collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Celebrity Fans. What's The Point?  (Read 256571 times)

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Celebrity Fans. What's The Point?
« Reply #300 on: August 24, 2016, 02:16:35 PM »
Never heard of him but I'll wish him a full and speedy recovery.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #301 on: August 24, 2016, 03:05:35 PM »

Bass God. Get well soon Pete

Offline Pete

« Reply #302 on: August 24, 2016, 03:43:13 PM »
My first ever gig was UFO at the Odeon, January 1980. They played every January and I went for a few years, one year hung around by the stage door and was let in by a roadie. I can confirm that Pete Way is a lunatic, absolutely larger than life.

As an aside, I missed Schenker with UFO by a year so a couple of years ago took my then sixteen-year-old to see him play Holmfirth for HIS first gig. He was backed by the Scorpions rhythm section, see below, and was brilliant. In this clip from 3.30 minutes he's astonishing.

was that the gig when Girl supported?? (you're first gig)

I think it was. Dreadful band, Girl, I still have their album though. I can't for the life of me recall who supported in 81 and 82 though. 81 might have been Iron Maiden? Or maybe Def Leppard?

Offline Pete

« Reply #303 on: August 24, 2016, 03:54:48 PM »
My first ever gig was UFO at the Odeon, January 1980. They played every January and I went for a few years, one year hung around by the stage door and was let in by a roadie. I can confirm that Pete Way is a lunatic, absolutely larger than life.

As an aside, I missed Schenker with UFO by a year so a couple of years ago took my then sixteen-year-old to see him play Holmfirth for HIS first gig. He was backed by the Scorpions rhythm section, see below, and was brilliant. In this clip from 3.30 minutes he's astonishing.

That was mine too! The Mechanix tour?

I'm sure it was No Place To Run. The year after was The Wild The Willing and the Innocent, Mechanix was 1982.

Offline Stirchley Villain

« Reply #304 on: August 24, 2016, 03:55:12 PM »

I think it was. Dreadful band, Girl, I still have their album though. I can't for the life of me recall who supported in 81 and 82 though. 81 might have been Iron Maiden? Or maybe Def Leppard?

I was going to ask if you could remember the support. Girl it was. Their guitarist Phil Collen went off to Def Leppard of course.

« Reply #305 on: August 24, 2016, 03:58:01 PM »

That was mine too! The Mechanix tour?

I'm sure it was No Place To Run. The year after was The Wild The Willing and the Innocent, Mechanix was 1982.

Yes of course it was. I saw Mechanix in 1982 too. I'm trying to think when Way formed Waysted without checking with Google. 1983 maybe?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 04:01:57 PM by Stirchley Villain »

Offline spartacuss

« Reply #306 on: August 24, 2016, 04:13:04 PM »
Just read Tony Garnett's autobiography "The Day the Music Died".  Garnett - Aston born, Erdington bred - references his 'beloved Aston Villa' many times. One example, he recounts the times (during the 1940's/50's) family weddings (at Aston Parish Church) had to be scheduled around the Saturday matches while the male guests honoured the more significant event 400 yards away.

Garnett - actor, film/T.V. producer, scriptwriter, novelist - is probably best known for his working partnership with director Ken Loach who between them produced many classics of British T.V. and film in the 60's and 70's.  "Cathy Come Home", "Kes", "Up the Junction", "Days of Hope", "The Big Flame" are just some of the very political dramas they created and their efforts to put working-class life, sex, left-wing politics (the usual radical 'suspects'!) on our screens inevitably produced censorship clashes with the broadcasting and British political establishments.

London-based for most of his working life, his references to Villa are not generally match-specific, except for recounting regular humiliations the actor and friend Neil Pearson (a Spuds' fan) imposes on him with visits to White Hart Lane in recent years.  Garnett does , though, communicate that sense of absorbing the Villa as naturally and normally as inhaling oxygen which many of us with a similar Aston/Erdington heritage just assumed - without any prior sense of arrogance or elitism that the noses imply about us!

Offline AGRIPPA

« Reply #307 on: August 24, 2016, 04:14:58 PM »

I went about 4 years on the trot, as you say they always came round about January.. the 1980 gig was on my 15th birthday(26th).. was well pissed (Costers and Odeon bar)and got on stage with Girl for their last song.... instead of getting turfed off I sang the rest of the song with Phil Lewis (later of LA Guns)... then quietly had to lower myself off the stage... my claim to fame (sang on stage at the Odeon!!)

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #308 on: August 24, 2016, 04:42:10 PM »
Just read Tony Garnett's autobiography "The Day the Music Died".  Garnett - Aston born, Erdington bred - references his 'beloved Aston Villa' many times. One example, he recounts the times (during the 1940's/50's) family weddings (at Aston Parish Church) had to be scheduled around the Saturday matches while the male guests honoured the more significant event 400 yards away.

Garnett - actor, film/T.V. producer, scriptwriter, novelist - is probably best known for his working partnership with director Ken Loach who between them produced many classics of British T.V. and film in the 60's and 70's.  "Cathy Come Home", "Kes", "Up the Junction", "Days of Hope", "The Big Flame" are just some of the very political dramas they created and their efforts to put working-class life, sex, left-wing politics (the usual radical 'suspects'!) on our screens inevitably produced censorship clashes with the broadcasting and British political establishments.

London-based for most of his working life, his references to Villa are not generally match-specific, except for recounting regular humiliations the actor and friend Neil Pearson (a Spuds' fan) imposes on him with visits to White Hart Lane in recent years.  Garnett does , though, communicate that sense of absorbing the Villa as naturally and normally as inhaling oxygen which many of us with a similar Aston/Erdington heritage just assumed - without any prior sense of arrogance or elitism that the noses imply about us!

Great post.

« Reply #309 on: August 24, 2016, 04:49:51 PM »

I went about 4 years on the trot, as you say they always came round about January.. the 1980 gig was on my 15th birthday(26th).. was well pissed (Costers and Odeon bar)and got on stage with Girl for their last song.... instead of getting turfed off I sang the rest of the song with Phil Lewis (later of LA Guns)... then quietly had to lower myself off the stage... my claim to fame (sang on stage at the Odeon!!)

We useful do that all the time. Steve Clark of Def Leppard smacked me round the head with his Les Paul. Ronnie Montrose was a delight.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #310 on: August 24, 2016, 05:31:47 PM »
I just signed up to Netflix recently having ditched my Foxtel and have been watching a comedy called Cuckoo. It's a few years old now, but never heard of it before. It's got the wanker teacher from inbetweeners in it and the family live in Lichfield. Seen a few villa references in it and a villa tea towel in the last one. Not sure if the character is a villa fan, or whether it's the actor shoehorning villa references into the show?

I believe the writers are Villa fans, so they made the character one too.  Not sure if Greg Davies is a Villa fan though, I've never heard him mention it.
Greg Davies is a self confessed blue nose. Shame that I quite like him.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #311 on: August 24, 2016, 05:58:24 PM »

Great post.

Agreed.

I heard Garnett on Radio 4 a month ago and posted, to which Percy replied he had also read the autobiography.

Was it a good read? I reckon my mom may enjoy it.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #312 on: August 24, 2016, 06:00:20 PM »
I just signed up to Netflix recently having ditched my Foxtel and have been watching a comedy called Cuckoo. It's a few years old now, but never heard of it before. It's got the wanker teacher from inbetweeners in it and the family live in Lichfield. Seen a few villa references in it and a villa tea towel in the last one. Not sure if the character is a villa fan, or whether it's the actor shoehorning villa references into the show?

I believe the writers are Villa fans, so they made the character one too.  Not sure if Greg Davies is a Villa fan though, I've never heard him mention it.

Is he? When did he admit to that dishonour?

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #313 on: August 24, 2016, 06:25:27 PM »

He's owned up several times on TV. Sorry I can't give you an example but I have definitely heard him say it.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #314 on: August 24, 2016, 06:59:53 PM »

He's owned up several times on TV. Sorry I can't give you an example but I have definitely heard him say it.

Well this is what he said 5 years ago on Soccer AM.

"I'm very excited to be on a football show because I know the least about football out of any person in the United Kingdom!" he told Soccer AM.

"The vast majority of my friends really love football and they've really tried to help me fit in, but I don't fit in. I mean look at the state of me!

"It was mainly in the '90s really [that they tried to help me] - specifically during Euro '96. They wrote down a load of catchphrases for me to shout in pubs so I wouldn't feel left out, it was really sweet.

"One of my proudest moments of all-time was when I was in a crowded pub during an England match and I went 'Ince's doing well despite his Italian form' and load of blokes sitting next to me went 'yeah, yeah he is'! "

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal