collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 12:56:46 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:46:19 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ex- Villa Players still playing watch  (Read 230851 times)

Online Exeter 77

Re: Ex- Villa Players still playing watch
« Reply #360 on: September 11, 2018, 05:46:55 PM »
I thought that SGT was convinced Angel was leaving in the summer of 2002 which is why he signed Marcus Allbäck.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #361 on: September 11, 2018, 06:16:15 PM »
I thought that SGT was convinced Angel was leaving in the summer of 2002 which is why he signed Marcus Allbäck.

A few of us went on a lads weekend to Amsterdam in the early 'noughties'. I think there were six of us and I was the last one to go through customs at the airport. None of us had anything on us we shouldn't have had to the best of my knowledge. We were mainly drinkers and I think the one or two of our crowd who liked a smoke had kept it to where it was allowed. Everyone else was waved through but they stopped me. It turned out the customs guy had spotted my Villa shirt and just wanted to ask me what the Villa fans thought of Marcus Allback and how he was doing at the Villa.

It turned out he was a big Heerenveen fan.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 06:18:31 PM by Damo70 »

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #362 on: September 12, 2018, 10:23:14 AM »
It wasn't just his son who was ill, it was his wife.  And if Taylor did say that, it was utterly pathetic of him.  What was his excuse for failing to get much out of every other player in the squad as well then?

Why does Angel get a pass on this but Bruce should just get on with it when both his parents died within a short time of each other having been ill for a long time?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #363 on: September 12, 2018, 10:32:00 AM »
www.theguardian.com/football/2018/sep/04/steve-sidwell-interview-retirement-premier-league-brighton

Interesting article on Steve Sidwell.

Bit late to this but I read the article last week. I knew like many in that era he was very well paid here but bit startled to read playing for us was where he earnt the most in his career.

Mad when you think he actually joined Chelsea on a free transfer and we paid 5m for him. I always thought he actually took a pay cut to sign.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #364 on: September 12, 2018, 10:43:12 AM »
Well JPA was actually having a pretty good scoring season in 2001/02. He had I think 12 league goals up to February and was linking up very well with Vassell so any settling in issues had to me seemed forgotten.

I just get the feeling he either wasn't Sir Graham's type of forward or they couldn't get on off the pitch. A few weeks later Crouch was signed and pretty sure JPA was benched for a few games which probably annoyed him particularly as Crouch was struggling to settle in on and off the pitch.

If you look at it JPA scored about 30 league goals in 01/02 and 03/04 and just 2 I think in 02/03 so something went wrong along the line when he was still at his peak as a forward and Vassell was viewing as forward with great ability.

They were our best strike partnership by a mile in those times anyway. Crouch not quite ready (we signed him too early) and Allback was very very average although those late goals to save us from relegation were much appreciated of course.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #365 on: September 12, 2018, 10:57:29 PM »
I don't think we bought Crouch too early, the whole idea is to buy a player before they are the finished article. Mr Fickle just didn't have a clue how to use him. Pretty sure we were the only club not to make a profit on him, although you could technically add Stoke as they won't make a profit on him.
After selling him for a loss he scored 12 in 27 in the league for Saints, while our 4 strikers combined managed 13 for us, and between them those 4 made over 100 league appearances for us that season. Genius from the Pug nosed twat.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #366 on: September 20, 2018, 08:19:45 AM »
Delphie making Captain error Lyon yesterday I see.
He's decent moving forward but at the left back he's prone to the error .

Milner dispatching penalty v PSG . Milner really playing and performing well at Liverpool credit to him 
Match of day he was interviewed and Linekar had to back track an old treatment saying what does James milner do.
Talk about ill informed , Gary has only recently realized what we all know how intelligent , committed and versatile a footballer he is . On top of that a thorough bred professional and as they said he's 32 and playing since 16. He hasn't deteriorated like a Wayne Rooney hasn't has injury issue lie Wilshire and hasn't suffered like Harry kane . Millie is great and has always had a fondness for the villa time .it's great he got to win at man city but I feel he's really suited to Liverpool and actually he would be beneficial to English national team as much as Henderson or alongside him that Eric Dier.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #367 on: September 20, 2018, 08:29:48 AM »
I don't think we bought Crouch too early, the whole idea is to buy a player before they are the finished article. Mr Fickle just didn't have a clue how to use him. Pretty sure we were the only club not to make a profit on him, although you could technically add Stoke as they won't make a profit on him.
After selling him for a loss he scored 12 in 27 in the league for Saints, while our 4 strikers combined managed 13 for us, and between them those 4 made over 100 league appearances for us that season. Genius from the Pug nosed twat.

From what I can remember the Crouch situation was a strange one.  Hardly played, came in for the 2nd leg of the League Cup semi final against Bolton and had a very good game, played the next game at Leicester and scored twice, and then hardly featured again. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 08:34:04 AM by tomd2103 »

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #368 on: September 20, 2018, 08:34:03 AM »
Forest beat Sheff wed and Grabban scored 2-1

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #369 on: September 20, 2018, 08:36:25 AM »
Is he still tee total? Be interesting to see how far that stretches his good years. Fair play to him, a testament to who he is that I still wish him well even though he plays for them. 

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #370 on: September 20, 2018, 08:47:54 AM »
Is he still tee total? Be interesting to see how far that stretches his good years. Fair play to him, a testament to who he is that I still wish him well even though he plays for them.

Jimmy milner ?!
I have no idea about this though think there are a lot of professional elite athlete's that take seasonal absistance as much as the ones that seem to go out drinking and do driving under influence and other shennaigans from unwise lifestlye choices.

I do think something needs to be made more that :
James Milner has not lost a Premier League match in which he has scored

Offline glinch

« Reply #371 on: September 20, 2018, 04:01:05 PM »
Nice quote from Peter Crouch re: Villa and Sir Graham

Why failing at Aston Villa is Peter Crouch's biggest regret
Peter Crouch playing for Aston Villa in May 2004.
Peter Crouch has revealed one of the biggest regrets of his career... not making it at Aston Villa.

The veteran Stoke striker joined Villa from Portsmouth for £5m in March 2002, signed by Graham Taylor.

And in the second episode of his new BBC podcast, Crouch explains why he still has regrets over failing at Villa Park.

He said: "I wasn’t ready for the Premier League when I went to Villa, so I ended up moving to Southampton. I think they just wanted shot of me, basically. David O’Leary didn’t fancy me as a player.

"That’s my one regret, I think. Had I stayed around at Villa a bit longer I think they would have seen the best of me, but I don’t think they ever did.

"Graham Taylor believed in me so much. I remember I was playing for Liverpool and I came back to Villa Park. I was also playing for England then, and Graham was there working for the radio.

"He ran down after the game and gave me a massive hug, and was like, ‘I knew you’d do it. I believed in you, I knew you’d be the player you are now’.

"And it was just a shame I didn’t do it for him at Villa because he bought me and he saw that when not many other people did. It was nice to be able to get there, to prove him right, but I wish I’d done it for him. "

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stoke-crouch-tottenham-aston-villa-2025865

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #372 on: September 20, 2018, 04:28:11 PM »
He always seems pretty bright for a footballer, our Crouchy. Fair play to him in acknowledging that he wasn't quite ready, and fair play for a great career.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #373 on: September 20, 2018, 07:39:48 PM »
I've always liked Crouch, he's intelligent, self aware and self deprecating.  Once famously responded to an interviewer's "What would you have been if you weren't a footballer?" with "Probably a virgin". How many of his peers would have the wit to come up with anything a fraction as good as that?

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #374 on: October 14, 2018, 12:10:10 PM »
Not exactly still playing but now coaching !
Shaun Maloney to become Belguim number two after the departures of Graeme Jones and Thierry Henry !

Is this really a dream ticket for Belguim generation to win a trophy.

Maybe it is and he will be a top head coach /manager in next few years good luck to him!

Martin O'Neil & Roy Keane move over Maloney the most interesting ex villan at international level ! After Southagte of course !

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal