collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Brigada 1874  (Read 174727 times)

Offline freethinker

Re: Brigada 1874
« Reply #585 on: May 02, 2013, 10:46:07 AM »
I notice the anti-fascist symbol in claret and blue colours to the left of the main banner. Whilst I am as opposed to fascism as the next man, there is something about overtly political banners at Villa Park that I find uncomfortable.  I really don't like mixing politics and football. And you can't spell grandad.

Offline MonsXI

« Reply #586 on: May 02, 2013, 11:17:29 AM »
I notice the anti-fascist symbol in claret and blue colours to the left of the main banner. Whilst I am as opposed to fascism as the next man, there is something about overtly political banners at Villa Park that I find uncomfortable.  I really don't like mixing politics and football. And you can't spell grandad.

We don't like openly fascist managers at Villa park.

Secondly I think you'll find granddad can be spelt both ways check the Oxford English if you don't believe me!  We're not the Green Brigade we can spell!

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #587 on: May 02, 2013, 12:12:15 PM »

Secondly I think you'll find granddad can be spelt both ways check the Oxford English if you don't believe me!  We're not the Green Brigade we can spell!

I agree with freethinker.  Stick to what your group are very good at ....creating noise and atmosphere and showing your full support for the club especially when the rest of the ground goes quiet.  Who other clubs choose as their manager is not our concern really.  Even if it's an eejit like Di Canio.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #588 on: May 02, 2013, 01:35:55 PM »

I agree with freethinker.  Stick to what your group are very good at ....creating noise and atmosphere and showing your full support for the club especially when the rest of the ground goes quiet.  Who other clubs choose as their manager is not our concern really.  Even if it's an eejit like Di Canio.

I disagree with Freethinker.  I thought it was a witty banner that was relevant to the opposition we were playing.  As for restricting the messages that are displayed does that mean any comments on the state of the modern game in banners should also be considered taboo?  If Brigada were displaying overtly political messages in every match that would be different but there's nothing wrong with being a bit topical every now and then.

Offline freethinker

« Reply #589 on: May 02, 2013, 01:58:01 PM »
I disagree with Freethinker.  I thought it was a witty banner that was relevant to the opposition we were playing.  As for restricting the messages that are displayed does that mean any comments on the state of the modern game in banners should also be considered taboo?  If Brigada were displaying overtly political messages in every match that would be different but there's nothing wrong with being a bit topical every now and then.

Comments on the state of the modern game would be relevant to football. Politics and religion aren't.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #590 on: May 02, 2013, 02:50:40 PM »

Opposition to Facism is not a new thing where we are concerned and when it rears it's ugly head an overt protest of this kind is to be welcomed.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #591 on: May 02, 2013, 02:54:14 PM »
Is opposing fascism politics or just an expression of morality?

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #592 on: May 02, 2013, 02:56:40 PM »
Can't agree in this case. Fascism should be challenged wherever it raises its ugly head. Di Canio is an avowed fascist and his presence sends a bad signal that such views are tolerated. The far right should not for one minute think that football is fertile ground for them again. I remember the NF at matches. Never again.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #593 on: May 02, 2013, 02:59:03 PM »

Comments on the state of the modern game would be relevant to football. Politics and religion aren't.

As has already been stated, tell that to the NF and the BNP that have tried to use football to their advantage.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #594 on: May 02, 2013, 03:05:25 PM »
We're Aston Villa, we sit on the fence.

Offline freethinker

« Reply #595 on: May 02, 2013, 03:11:30 PM »

As has already been stated, tell that to the NF and the BNP that have tried to use football to their advantage.

I wouldn't be happy if I saw a BNP banner at Villa Park. Or a 'Fuck the Poll Tax' banner. Or an anti-war banner. I just don't think it's the time or the place.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #596 on: May 02, 2013, 03:22:58 PM »
When is the time and place to protest against the decision of Sunderland Football Club to appoint a Fascist as manager?

I'd say a match against Sunderland Football Club is the best bet.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #597 on: May 02, 2013, 03:25:46 PM »
The poll tax has no relevance to football. The opposition manger being a fascist does.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #598 on: May 02, 2013, 03:30:59 PM »
The manner in which the banner is written is I think aimed at Sunderland fans and players.  What say do they have in who is the manager of their club?  If it was the intention to show an anti-fascist remark against Di Canio why not just have something directed purely at him?

Offline MonsXI

« Reply #599 on: May 02, 2013, 03:34:32 PM »
The manner in which the banner is written is I think aimed at Sunderland fans and players.  What say do they have in who is the manager of their club?  If it was the intention to show an anti-fascist remark against Di Canio why not just have something directed purely at him?

It was a play on a song lyric.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal