collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Would you have MON back!!  (Read 60371 times)

Offline Outcast2006

Re: Would you have MON back!!
« Reply #240 on: June 13, 2011, 09:48:26 AM »
Looking at who is out there and the names we have been linked with he is better than 90% of them.  Yes I would take him back.  It wont happen though

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #241 on: June 13, 2011, 09:49:36 AM »
I thought he would end up at forest this morning after they sacked billy Davies but McClaran has signed according to BBC

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #242 on: June 13, 2011, 10:11:29 AM »
what would you say if he was given a budget to spend (subject to the sale of Milner), chose to spend it on McGeady and was knocked back by the board on the basis that they didn't think it was the right player to sign?
Still no reason to leave 5 days before the season. If McGeady was his target, then surely MON would have informed the board at the start of pre-season, so by your version of events they waited until the very last minute to say no? Do you really believe that? And where has this version come from by the way?

My understanding of things is that there couldn't be any signings until some of the deadwood was moved on to free up wages, irrespective of the milner sale.

That version of events is a completely made up version without any facts or information to substantiate it, which is exactly the same level of fact and information being used by people who call him a c*** for leaving when he did.

All we know is that O'Neill and Lerner no longer shared a vision of how to move forward. On that basis it is easy to imagine a scenario whereby O'Neill's position as manager had become untenable.

Leaving when he did is exactly what makes him a ******.

Offline joecrow

« Reply #243 on: June 13, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
the man should not be allowed back into villa park even if he is managing the opposing side. c#nt of the highest order.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #244 on: June 13, 2011, 11:43:32 AM »

The General and others have more or less said it was MON who instigated his leaving, so not sharing a vision doesn't come into it.
The guy threw his toys out of the pram and they cobbled together some statement about not sharing the same vision, because the alternative was to admit he'd left us totally unprepared for the new season with a brand new spanking 50k a week player who nobody wanted. Damage limitation, pure and simple.

What does "more or less" mean? I think it means you have made up a version that fits with your preconceptions and have probably convinced yourself that your version of events are fact.

I don't think there is much doubt that O'Neill resigned, the question is whether it was because after four years he suddenly decided to throw his toys out of the pram or if something changed to make his position untenable. I don't know the answer to that question and neither do you.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #245 on: June 13, 2011, 11:51:34 AM »
what would you say if he was given a budget to spend (subject to the sale of Milner), chose to spend it on McGeady and was knocked back by the board on the basis that they didn't think it was the right player to sign?
Still no reason to leave 5 days before the season. If McGeady was his target, then surely MON would have informed the board at the start of pre-season, so by your version of events they waited until the very last minute to say no? Do you really believe that? And where has this version come from by the way?

My understanding of things is that there couldn't be any signings until some of the deadwood was moved on to free up wages, irrespective of the milner sale.

That version of events is a completely made up version without any facts or information to substantiate it, which is exactly the same level of fact and information being used by people who call him a c*** for leaving when he did.

All we know is that O'Neill and Lerner no longer shared a vision of how to move forward. On that basis it is easy to imagine a scenario whereby O'Neill's position as manager had become untenable.

Leaving when he did is exactly what makes him a c***.

Who was the ****** when Saunders left?

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #246 on: June 13, 2011, 11:56:54 AM »
MON did reasonably well for Villa.  Not as well as Brian Little, or BFR, or Graham Taylor (first time) but he did OK.  Would David O'Leary have done as well as MON if he had been given the same resources?  Who knows, but DOL did get Villa to 6th on a fraction of what MON needed.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #247 on: June 13, 2011, 11:57:55 AM »
If Martin comes back I hope he pops into The Aston Social. I'd like a quiet word.

Offline Mark H

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #248 on: June 13, 2011, 12:00:53 PM »
easy answer - No thanks

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #249 on: June 13, 2011, 12:04:36 PM »

Your just looking at the silverware won where the point mentioned is to do with a manager leaving the club and the historical referece to RS departure. It not about whether who was the greatest manager.

Okay, so Saunders left a legacy where a rookie manager won the European Cup and O'Neill left a legacy where an experienced manage who had previously won the European Cup could only struggle to mid-table.

Dave, pedant alert.

I am no Scouse historian but I am certain Ged never won the European Cup. Benitez won it in what I think was his first season.

Ged did OK at Liverpool, primarily in that 2001 season, but he never won the league or Old Big Ears. I would have liked him to remain in charge this summer as I think he could have surprised a few people with a full pre-season.

No to MON coming back for me. In my opinion he did a good job - three 6th place finishes, knowing we would give anybody a game and be hard to beat, our first final in a decade, etc - but coming back would be unpopular and pointless. Nobody out there excites me at the moment though, and there is no perfect candidate we're overlooking. It could be a strange summer in B6.

To parraphrase; - {In my opinion he did a good job - three 6th place finishes, knowing we would give anybody a game and be hard to beat, our first final in a decade, etc - but coming back would be unpopular and pointless. Nobody out there excites me at the moment though}.

AND add to that; restoring the clubs name and involment in europe. Being already familiar with most of the playing squad so the club can hit the premiership road running immediately (which is worth how many invaluable league points), and being (in the main ) judged by fans on behind the scenes circumstances that nobody really knows what went on, and a tribunial finding in his favour,  and no one else being out there at the moment available with a managerial record equal to MON. Inspite of all this, you still wouldnt give him your support if he walked back through the VP doors?   
The way are heading,  it might just be LC winner Mcleish in the hot seat!!!
Funny ol game football.
Inspite of all this looks like from the poll, a good percentage of fans would back him and the club if he did come back.   But I suppose it all about opinion.

Mr Gaztonniller, you raise some great points, many of which I have raised myself at various points in the past 10 months.

However, I think there is simply too much anti MON sentiment at Villa Park for his return to even be considered seriously. I have still not heard an authoritative version of the events of last August to explain his departure, and thus refuse to throw vitriol at anybody. If more people on ths (generally intelligent and articulate) site would accept McLeish over MON then I think that tells you all you need to know about the reception he would receive if he were to be re-appointed. I can see no circumstances in which it would work.

Whoever comes in as manager will have my support - yes, including Alex McLeish - even if they don't inspire me. In fact I cannot think of a single manager we have been linked with who would inspire me.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #250 on: June 13, 2011, 12:07:29 PM »
Whoever comes in as manager will have my support - yes, including Alex McLeish - even if they don't inspire me. In fact I cannot think of a single manager we have been linked with who would inspire me.

Who would be your ideal?

Offline supertom

« Reply #251 on: June 13, 2011, 12:18:45 PM »
Yes. Though his departure was disgraceful. If he did come back, I'd give him the benefit of time to get things turned around (not as much time as a new man, McCleish excluded, would warrant). Results would have to be decent from the start. But we'd be organised, hard working and tough to beat. For a start, that would be good. Perhaps when City need to sell a few players, we could get Milner back too.

He'd get mullered by many on here, and rightly, but if we're back competing in the top 6, then it could work.

Putting aside the animosity, of the names we're realistically linked with, I don't think a single one of them would do better than Martin O Neill. Sadly, because it means we've had our bright moment for this particular period in Footy history. Maybe when the economic restrictions kick in, then we'll have a shot at competing again, with the benefit of our academy. But we'll have to wait a few years yet.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #252 on: June 13, 2011, 12:30:09 PM »

Who would be your ideal?

Unrealistically, somebody like Mourinho, Fergie, Wenger, Ancelloti.

Realistically and available, I have no ideal, but would accept Benitez, Hughes, Hughton.

Realistically and unavailable, I would have accepted McLaren, Jol, Hodgson, Coyle or Moyes.

This all seems so dull......

Offline glasses

« Reply #253 on: June 13, 2011, 12:35:14 PM »
Yes, and I'd get rid of Paul Faulkner.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #254 on: June 13, 2011, 12:43:19 PM »

Leaving when he did is exactly what makes him a c***.

Who was the c*** when Saunders left?

Bendall. Shall we play 'spot the trophy' with O'Neill?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal