collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Is the game ready for gays?  (Read 27787 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Is the game ready for gays?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 01:45:05 PM »
On a more serious note, I don’t think homophobia in football is in anyway comparable with the treatment of black players in the 70’s and 80’s. There are no homophobic versions of Goodison Park for example. We hear maybe one, two chants a season and directed towards one player. While this stick is only coming his way because he used to play for SHA, if he had remained at Arsenal before going to West Ham, then nobody would bat an eyelid at the man’s sexuality.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 01:51:05 PM »
There are no homophobic versions of Goodison Park for example.

As, to the best of my knowledge, there are no openly gay players, how do we know this?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 02:13:14 PM »
I think most people are pretty tolerant these days but even on a fairly enlightened website like this one casual homophobia is not uncommon. I think that’s because to most of us the thought of having sex with another man is just so odd.

So any gay player coming out will have to be prepared for a lot of childish and puerile comments but I don't think he'll experience much outright hostility.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 02:19:08 PM »
I'd be interested to know what Cyrille Regis's advice to a gay footballer would be. 

'Stay in the closet son - you're safer there' or 'grow a pair'.

Offline Smoke

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 02:34:14 PM »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 02:41:50 PM »

As, to the best of my knowledge, there are no openly gay players, how do we know this?

How do you compare the realty of an incredibly racist and hostile crowd, such as you’d get at Goodison with the “Everton are white, Everton are white" chants and attempt to draw parallels with a fear that something similar might develop at grounds if a player should be openly gay? You're confusing fact and speculation.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 03:58:45 PM »
If  players do "come out" would  clubs need separate  changing rooms for gay and non gay players?

What about bisexuals? That's three changing rooms right there.

What about trisexuals, those demented souls who will try anything, and are up for anything and also probably up everything given half a chance?

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 04:03:31 PM »
Poor old Justin Fashanu - gay and black - he'll be getting changed on the back of the coach

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 04:49:08 PM »
It's a sad world we live in when it's not accpetable for someone to be gay.

Racism was eventually eradicated (as far as I can see in England anyway), so it'd be nice to think homophobia will go the same way.

The number of people who turned out to see the Pope suggests that it won't any time soon

I didn't think it was that many to be honest. Didn't Jedi score higher than Catholic in the last cencus?

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2010, 05:08:14 PM »
Homosexuality in football is comparable to naming all the players that smoke or wear glasses - it would be improbable to think that there are none in the professional game, even just in Britain. The only way it will ever be bought into the open is if two or more players made a pact to do it at the same time. Just look at politics - Jeremy Thorpe's reputation was destroyed as leader of the Liberals due to his isolation in people finding out he was gay. Somebody else mentioned Justin Fashanu, which is a similar kind of thing. But usually you find politicians, pop stars, film stars etc all coming out within days and weeks of one another. Football, being a male-dominated culture, will only find it 'okay' if a group comes along as says so.

Offline PeterWithe

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 05:11:14 PM »

How do you compare the realty of an incredibly racist and hostile crowd, such as you’d get at Goodison with the “Everton are white, Everton are white" chants and attempt to draw parallels with a fear that something similar might develop at grounds if a player should be openly gay? You're confusing fact and speculation.

Could you have another go? I don't understand what you are saying.

Offline PeterWithe

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2010, 05:15:15 PM »
Homosexuality in football is comparable to naming all the players that smoke or wear glasses - it would be improbable to think that there are none in the professional game, even just in Britain. The only way it will ever be bought into the open is if two or more players made a pact to do it at the same time. Just look at politics - Jeremy Thorpe's reputation was destroyed as leader of the Liberals due to his isolation in people finding out he was gay. Somebody else mentioned Justin Fashanu, which is a similar kind of thing. But usually you find politicians, pop stars, film stars etc all coming out within days and weeks of one another. Football, being a male-dominated culture, will only find it 'okay' if a group comes along as says so.

Its a bit surprising that the more militant groups, I'm thinking Tatchells lot, haven't taken the matter into their own hands and exposed, if thats the right word, a player or two.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2010, 05:17:58 PM »
If  players do "come out" would  clubs need separate  changing rooms for gay and non gay players?

I was going to say that perhaps it will change over the next 10 years the way much of racism has been eradicated, but with comments like the above I will say 20 years.

My comment is  not homophobic...3 of my best friends are gay...  and I have discussed this issue with them. No it's about the basics ...think about it why do we have separate changing rooms for males and females?

Offline PeterWithe

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2010, 05:19:38 PM »

I was going to say that perhaps it will change over the next 10 years the way much of racism has been eradicated, but with comments like the above I will say 20 years.

My comment is  not homophobic...3 of my best friends are gay...  and I have discussed this issue with them. No it's about the basics ...think about it why do we have separate changing rooms for males and females?

Yeah but you don't have separate changing rooms for straight and gay people do you?

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2010, 05:23:24 PM »

Its a bit surprising that the more militant groups, I'm thinking Tatchells lot, haven't taken the matter into their own hands and exposed, if thats the right word, a player or two.

You can see how endemic the culture of fear is surrounding the issue by the amount of ex-footballers in the world that have come out since retirement. Fashanu aside, I can't think of a single one.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal