collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Risso
[Today at 04:19:35 PM]

Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 04:16:31 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 04:12:37 PM]

FFP by Lsvilla
[Today at 04:10:32 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by pablo_picasso
[Today at 04:06:51 PM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 03:59:30 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Nii Lamptey
[Today at 03:58:15 PM]

VAR by Somniloquism
[Today at 03:49:31 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Risso
[Today at 04:19:35 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 04:16:31 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by LeeB
[Today at 04:14:09 PM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 04:12:37 PM]

Re: FFP by Lsvilla
[Today at 04:10:32 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Monty
[Today at 04:09:31 PM]

Re: FFP by olaftab
[Today at 04:08:28 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 04:08:02 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: We'll work on defending set-pieces in pre-season - McAllister  (Read 26100 times)

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
Re: We'll work on defending set-pieces in pre-season - McAllister
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2011, 06:56:44 PM »
Gary Mcallister in todays Metro ' we will be buying a new left back in the summer of 2019 and a new goalkeeper in the January transfer window of 2044'

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2011, 07:02:11 PM »
I heard Lee Dixon speaking the other day about how George Graham would take him, Bould, Adams and Winterburn through what was expected of them positionally in different situations.  He did it day-after-day, week-after-week.  He said it was mind-numbingly dull, but eventually it became second nature. 

I suppose that's the difference between having a defence as tight as a gnat's snatch,  or one as gaping as Jordan's.

What a great way to put it  ;D

Offline JUAN PABLO

« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2011, 07:05:26 PM »
Gary Mcallister in todays Mirror ' we might ask  Ashley Young to stop taking every fooking free kick'

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2011, 07:12:50 PM »

If that is true then who are the ones that are refusing to adapt?  If it's Dunne and Collins then why are they playing?  If it's Clark and Cuellar then why are they even on the bench?  And whoever it is, why did we not just bring in 2 new defenders in January?  I have serious doubts about this management and if they are saying that they can't get the players to adapt then they are as piss weak and uninspiring as they seem.

Shockinng isn't it.  The guy off the guardian has been saying for a while that Houllier has had to deal with loads of stuff behind the scenes from the players.  Pure speculation but I'd imagine that there was a point where he got close to kicking those players out (at the height of the mutiny speculation) however what can he do, when they're experience players and arguably very good players.  Exactly what we need to get us out of this.

He'd look an even bigger mug if he dropped Dunne/Collins* completely and played less experienced players and we continued to lose.  In the meantime the dropped players would be in the back ground feeding the mutiny "see told you so he hasn't got a clue...".

I'd say he has been between a rock and a hard place pretty much from day one.  Unfortunately for him, I think the damage is too great and even without any trouble makers the other players respect for him will be tarnished.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 07:47:28 PM by Dante Lavelli »

Offline JUAN PABLO

« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2011, 07:23:32 PM »
Gary Mcallister in todays Daily Star ' we have had words with the U.S forces about taking out Stephen Ireland in the same way as Bin Laden '     

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2011, 07:25:02 PM »
When I played the game at a decent amatuer level, we would work on defensive set up on the one night a week we did training, well our defense would. Its pretty obvious they dont work on this stuff and thats why they are so shit at defending. I want to know what the bloody hell is going on at BH.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2011, 07:27:53 PM »
Or, they tried to get a couple of defenders in Jan, it did not come off, they have to get through with Lauren and Hardy until May, don't want to destroy Clark in the centre and have reservations for whatever reason over Cuellar (not commanding enough would be my guess) and the reference is basically saying we will have 2 new centre halves and a new pair of full backs, with a more commanding keeper. As such, we can't work on the camels we have so have resigned ourselves to sorting it pre season. That would be my guess. Houllier had the best defence in the league for seasons at Liverpool, if there is something I am convinced he will sort if he comes back, then it is the defence.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2011, 07:30:18 PM »
I think Cuellar is commanding enough. It's his style that does not fit.

Offline ozzjim

« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2011, 07:32:06 PM »
YOu mean simply hoofing it out of play at every opportunity. We conceded enough throws against Stoke without Cuellar hoofing. I love Carlos, but he is not Baresi.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2011, 07:34:19 PM »
His style is rather agricultural, yes. There's the ball coming towards my goal. Get rid of it. He was outstanding against the Dingles and has not had a look in since.

Offline b23

• GM : 02.09.2019
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2011, 07:39:32 PM »
YOu mean simply hoofing it out of play at every opportunity. We conceded enough throws against Stoke without Cuellar hoofing. I love Carlos, but he is not Baresi.

Yes. Its probably stating the bleeding obvious but his distribution of the ball is what stops him getting picked by the manager. I do like Cuellars no nonsense approach to defending though.

Offline glasses

« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2011, 07:41:43 PM »
The opposition can't score from row Z.

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2011, 07:42:38 PM »
Or, they tried to get a couple of defenders in Jan, it did not come off, they have to get through with Lauren and Hardy until May, don't want to destroy Clark in the centre and have reservations for whatever reason over Cuellar (not commanding enough would be my guess) and the reference is basically saying we will have 2 new centre halves and a new pair of full backs, with a more commanding keeper. As such, we can't work on the camels we have so have resigned ourselves to sorting it pre season. That would be my guess. Houllier had the best defence in the league for seasons at Liverpool, if there is something I am convinced he will sort if he comes back, then it is the defence.
So you think we will buy a whole new first choice defence in the summer or bring in 4 if we get Kyle................

Offline ozzjim

« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2011, 07:46:44 PM »
Convinced if Houllier is back then we will be signing a new back 4, and keeper. Walker I think will stay in some form, probably another 12 month loan, but the rest will go if the current management team stay. Collins we may even make a profit from... amazingly.

Re Cuellar, I agree the opposition can't score from row Z, unless of course it is Villa defending the ensuing set piece, then they are pretty likely to score.

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2011, 07:47:09 PM »
What's this fucking 'WE' bit?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal