collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:56:49 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Smithy
[Today at 07:52:18 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Nev
[Today at 07:47:44 AM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Holte L2
[Today at 07:43:56 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Axl Rose
[Today at 07:42:16 AM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 07:36:37 AM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 07:22:22 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:21:02 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Randys Reaction  (Read 39089 times)

Offline Locko

Re: Randys Reaction
« Reply #120 on: June 18, 2011, 10:11:34 PM »
London, Manchester, and Liverpool are awash with successful, competative football clubs.

Unfortunatey we live in Birmingham a city that's managed one League Championship in 100 years.

Clearly it's down to Aston Villa to give the people of Birmingham something to shout about, but I think it's fairly clear now that with Randy Lerner as owner  we'll do no more than tread water.

This precisely. THe appointment of shit like AM confirns to me Lerner has neither the wherewithal or nous to nmake a real go of it; as such he should f*ck off and take his lickspittle lackies with hinm and sell to someoene who can put us in a position to really compete. From day one he's been riding the baloney pony - fed us all shovels full of horseshit which we gullibly swallowed down  after enduring Ellis's tenure. In short we were duped. Most Browns fans as far as my undertanding goes wouldn't piss on Lerner if he was on fire. I'm now beginning to understand why....

Why has it taken five years to say this if you've thought it all along?

I've had misgivings ever since the petulant fallout with MON;The incomprehesibly muddled selection process over the last two managerial appointments leads me to question the competence of the board and general structure at all levels. Randy was lucky in so much as on take over he replaced a generally loathed ex-chairman, so getting everyone onside was never going to be horrendously difficult.He was also bequeathed a fairly healthy set of finances ( debt free) and a decent manager in situ. Five years on we are arguably worse off than when he arrived, but with a far higher level of expectation from the fan base, a toxic combination. I'm not overly convinced by his stewardship over the last 18 months. It all seemed too good to be true and probably was, we all lapped it up and now the party is over and in the cold light of day much of what we saw in the first instance appears o be little more than smoke and mirrors. What a shame it will end like this...   

I repeat. Why has it taken five years to say this if you felt it all along?

I like pretty much everyone was swept along in that euphoria of being rid of Doug, and bought hook line and sinker talk of reinstating us amongst the elite. Five years on I feel I've been sold a pup. For someone who couldn't put a foot wrong  initially he's looking more fallible by the day, mounting debt, poor managerial appointments. Not such a rosey picture now is it? I no longer believe he's the man for the job ,just as old Douglas wasn't before him. Five years is a long time and opinions are shaped by events, are they not? In adversity he's been found wanting in my eyes. I'd not be sad if he called it quits and sold up...       

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #121 on: June 18, 2011, 10:25:33 PM »
I don't know how you can say McClaren is better? How do you judge how good someone is anyway? If it is on pasts record I'd say McCleish has the better record.
I wonder if McCleish was not in charge of Birmingham before us but Fulham how many people would be chosing McClaren over McCleish?
I didn't want either, I wanted the best out there, they just didn't want us.

If McLeish had just taken Fulham down, two years after relegating them the first time I think we'd see a similar level of vitriol.

Most fans will probably agree that relegation is worse than using an umbrella.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #122 on: June 18, 2011, 10:27:55 PM »
Hilts, I keep asking and you keep dodging....what was the field of candidates willing and able to take the Villa job right now?
Eh?  You've asked me once as far as I can tell, and I've only just read it.  Besides, I've already given you McClaren.  To that you can add Benitez, who was practically reading out his CV at one point.  Hughes, Moyes, Jol, Van Gaal, Flores, Rijkaard and even Martinez would have been better bets than McLeish, in my view.  And that's without even turning my mind to it.

Now you may say "X Y Z turned us down" to which I would ask how hard did we try?  I'd also ask why did the Benitez thing fall through?  Why did we cancel McClaren's interview?  If it was because of the fans' response, why not do the same with McLeish?  However the board conducted the search, if the end result was McLeish, with all those other names in the frame, then they fucked it up massively.

You can't seriously believe McLeish was the best available candidate, surely?  But if you do, perhaps you could say why, because I'd like some sort of insight into why the board inexplicably thought the same.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2011, 10:46:25 PM »
I don't know how you can say McClaren is better? How do you judge how good someone is anyway? If it is on pasts record I'd say McCleish has the better record.
I wonder if McCleish was not in charge of Birmingham before us but Fulham how many people would be chosing McClaren over McCleish?
I didn't want either, I wanted the best out there, they just didn't want us.

If McLeish had just taken Fulham down, two years after relegating them the first time I think we'd see a similar level of vitriol.

Most fans will probably agree that relegation is worse than using an umbrella.
What I'm saying is if you look on paper McCleish has achieved more as a manager than McClaren. Lets face it, it would take a real genius and there might not be one out there to keep the rags in the top division. At least he achieved a high table finish with them.
He's here now, we have a good group of players lets see what he can do. Hopefully we'll see why Randy wanted him so much. I was totally shocked we went for him. Not because he is a shit manager because he isn't, I just didn't see it coming.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #124 on: June 18, 2011, 11:06:12 PM »
I like pretty much everyone was swept along in that euphoria of being rid of Doug, and bought hook line and sinker talk of reinstating us amongst the elite. Five years on I feel I've been sold a pup. For someone who couldn't put a foot wrong  initially he's looking more fallible by the day, mounting debt, poor managerial appointments. Not such a rosey picture now is it? I no longer believe he's the man for the job ,just as old Douglas wasn't before him. Five years is a long time and opinions are shaped by events, are they not? In adversity he's been found wanting in my eyes. I'd not be sad if he called it quits and sold up...       

You've reckoned it since day one, we're worse now that when he arrived and you want him to sell up. Yet you're only saying it now. Maybe in another five years you'll be able to say who he should sell to.

Offline Barca 2011

« Reply #125 on: June 18, 2011, 11:16:53 PM »

You've reckoned it since day one, we're worse now that when he arrived and you want him to sell up. Yet you're only saying it now. Maybe in another five years you'll be able to say who he should sell to.

Not quite where I hoped we would be 5 years on. Have been some good things, some bad, BUT have a feeling it aint gonna get any better. Time to go? Depends who wants to buy. If we are not careful we could end up with a Carson Yeung type character.There aint many people like Sheikh Mansoor shopping at the moment, and those who are dont want to shop in Brum.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2011, 11:19:58 PM »

Not quite where I hoped we would be 5 years on. Have been some good things, some bad, BUT have a feeling it aint gonna get any better. Time to go? Depends who wants to buy. If we are not careful we could end up with a Carson Yeung type character.There aint many people like Sheikh Mansoor shopping at the moment, and those who are dont want to shop in Brum.

And then, first time this mythical new owner does something unpopular, will we want him to sell up as well?

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2011, 12:08:29 AM »
I think it's a case of nearly all of Randy's ownership being great, but we've disagreed with recent events. However he's made the decision to appoint Mcleish, so we need to accept that now. I'm sure he will back him and I hope he will succeed. I wasn't happy with the appointment, but I'm sure Randy has done it for what he believes are the right reasons. Hopefully Mcleish will be a success.

Online Chap

• http://www.chap23.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
« Reply #128 on: June 19, 2011, 12:34:49 AM »
Alex McLeish will have a £40m war chest to help him hit the ground running in his new job at Aston Villa. Full story: Sunday Mirror

The right sort of reaction if this is true.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #129 on: June 19, 2011, 02:42:06 AM »
Alex McLeish will have a £40m war chest to help him hit the ground running in his new job at Aston Villa. Full story: Sunday Mirror

Does it say whether that includes the Young and Downing cash?

With Randy, I think he ALWAYS has the best intention for Aston Villa at heart however that does not mean he cannot make bad decisions or (always) be completely happy with events.  Hopefully he will realise that the recruitment of both Houllier and McLeish has gone badly and will carry out an internal review to see where we can improve and protect ourselves in the future. 

The reality is, we would probably never hear that such a review has ever taken place - and nor should we - so people will continue to moan.

However, based on previous actions he certainly deserves the chance to change and improve.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #130 on: June 19, 2011, 08:45:02 AM »

I'll be pleased if he gets that amount.
However, it is the Mirror, so we'll see.

Offline Locko

« Reply #131 on: June 19, 2011, 10:07:02 AM »

I didn't see it coming from day one I've never stated that, merely I was too willing to accept Lerner without really looking any deeper than he wasn't Doug. He's making a lot of cack handed decisions having proved so sure footed intially.There is a very Ellisian feel around VP lately. I'm sure my doubts would have surfaced earlier had I sought the opinions of Browns fans. As for who he sells to I don't have a list of prospective buyers, but I'm sure someone with the means would like the kudos that comes with owning a club in the English top flight. The very idea that there would be no takers should the club be put up for sale is a non sequitur, would they prove to be better owners is debatable.Please enlighten me as to the quantum leap forward we've taken during Mr Lerner's tenure? we're still a selling club, spiralling debt, no more trophies in the cabinet and now set up to become firmly entrenched midtable
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 10:09:25 AM by Locko »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #132 on: June 19, 2011, 10:26:50 AM »

Surely judging somebody over a period of time is the only way to judge them? 

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #133 on: June 19, 2011, 10:40:44 AM »
To the OP, no chance is the answer - he's looking forward to working with McLeish just as we should be looking at the appointment in a positive light - why keep bringing up the type of football Blues played - they best ux last season Ffs!

Can't wait to see the new era taking shape .

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #134 on: June 19, 2011, 11:06:37 AM »

And then, first time this mythical new owner does something unpopular, will we want him to sell up as well?

I agree that calling for Lerner to sell is OTT, but surely this is not simply a chilidish hiss because we didn't get the manager we wanted. Other things play a part too: a selection process so amateurish that even Graham Taylor saw the need to criticise it in public, the board's apparent inability to sell the club to a decent manager and the lack of pr skills to prevent us becoming a laughing stock in the media.

People are not only questioning the outcome, but the process leading to it as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal