collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 10:17:44 AM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by TheMalandro
[Today at 10:16:57 AM]

Peter McParland 90 today by eamonn
[Today at 10:15:18 AM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 10:03:28 AM]

Fan Voted Player of the Year by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 09:44:04 AM]

NSWE Investment by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 09:29:01 AM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 09:10:10 AM]

Ollie Watkins by LeeB
[Today at 08:12:59 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Where is the service???  (Read 18598 times)

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
Re: Where is the service???
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2011, 11:14:56 PM »
Bent is an opportunist he isn't a hold up or fetch and carry player, he has scored twice in three games not bad for someone still getting to know his teammated. One thing worries me about Albrighton, when he first got his chance he was putting in quick low crosses into dangerous areas, that seems to have disappeared lately.

2 tap ins in 4 games.

He looks rubbish every time he has an opportunity to turn and pass.

Don't get me wrong I like Bent because he draws players with him and he is always central looking for a tap in.

I'm just so angry at how shite Petrov was today.

Offline villajk

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2011, 11:18:10 PM »
Bent is a poacher.  He needs a supplier playing up front with him.  I would like to see he and Heskey playing together. 

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2011, 11:55:22 PM »
There were one or two times that the ball was nearly there if Bent had got on the end this thread wouldn't be here.

Yes but that's the point of the thread.  Bent didn't get on the end of them because they were overhit;  Hence, poor service. 

I don't agree, Bent did not look sharp today, he was slow too react to every through ball.

I am a little worried, because he does absolutely nothing, he doesn't lead the line at all and has a terrible touch.

There were two attempted through balls from Ash that Usain Bolt would've struggled to get to so I'm not sure you can blame Bent for those, poor service is the only thing to be said for that.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2011, 11:58:54 PM »
I don't doubt Bent will get goals for us (I mean he could have easily had 1 today and he almost got a touch on Walkers effort, then we'd be saying '4 in 4, great start'), but we need to be more creative through the centre.

I hope Bradley can offer that. 'Cos Petrov and Nige certainly can not. Otherwise we may have to wait until next season to see the best of Bent.

Offline villa for life

« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2011, 03:49:17 AM »
Yea, imagine Bent in the Championship - he'll score more than Steve Bull did!!

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2011, 06:15:12 AM »
Just watched the highlights. Downing involved in every single one of ours. Yet people still think he should be dropped.

I'd agree the AY in the hole position is hit and miss at best though.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2011, 09:05:25 AM »
Thought Downing had a better game yesterday (I've criticised him recently as well) but what was Young bringing to the proceedings until he moved out left in the last 15 minutes or so.I would be quite happy to let him (AY) move on in the summer as he hasn't been the same since he got tagged world class by the last manager.
If we are going to play with 2 wide men it should be Downing on the Left and Albrighton right.
 It was interesting seeing the way Bent hangs in between the two central defenders, add in gabby somehow, that combination would create a fair degree of uncertainty for opposing defences, especially with their pace.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2011, 09:16:46 AM »
Agree

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2011, 09:30:19 AM »
I think Ashley Young should be dropped.

Offline wombat

« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2011, 09:48:44 AM »
I think Ashley must have it written in his contract that he must play 'up front'..... Because otherwise it baffles me how many times we can try this god awful formation and see him add absolutely nothing.
Alas we seem to have found with Houllier another stubborn git who wants to play a certain way and to cock with everything else. Yesterday's 2nd half was dire!

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2011, 09:56:37 AM »
I think Ashley must have it written in his contract that he must play 'up front'..... Because otherwise it baffles me how many times we can try this god awful formation and see him add absolutely nothing.
Alas we seem to have found with Houllier another stubborn git who wants to play a certain way and to cock with everything else. Yesterday's 2nd half was dire!

Did you notice that for a lot of the second half Ashley was out wide and Gabby down the middle?
Did you notice Ashley's involvement in the goals in recent games against Man City, Wigan and Manu? He's not above criticism but exaggerating the point doesn't help the debate.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 09:58:28 AM by Chris Smith »

Offline tarzansbrother

« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2011, 10:08:44 AM »
Chris can you explain what Gabby,Young did in the second half? Young had one shanked shot wide and got a free kick. The fastest i saw Gabby run was when he was subbed. I fully expect Young to provide a spark or create that Merson type magic, sadly apart from a few well taken pens i see nothing.

Offline django

« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2011, 10:26:08 AM »
The major difference between this season and last is Young playing centrally instead of on the wing. I haven't been impressed with the change all season and our league position doesn't suggest it's been a good switch either.

The change has effected the positions and performances of several other players, when albrighton was ready to come on yesterday i realised we wouldn't be any worse off without young, gabby or bent on the pitch. This seems like a gross tactical error if nearly a third of your outfield players are barely involved in the game, more worrying if it's all of your attacking threat bar downing (who I also think is better on the left)

Anyone know youngs assists etc for this season compared to previous ones?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2011, 10:26:27 AM »
Chris can you explain what Gabby,Young did in the second half? Young had one shanked shot wide and got a free kick. The fastest i saw Gabby run was when he was subbed. I fully expect Young to provide a spark or create that Merson type magic, sadly apart from a few well taken pens i see nothing.

We didn't play well in the second half but that was with Ashley down the middle for some of it and out wide for some of it. We played well in the first half when he was down the middle. This suggests to me that the issue is elsewhere in the team. My feeling is that it about getting the right balance behind them and being able to defend a lead.

Think back to games against Man City, Wigan and Manu and think again about Ashley contributing "nothing" as he had a direct hand in goals in all 3.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2011, 10:39:58 AM »
Ash doesn't score enough goals for him to remain as the second striker in my view

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal