collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PeterWithe
[Today at 08:35:48 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 08:35:15 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Richard E
[Today at 08:28:33 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by PeterWithe
[Today at 08:28:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Richard
[Today at 08:26:22 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Meanwood Villa
[Today at 08:24:27 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by andyh
[Today at 08:19:53 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Ian.
[Today at 08:10:49 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Young completes Man Utd move  (Read 134528 times)

Offline Cjamesk

Re: Young set for Man Utd
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2011, 04:14:11 PM »
Gutted but good luck to him, whenever I've bumped into him in my local town ( Stevenage ) he's always taken time to chat and sign an autograph.

Top bloke imo.

Offline Redman

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2011, 04:14:15 PM »
Except that a chunk of that is for Ngog (why?). Dalglish has a pretty good transfer track record over the years.
I think it's one of those deliberately ambiguous transfers where nobody is sure of the fee. Both clubs want to make it seem like they're getting the best deal.

I've read a straight £20m.
I've read £13m + N'gog.
And I've read a straight £16m with the N'gog deal happening separately.

God knows which it is.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2011, 04:19:09 PM »
Last season he was a loose cannon with his best perfomances being in an England shirt. He's still a great player but needs a strong manager to bring some discipline to his game. Ferguson will do that.

Fully agree with that.  He'll be a better player for them than we've seen of late.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2011, 04:38:41 PM »

I've read a straight £20m.
I've read £13m + N'gog.
And I've read a straight £16m with the N'gog deal happening separately.

God knows which it is.

It would make more sense if it was a straight £13 million or £20 million and Sunderland had to take Ngog as well.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2011, 04:48:50 PM »
i dont think we will be buying players without a manager, we are still  paying Irelands wages

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2011, 04:52:05 PM »
I know the deal will happen soon and I think it will be Manure as his destination I think we have already got a replacement in Marc Albrighton so I'm not too worried about him going.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2011, 04:54:23 PM »
As mentioned earlier I think a percantage of the transfer fee will go to Watford, what percentage I don't know!

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2011, 04:59:18 PM »
Ash, if your reading this, best of luck with the wedding.  And just renew your contract here where you know it makes sense.  It could be you that makes us a Champions league team, and wouldnt that just be something to tell your grandkids, and the fact you have made it into the top ten Villa legends.  Go on....

Offline villa1

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2011, 05:12:14 PM »
To be fair, I have these feelings on it.

1. I honestly don't think we will miss him that much - I believe Marcy Marc is already 95% of the player Ash is - and given a run , will be a far better player - to me Ash is a cross between Tony Daley and Dalian Atkinson. I honestly think Marcy is similar to a young David Beckham - only time will tell if he realises his potential - but if he does - Ash will not be missed.

Albrighton is nowhere near the player that Young is yet. And i'll be shot down by others on here, but I don't think he ever will be. Just my opinion of course.

Redman,

Eyebrows raised at £24m for Bent? I think he proves his worth by scoring more goals than Carroll and Torres after their respective moves and cost far less.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing I suppose.

Good luck to Young, wherever he ends up. In some ways i'll be sorry to see him go, in some I won't.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2011, 05:28:02 PM »
As mentioned earlier I think a percantage of the transfer fee will go to Watford, what percentage I don't know!

think its 15% but i've seen 25% mentioned! Whoever wrote that one in deserves a kicking.

Offline Redman

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2011, 05:39:31 PM »
Redman,

Eyebrows raised at £24m for Bent? I think he proves his worth by scoring more goals than Carroll and Torres after their respective moves and cost far less.
Still early days though.

Bent was good business but it isn't just the transfer fee that determines value.

At £18-24m and £80,000 a week, you're paying a lot of money for a player who doesn't do much except score goals. His goals make him worth it but when he isn't scoring, that's a lot of money to paying him. Similar to Torres for the past 2 years.

Plus in 4-5 years, you'll need to buy a new Darren Bent.

Andy Carroll cost £35m and earns £85,000 a week I think. I doubt he'll ever be as prolific as Bent but he is more well-rounded and will earn his salary every week with his hold-up play, lay-offs and knock-downs.

Plus he won't need replacing for 10 years and if we decide to replace him sooner, he'll be young enough to fetch a decent fee.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 05:41:10 PM by Redman »

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2011, 05:44:28 PM »
Andy Caroll more rounded?! He's basically Mark Hateley. Even my scouse mate concedes you got well and truly ripped off

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2011, 05:45:58 PM »
Bent's already paid for himself by keeping us up.

Offline hartman_1982

« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2011, 05:46:54 PM »
Redman,

Still early days though.

Bent was good business but it isn't just the transfer fee that determines value.

At £18-24m and £80,000 a week, you're paying a lot of money for a player who doesn't do much except score goals. His goals make him worth it but when he isn't scoring, that's a lot of money to paying him. Similar to Torres for the past 2 years.

Plus in 4-5 years, you'll need to buy a new Darren Bent.

Andy Carroll cost £35m and earns £85,000 a week I think. I'll doubt he'll ever be as prolific as Bent but he is more well-rounded and will earn his salary every week with his hold-up play, lay-offs and knock-downs.

Plus he won't need replacing for 10 years and if we decide to replace him sooner, he'll be young enough to fetch a decent fee.
I can not see in what world you can argue that Carroll is better value. If you watch Darren Bent instead of listening to ill informed members of the press, you will see that he offers so much more than goals. He is, without doubt, the best striker in the league at playing on the last man. A man that is serially "just onside". He stretches play with his his runs into the channels, something that Carroll has never, and will never be able to do because of his lack of pace. There is a reason why Darren Bent is England's number 9 and Andy Carroll isn't.
You also have to look at character. Darren Bent works tirelessly and always has. Andy Carroll could quite easily end up in prison after another night on the tiles. I know who I would want in my team and I know who is better value, of the latter there can be very little arguement.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 05:50:28 PM by hartman_1982 »

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2011, 05:47:34 PM »
Carroll has enormous potential both as a goal scorer and target man. My only doubts over the fee is that he's still young and can still lose his way and with that big frame might be rather injury prone.

If he comes off I think he'll be a monster.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal