06:03:22 AM by Bad English »

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1161 on: October 17, 2023, 08:40:49 AM »
The point still stands Lehmann football ability doesn't warrant the big following in comparison to Rachel Daly who is the heroine and Villa best ever player and is not as globally known outside of football and doesn't have millions on social media.
Anyway this can be discussed on the women's football thread if needs be.

Does it bother you that much that she is social media savvy?

Some people have made whole careers from that alone, without the football...

Don't get me wrong, Im not a follower of hers on social media & neither will I be forking out £150 for a calendar, but she has as much right to utilise her social media towards marketing herself as you & I have of posting on this forum...
If you're doing it on the pitch then it's not an issue. I don't think she has. Daly scored 22 in 22
Though Watkins is the opposite attitude to Lehmann and is performing

Ollie Watkins:

"I'm content with where I am. The fame, the followers on Instagram – if it does come, it does. If it doesn’t, I’m not bothered really"

Is conscious that his name does not carry the cachet of other England players. This is a curse of the modern game, a place where sporting talent meets celebrity hype, where players are scrutinised for what they do off the pitch as much as on it. It is a world Watkins has largely shunned, perhaps to his detriment. He doesn’t have Twitter, and his 374,000 followers on Instagram are dwarfed by teammates like Harry Kane and Marcus Rashford, who have online audiences of 16 million.

A commercial guru at his agency has encouraged Watkins to use social media, to raise his status a little, but it doesn’t come naturally. “I wouldn’t want to put anything out there that’s not authentic and not myself,” he says. “You see how much money you can make on Instagram. But my saying has always been just be good at football and the rest will take care of itself. If I’m scoring 30 goals a year and someone wants to do a sponsorship deal with me then they are going to want to do it because I’m doing well on the pitch.

Being a Premier League striker at a historic club still brings its fair share of attention, something Watkins admits he doesn’t revel in. Life was different playing in the Championship for Brentford.

“I used to just go and shop in Sainsbury’s, normal, and I came to try and do it at Villa and I couldn’t,” he laughs. “I had my earphones in and people took two looks and went, ‘Is that him?’. Once one person asks for a photo, then maybe it’s two or three, and then it’s hard to do shopping... I came home and I was fuming. I said to my missus, I’m never going out again. And since then I don’t do the shopping.”
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 08:44:41 AM by Footy-Vill »

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #1162 on: October 17, 2023, 08:54:44 AM »
Have to say that the moralising on what Alisha Lehmann does in her own time feels like, if does has a place at all, that place is somewhere in the 1950s.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #1163 on: October 17, 2023, 08:55:19 AM »
It does beg the question: how many Nectar points has Ollie Watkins got?

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1164 on: October 17, 2023, 09:01:02 AM »
How will raising his Media status enable him to sort his first touch out and not shoot at the goalkeeper’s shins with unerring accuracy?

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1165 on: October 17, 2023, 09:30:42 AM »
Have to say that the moralising on what Alisha Lehmann does in her own time feels like, if does has a place at all, that place is somewhere in the 1950s.
Well I'm team Dougie!
Clearly you just want to get with her!
Your prerogative.

Okay, boomer.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #1166 on: October 17, 2023, 09:31:02 AM »
I'm seeing vast improvements in ChatGPT. Impressive.

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #1167 on: October 17, 2023, 09:34:46 AM »
Who popped a trip in my tea?

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1168 on: October 17, 2023, 09:45:22 AM »
Who popped a trip in my tea?

That drug-addled, morally repugnant dodgy celeb was hanging about in the Tea and Coffee aisle, 24, I think?

Offline AV84

« Reply #1169 on: October 17, 2023, 09:46:31 AM »

Is it coincidence that Footy's return coincided with Lawrence Fox suddenly having a lot of time on his hands.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal