collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Carew  (Read 27549 times)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: 10% Villa- John Carew jailed.
« Reply #105 on: November 16, 2022, 07:15:01 PM »
Always amazes me that rich people like this do not have decent accountants to address all this shit

If you believe some on here, that's an oxymoron. ;)
:)

Offline dcdavecollett

Re: John Carew
« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2022, 12:18:27 AM »
Silly John!

Just get American citizenship, declare yourself to be a corporation and so pay minimal tax.

Job's a good 'un!

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2022, 10:13:00 AM »
Silly John!

Just get American citizenship, declare yourself to be a corporation and so pay minimal tax.

Job's a good 'un!
I can tell you from experience, it really is not that simple.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2022, 12:30:24 PM »
Silly John!

Job's a good 'un!

Seconded !

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2022, 12:37:18 PM »
Silly John!

Job's a good 'un!

Seconded !
Its a common misconception that the US is a low tax country.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2022, 12:40:15 PM »
It depends where in the US you're based.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2022, 12:45:24 PM »
Not really.Federal Tax is the same everywhere.

Offline Risso

« Reply #112 on: November 22, 2022, 02:16:31 PM »
Not really.Federal Tax is the same everywhere.

Yes I know, 21% which compared to most countries is low. Each state then adds on their own percentage, which I think vary between something like 2% and 12%. Something like that, I don't do much US work.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #113 on: November 22, 2022, 02:22:10 PM »
Delaware always used to the be the 'low-tax' state but I think that's changing now. For a while a huge amount of the 'tech bro' companies were based there.

Offline Risso

« Reply #114 on: November 22, 2022, 03:11:32 PM »
Delaware always used to the be the 'low-tax' state but I think that's changing now. For a while a huge amount of the 'tech bro' companies were based there.

It'll probably always be the corporation capital of the US. Ongoing lack of transparency being the main reason, but it's also got the infrastructure.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #115 on: November 22, 2022, 03:11:54 PM »
Don't these footballers with all this money have accountants to do there tax returns.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #116 on: November 22, 2022, 03:25:48 PM »

It'll probably always be the corporation capital of the US. Ongoing lack of transparency being the main reason, but it's also got the infrastructure.

Yes, indeed, I mean the low tax part is changing, it's about 10th lowest state now I think.

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #117 on: November 22, 2022, 03:32:09 PM »

Which, I believe, was also one of the reasons Fight Club (the book) was set there.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #118 on: November 22, 2022, 03:32:57 PM »
Don't these footballers with all this money have accountants to do there tax returns.

Carew's problem isn't really about paying tax but rather about residency. There are very strict rules on tax in Norway whereby if you spend more than a certain numbers of days in the country you have to pay tax as a resident, him, or someone working for him, miscaculated the number of days so incorrectly believed he didn't need to pay tax.

Offline Risso

« Reply #119 on: November 22, 2022, 03:41:55 PM »

Carew's problem isn't really about paying tax but rather about residency. There are very strict rules on tax in Norway whereby if you spend more than a certain numbers of days in the country you have to pay tax as a resident, him, or someone working for him, miscaculated the number of days so incorrectly believed he didn't need to pay tax.

It seems ridiculously extreme to send him to prison for what seems like a case of negligence rather than a concerted effort at lillegal evasion. I'm not saying the UK system is perfect, but over here it goes something like:

Do your best to illegally hide your income and assets and don't fess up when found out - criminal charges and possible prison
As above, but hold your hands up and pay up when told to do so - pay the tax, plus big penalty (sometimes 2 x the tax evaded) plus interest. Probably no prison.
Use of a clever avoidance scheme found not to work at a tribunal - penalties and interest, HMRC publishing your name and them watching your every step for the rest of your days
Careless mistake/negligence - depending on the severity, maybe penalties, maybe not, but definitely interest on the tax outstanding.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal