collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Running thread  (Read 175855 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: The Running thread
« Reply #450 on: September 10, 2016, 12:16:34 PM »
Well done.

I've this morning completed my 100th parkrunners.  Again, not the greatest feat listed on here, but I'm immensely proud of this particular milestone.

It's a great achievement, well done.  Not everybody has to be Mo Farah, and that shows an impressive amount of dedication.

I've had a relatively pain-free week with my back, so am daring to dream I might be able to start again.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #451 on: September 10, 2016, 06:07:49 PM »
Hate running.  Its the one thing that goes on you when you get older.  Can still swim and cycle just the same or thereabouts. 

People are always trying to get me to do a tri at the lake I swim at - its a massive no no.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #452 on: September 20, 2016, 01:29:03 PM »
I've just signed up for the Outlaw Ironman in Nottingham for July 2017.
It will be the second time I have done this event and my 6th Ironman overall.
The last time I participated in 2015 the weather was truly awful so I'm owed some good weather.

If you want bad weather you should have done Ironman Wales in 2014, swimming in 4 foot high waves was fun.

I've got Ironman Weymouth this weekend still toying with trying to squeeze another one in before year end somewhere warm and sunny.

Swimming in the sea Jon, silly that. Weymouth would be interesting. I am doing Outlaw again because it's nearby. I'm fed up with spending a fortune on entry fees, flights and accommodation. Good luck.

I quite fancy Outlaw one day, just to see how quick I can go over 140.6 miles, I've always done hilly events, Wales twice, Nice twice, Lake Placid & Maryland, Outlaw I've heard is flat and fast, sub 10 would be good.

That would be a massive ask Jon. It's flat not downhill. With good weather I'd hope for a pb which would see me go under 11.15. Have to get it down before I'm too old.

I think I could go sub 10 on the right course, I can do the swim under an hour and a 3:35 marathon, I just need a kind, flat or downhill bike route!

I think I've found the right course.  Ironman Copenhagen, August 20 2017 I'll be all out to try and break the magic 10.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #453 on: September 25, 2016, 11:23:03 AM »
Date for your diaries Sunday 15th October 2017, the first ever Birmingham International Marathon.

Entries open Tuesday 4th October at 12:00.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #454 on: September 25, 2016, 11:43:27 AM »
Date for your diaries Sunday 15th October 2017, the first ever Birmingham International Marathon.

Entries open Tuesday 4th October at 12:00.

If you're doing this year's half then you can enter from this Friday.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #455 on: October 04, 2016, 11:55:10 AM »
I am just over halfway through my Couch to 5k programme. Tomorrow I'm doing the dreaded Week 5 Day 3 run which is "a 5 minute brisk walk then 20 minutes jog with no walking breaks". I'm quite pleased with myself because up to now I've been able to do every session quite easily and I can see my stamina and recovery rate improving all the time. My weight is coming down and my stomach is less, erm, inclined to mould itself to my T-shirts...I'm hooked.

I'll be doing the penultimate week in East Germany (I still like to call it that) which is three 25 minute jogs. One day will be in the Tiergarten in Berlin which makes it even more fun. We will be in Madrid after that so I'm hoping to do one of the runs in the Retiro Park too.

I say 'I' but I mean 'we' because SWMBO is doing the programme with me (although she easily does 5ks on her own).We are hoping to consolidate our 5k prowess then push on to the 10k programme and see how it goes. I'm getting a the odd twinge form lmy right knee below the meniscus, I'd hate that to get worse and stop me from continuing. We shall see.

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #456 on: October 04, 2016, 12:37:10 PM »
I am just over halfway through my Couch to 5k programme.... ...I'm hooked.

Fabulous! Sent a DM w/ a link that might help with the knee pain.

Offline LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #457 on: October 11, 2016, 08:52:28 AM »
Did the Royal Parks Half on Sunday. When I did it last year it was my first ever half and I managed 1:45'10''. I'd been really determined to break 1:45 so was pretty gutted about those extra 10 seconds. This year I paced it a lot better and also used energy gels for the first time. Managed a 1:39'39''. Even got a sprint finish in. 😀

I'm 40 next month so I wonder if I may have peaked now...

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #458 on: October 12, 2016, 07:59:35 AM »
Did the Royal Parks Half on Sunday. When I did it last year it was my first ever half and I managed 1:45'10''. I'd been really determined to break 1:45 so was pretty gutted about those extra 10 seconds. This year I paced it a lot better and also used energy gels for the first time. Managed a 1:39'39''. Even got a sprint finish in. 😀

Well done Lee, that's a great effort.

Offline LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #459 on: October 12, 2016, 01:24:37 PM »

Well done Lee, that's a great effort.

Cheers, JD.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #460 on: October 16, 2016, 07:58:05 AM »
Best of luck to all H and V'ers doing the Birmingham Half today. Looking like we are in for a drenching.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #461 on: October 22, 2016, 07:30:50 AM »
I am at the end of the seventh week of the couch to 5k programme. I am supposed to do the third of three 25 minute jogs this week (approx 4.2km for me). However, my right knee is painful and the outside of my left ankle too. I have an x-ray and a scan scheduled for the first week of November and my doctor prescribed some Ketoprofen (anti-inflammation). He said not to increase my runs when I was on 22 mins but I added the three minutes anyway. Currently, even walking is giving me gip (stiffness, pain) and I'm grimacing now and again as I hobble about

I'm sitting here in ex-DDR, the sun is out and I want to do my run but am worried I'll make things worse. I'm not ok Hun, as it were. Do I  say fuck it and run or do I say don't risk it?

Yours, gutted.

Edit. While I still welcome any advice or comments, she-who-must-be-obeyed has told me "[I'm] not going running in that state you fucking twat" or words to that effect.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 08:15:48 AM by Bad English »

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #462 on: October 22, 2016, 08:22:09 AM »
Just off to do Walsall park run at the Arboretum.  Then home for a soak in a nice hot bath to get ready for the match this afternoon. Still on cloud 9 after trip to Reading the other night so hoping for a PB!

Online 260475

« Reply #463 on: October 22, 2016, 08:52:05 AM »
Don't know your age group or lifestyle, but could be Gout if you are bevvying. Get off the piss and particularly avoid wheat beer if you are in the DDR. Watch the sugary drinks esp those with Fructose in them. There are reams of books on the subject, and certain exotic foods will trigger it, but I found it was mainly beer and sugars that had to be moderated, far easier than carrying a food list around everywhere you go.

Sugar is hidden in McD's (shite anyway), ketchup, mushy peas, gravy, chinese and curries (avoid the sauces) fizzy drinks, cakes , sweets (obvious but you don't realise how much) etc. Emergency remedies are a 'water only' detox, and keep your joints warm in bed (socks - yes!)

Finally take Vitamin D3 daily - non prescription

Worked for me.

Or maybe you have a sports injury? !!! Good luck

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #464 on: October 24, 2016, 12:24:28 PM »
Edit. While I still welcome any advice or comments

Did you have a gait analysis before you started running? It could be something as simple as not having the correct shoes for pronation etc. and cushioning. You could also take Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM for your joints. Yoga helped along with the Bullet Proof knees exercises.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal