collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 02:36:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ex- Villa Players still playing watch  (Read 230614 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Ex- Villa Players still playing watch
« Reply #165 on: September 30, 2013, 10:18:02 PM »
Shows how rarely he's been injured aswell as he must have average 30 odd appearences in the league in his 15 seasons to get to that figure. Well done him, I would hope he would get a decent reception when Everton turn up in a few weeks now he's not at City.

Gabby must be halfway to the 500 as I would guess he must be on 250 ish league appearences by now?

Offline dekko

« Reply #166 on: September 30, 2013, 10:24:39 PM »
Shows how rarely he's been injured aswell as he must have average 30 odd appearences in the league in his 15 seasons to get to that figure. Well done him, I would hope he would get a decent reception when Everton turn up in a few weeks now he's not at City.

Gabby must be halfway to the 500 as I would guess he must be on 250 ish league appearences by now?

248 league appearances for Villa

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #167 on: October 01, 2013, 01:12:43 AM »
Wished we'd have taken him back. I think the old heart-strings would have pulled him to us rather than Everton.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #168 on: October 01, 2013, 11:47:11 AM »
City fans bemoaning losing him, and Everton fans lauding him.  Well done Barry.  Great achievement.  Its not all roses for our ex players that we have sold for a lot of money recently, Milner has never really had the chance to show what he gave us.  Downing..... Good deal for us is all I can say.  The biggest disappointment has been Young surely.  I loved watching him play, yes he was Billybigbollocks at the end, but he always looked like he could get something for us.  Now he looks beat, short of ideas, short of confidence.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #169 on: October 01, 2013, 11:55:01 AM »
I'm sure he'll look back with regret that he never did get his 'dream move to Liverpool'.

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #170 on: October 01, 2013, 12:12:46 PM »
I'm sure he'll look back with regret that he never did get his 'dream move to Liverpool'.

I am sure any such regret is softened by the fact that he has a better haul of medals than he would have if he'd gone to Liverpool.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #171 on: October 01, 2013, 12:37:25 PM »

I am sure any such regret is softened by the fact that he has a better haul of medals than he would have if he'd gone to Liverpool.

I was being sarcastic.

Offline eastie

« Reply #172 on: October 01, 2013, 12:40:51 PM »
Wished we'd have taken him back. I think the old heart-strings would have pulled him to us rather than Everton.

I'd like to think so but he did say the pull of everton and the fact that his kids could stay at school in the north west was a huge factor in his move there.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #173 on: October 02, 2013, 11:01:38 AM »
Re Barry and 500 PL appearances. How many more would it have been if he hadn't fallen out with Gregory around the time of the "doesn't get his shorts dirty" comment?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #174 on: October 02, 2013, 07:20:11 PM »
From memory it was only half a season so probably another 20 games.

I'd have loved him back tbh particularly as Westwood hasn't got going this season.

I think Barry's role in Everton is partly why Ross Barkley has been so good these last few weeks, looks a good balance to their midfield.

Offline supertom

« Reply #175 on: October 02, 2013, 11:00:21 PM »
Barry's just a classy player. Great touch. Great range of passing. Really clever user of the ball. He has no pace, but he never has really. It doesn't stop him being able to get himself out of tight spots well because of his great balance and control of the ball. We did miss the boat, but honestly, we know Lamberts never going to sign a 32 year old on big wages. Westy will come good again too.

Now if we can just find a younger version of Barry, that would make for a good signing.

Offline eamonn

« Reply #176 on: October 03, 2013, 01:56:49 AM »
Re Barry and 500 PL appearances. How many more would it have been if he hadn't fallen out with Gregory around the time of the "doesn't get his shorts dirty" comment?

A dozen or so. Not enough to keep you up all night sobbing your heart out.

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #177 on: October 03, 2013, 12:52:44 PM »
I share many a pint with Gareth Barry's father in law and he tells me he would have crawled on hands and knees to come back to us after his falling out at City.

Offline AlwaysAVFC

« Reply #178 on: October 03, 2013, 01:31:02 PM »
I share many a pint with Gareth Barry's father in law and he tells me he would have crawled on hands and knees to come back to us after his falling out at City.

2nd hand from someone that spoke to Barry over the summer. He said he'd jump at the chance to come back but that he was about 10 years too old to play for us.
I imagine he would have been touted to us as well (along with many other clubs) but we weren't interested. No idea whether saying he was too old was in reference to already being rejected or just jokingly for the fact how young the team is.

Offline eamonn

« Reply #179 on: October 03, 2013, 04:23:28 PM »
The latter, surely. He clearly isn't too old enough to be playing for a decent Premier League side.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal