collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Young completes Man Utd move  (Read 134527 times)

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Young completes Man Utd move
« Reply #570 on: June 27, 2011, 09:37:15 AM »
Yeah I heard him in interview say he'd miss the fans and the club.

Offline Pete Green

« Reply #571 on: June 27, 2011, 09:40:54 AM »
Apologies if I I've missed it, but anything from Young regarding thanking the club or the Villa fans?

To be fair I'm not expecting him to say thanks to me, as I'm usually shouting something rude at him.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #572 on: June 27, 2011, 09:58:39 AM »
Sorry - still haven't learned how to do short links but that interview with Young is here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/united-complete-young-signing-but-miss-out-on-varane-to-real-2301888.html

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #573 on: June 27, 2011, 10:10:42 AM »
I don't think Ferguson is just a chequebook manager but Man Utd have used their financial muscle as much if not more than anyone else.

Ferdinand, Veron, Berbatov, Rooney, Anderson, Van Nistelrooy, Carrick, Nani and Hargreaves are all in the top 30 prices ever paid by an English club.

They've been happily paying top dollar ever since I can remember.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #574 on: June 27, 2011, 01:26:50 PM »
Not sure whether I wish him ill or well. I suppose, on balance, bearing in mind the club he's chosen, the former.

What is of more concern is the parallel with Yorke. Over a decade on, they continue to be the club you want to join; we continue to be the club you use as the stepping stone.

That's true, to a degree.

Compare and contrast the attitude supporters now and then though. Back then, we felt we weren't a million miles behind United and Yorke's departure felt like betrayal. Ditto Staunton's move back to Liverpool.

Now we have supporters virtually applauding him for getting his dream move. Different times.

Offline Nirog72

« Reply #575 on: June 29, 2011, 01:01:19 AM »
Winning things, qualifying for things etc allow them to pay over the odds. We'll be there one day, promise...!

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #576 on: June 29, 2011, 07:16:17 AM »
Not sure whether I wish him ill or well. I suppose, on balance, bearing in mind the club he's chosen, the former.

What is of more concern is the parallel with Yorke. Over a decade on, they continue to be the club you want to join; we continue to be the club you use as the stepping stone.

That's true, to a degree.

Compare and contrast the attitude supporters now and then though. Back then, we felt we weren't a million miles behind United and Yorke's departure felt like betrayal. Ditto Staunton's move back to Liverpool.

Now we have supporters virtually applauding him for getting his dream move. Different times.

Interesting comparison.  I actually think it's up to the club to show players that Villa is somewhere worth being long-term but that is nigh on impossible when you're not in the champions league - something that wasn't the case in the mid to late nineties.  Players and fans know it which is why you can't have a metaphorical swing at the likes of Young in quite the same way as Yorke.  It used to be that a player might have to leave to further their chances of playing for England, not the case now of course.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal