collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by frank black
[Today at 01:19:41 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by eamonn
[Today at 01:18:48 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 01:17:43 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 01:17:12 PM]

Re: FFP by astonvilla82
[Today at 01:15:24 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 01:08:06 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by chrisw1
[Today at 01:04:38 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 01:03:39 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Running thread  (Read 175800 times)

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
Re: The Running thread
« Reply #420 on: April 14, 2016, 04:50:08 PM »
I'm not sure if this has gone national yet but its big news in the local media down here

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Little-Stoke-Parkrun-Decison/story-29097813-detail/story.html

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #421 on: April 14, 2016, 08:31:48 PM »
I'm not sure if this has gone national yet but its big news in the local media down here

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Little-Stoke-Parkrun-Decison/story-29097813-detail/story.html

Ridiculous, the council probably still think Park Run make money from it.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #422 on: April 28, 2016, 07:56:24 AM »
Birmingham International Marathon announced for October 2017. I've done a few half marathons and I think this is the spur to step up to the plate, especially as it passes Villa Park according to the provisional route.

Offline ACVilla

• GM : 16.03.2017
« Reply #423 on: April 28, 2016, 12:16:51 PM »
Birmingham International Marathon announced for October 2017. I've done a few half marathons and I think this is the spur to step up to the plate, especially as it passes Villa Park according to the provisional route.

That's great news, let's hope our course is not as short the Manchester course was *snigger*

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #424 on: June 09, 2016, 12:32:50 PM »
On the comeback trail:

Ran 12km yesterday morning - felt great - least amount of knee pain this season as well.

Online Jon Crofts

« Reply #425 on: June 28, 2016, 05:15:05 PM »
I've been averaging around 50km a week the past few weeks, shorter runs I've been able to hit a consistent 5kmh pace, longer runs up to half marathon around 5:20 kmh, when I try to step it up I'm really struggling to pick up and maintain a pace, it feels like if I start at a pace of 5:15 kmh I just can't pick up to a 5kmh pace for longer than a few minutes or so and my tempo just reverts.  I'm feeling strong on the run it's just a tempo thing it feels like and now not sure what to try next. 

I should add I'm a triathlete so also swimming & cycling and can't therefore concentrate solely on the run.

Offline leylandalbion

• GM : 06.05.2015
« Reply #426 on: June 28, 2016, 05:22:15 PM »
Jon assume you mean a kilometre every 5 mins rather the 5kmh..which is about walking pace

Online Jon Crofts

« Reply #427 on: June 28, 2016, 05:44:34 PM »
Ha yes!  My mistake, 5 minute kms not 5 kmh.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #428 on: June 29, 2016, 08:42:32 AM »
When i used to hit a plateau like this Jon, I would mix my runs up, such as sand/forest based run or hill runs.I would try and maintain the same pace I did on the flat where possible and then when I was running on the flat I could increase my pace more comfortably.
The other thing I would do is more fartlek training by changing pace more regularly, more surging for short amounts of time. I found after a while i could keep these surges or a quicker pace up longer.
It does take time though which may be a bit more difficult if you are also swimming and cycling regularly.     

Online Jon Crofts

« Reply #429 on: June 29, 2016, 11:19:47 AM »
That's a great idea JD, pretty much all my runs to date this season have been in HR Zone 2, I haven't done any real intervals or threshold sessions, am going to start adding in pick ups and some intervals over the coming weeks now. A bit of variety won't hurt either.

Online Jon Crofts

« Reply #430 on: July 01, 2016, 09:57:37 AM »
Wednesday nights fartlek speed work session is still in my legs!  Bugger that.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #431 on: September 05, 2016, 03:25:37 PM »
I have never been a fan of running. I do quite a bit of strenuous mountain-walking in the Pyrenees but am not at all active enough given my propensity for eating and drinking.

She-who-must-be-obeyed is always out running so I have bitten the bullet at 50 and am going to buy a Harley Davidson going to start with a couch to 5k programme. If I like it I hope to do take it from there. I start this evening (it's 35°C now so it will be about 30-32°C later on so I'm pleased that my first run is a bit of jogging and walking).

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #432 on: September 05, 2016, 07:50:07 PM »
I have never been a fan of running. I do quite a bit of strenuous mountain-walking in the Pyrenees but am not at all active enough given my propensity for eating and drinking.

She-who-must-be-obeyed is always out running so I have bitten the bullet at 50 and am going to buy a Harley Davidson going to start with a couch to 5k programme. If I like it I hope to do take it from there. I start this evening (it's 35°C now so it will be about 30-32°C later on so I'm pleased that my first run is a bit of jogging and walking).

That's exactly how I started with the Couch to 5K app.  I was doing really well with it, and went from the couch stage to the 5K, to then running 15 miles in about 10 weeks.  However a fall caused by tripping in a pothole contributed to a herniated disc in my back, so my running days now seem over before they really got going.

I'm now looking at less jarring activities like cycling instead.

My completely non-expert advice for what it's worth:

Get yourself a good pair of trainers from a shop that measures your gait etc.  I was getting shin splints and proper trainers helped sort them out.  I also found that compression socks helped.
Don't run every day.
Stay off concrete as much as possible.
Stretch loads before and after, and buy one of those knobbly muscle rollers that look like a Keith Vaz sex toy.

Online Jon Crofts

« Reply #433 on: September 05, 2016, 08:01:54 PM »

That's exactly how I started with the Couch to 5K app.  I was doing really well with it, and went from the couch stage to the 5K, to then running 15 miles in about 10 weeks.  However a fall caused by tripping in a pothole contributed to a herniated disc in my back, so my running days now seem over before they really got going.

I'm now looking at less jarring activities like cycling instead.

My completely non-expert advice for what it's worth:

Get yourself a good pair of trainers from a shop that measures your gait etc.  I was getting shin splints and proper trainers helped sort them out.  I also found that compression socks helped.
Don't run every day.
Stay off concrete as much as possible.
Stretch loads before and after, and buy one of those knobbly muscle rollers that look like a Keith Vaz sex toy.

What Risso says plus if it hurts ice it.

Birmingham has a marathon in 2017 as well, so a good time to start training for it.

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #434 on: September 05, 2016, 09:33:42 PM »
I've just signed up for the Outlaw Ironman in Nottingham for July 2017.
It will be the second time I have done this event and my 6th Ironman overall.
The last time I participated in 2015 the weather was truly awful so I'm owed some good weather.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal