collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Running thread  (Read 175898 times)

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
Re: The Running thread
« Reply #315 on: August 01, 2014, 10:41:15 AM »
I really don't get the attraction of these Tough Mudder events, I'd rather do a measured course half marathon, marathon, or any distance triathlon than run around in stinking puddles.  Still whatever floats your boat.

Its the same as mountain biking compared to road cycling.

I used to be a regular MTB'er but wouldn't dream of road-cycling; that's far too dangerous.

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #316 on: August 01, 2014, 12:30:10 PM »
Last weekend I finally broke the sub-30 minute 5k barrier. Very pleased with that - I'm around 2:30 slower than my PB.

I'm not sure that I've got any distance left in my knee. Hopefully the stationary cycling is helping.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #317 on: August 01, 2014, 12:45:02 PM »
I really don't get the attraction of these Tough Mudder events, I'd rather do a measured course half marathon, marathon, or any distance triathlon than run around in stinking puddles.  Still whatever floats your boat.

Its the same as mountain biking compared to road cycling.

I used to be a regular MTB'er but wouldn't dream of road-cycling; that's far too dangerous.

What makes you think road cycling is dangerous?  Is it just other road users that put you off?

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #318 on: August 01, 2014, 01:42:12 PM »

Well I'm doing a 10km road race in 2 weeks so I'll let you know which was more fun - assuming at east one of them will be of course.

Offline ACVilla

• GM : 16.03.2017
« Reply #319 on: August 06, 2014, 06:57:28 PM »
Anyone doing the Birmingham 10k on 7th September.

Offline DBTW

• http://fansunite.17.forumer.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #320 on: September 16, 2014, 02:51:15 PM »
Completed my 24th marathon on Sunday in Birmingham

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #321 on: September 16, 2014, 07:16:29 PM »

Outstanding.

I did Ironman Wales on Sunday, I think my day was probably longer than yours!

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
« Reply #322 on: September 16, 2014, 10:50:48 PM »
Well done to both of you. Did you see Gordon Ramsey doing the Iron Man in Wales? He was supposed to be doing it.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #323 on: September 16, 2014, 10:56:58 PM »
Ironman? Madness! (I say that as someone who has returned to running after the best part of three decades. I've just done a half marathon and it was hard!)

Offline DBTW

« Reply #324 on: September 17, 2014, 08:18:50 AM »

Outstanding.

I did Ironman Wales on Sunday, I think my day was probably longer than yours!

I was following your progress on FB Jon, Superb effort!

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #325 on: September 17, 2014, 10:31:54 AM »

Well I've just done the NW one last Saturday and had a great time. It was  a personal challenge and I got round the 12 miles and 20 odd obstacles in about 2 and a half hours. The one drawback if you're doing it properly and not for a laugh/charity is the amount of time spent queuing at some obstacles so I can quite see your point Jon if you're looking for an element of measurement.

I'll probably do it again but would like something where I can measure how well I'm doing so will probably look at doing a mini or full Tri next year.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #326 on: September 17, 2014, 12:43:50 PM »

Nor do I, but then I'm a bit of a running snob, which many decent club runners are! We/they tend to poo poo these events as not for the serious runner and something of a joke. I can, however, see the appeal and why others might really enjoy them. On the same subject, a lot of club runners feel the same about the Great North Run, much fuss about nothing. I have to say it is one of the most boring races I have ever done, long passages of dual carriageway, faceless housing estates, and very few people watching until the end. To describe the gateshead bridge as iconic is pushing it too. There are much better races that get almost zero publicity because they haven't got Mr Mumbler, Brendan Foster, who doesn't notice half of what is going on in a race, to promote it and because they weren't the first of these sorts of races on the scene. The Great South Run, for example, is a much nicer route...

Offline DBTW

« Reply #327 on: September 17, 2014, 12:58:34 PM »

Nor do I, but then I'm a bit of a running snob, which many decent club runners are! We/they tend to poo poo these events as not for the serious runner and something of a joke. I can, however, see the appeal and why others might really enjoy them. On the same subject, a lot of club runners feel the same about the Great North Run, much fuss about nothing. I have to say it is one of the most boring races I have ever done, long passages of dual carriageway, faceless housing estates, and very few people watching until the end. To describe the gateshead bridge as iconic is pushing it too. There are much better races that get almost zero publicity because they haven't got Mr Mumbler, Brendan Foster, who doesn't notice half of what is going on in a race, to promote it and because they weren't the first of these sorts of races on the scene. The Great South Run, for example, is a much nicer route...

So is the Great Birmingham run.

I personally, would never consider doing the GNR again having ticked it off already. There is absolutely nothing that would make me want to do it again. The London marathon however, I would do every year if I could.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #328 on: September 17, 2014, 03:40:46 PM »
Well done to both of you. Did you see Gordon Ramsey doing the Iron Man in Wales? He was supposed to be doing it.

Gordon 'scrotum face' Ramsey pulled out with a week to go with what he claims was an Achilles injury.

I did see Richard Webster the ex Wales and Lions flanker, he completed it in just over 13 hours.  No big deal there really, except he completed the marathon on crutches.  Fakin' nails.

If anyone ever feels the need to do an Ironman triathlon, Wales has to be top of the list, I've done it twice now and it really is the most incredibly tough course but also the most incredibly well supported event I've ever been involved in, the bike route is like Le Tour in places, you cannot see the road just a sea of people up the climb that parts as you ride up the hill, amazing.  9000 feet of vertical climb on the 112 mile route followed by a marathon with around 1200 feet of climb, not for the faint hearted.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 03:48:38 PM by Jon Crofts »

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #329 on: September 17, 2014, 05:09:36 PM »
Spot on for me DBTW regarding the GNR, I liken it to Spurs. The media fawn all over it, particularly the BBC, when, in my view, it's mostly all hot air and hugely overhyped. I never cease to be amazed at the number of new runners who travel hours to do it as if it's some never to be forgotten bucket list experience. I just smile knowingly. It's all down to Brendan Foster who I consider one of the worst commentators going. His predictions pre- race and during them are nearly always wrong and it seems to take him ages to notice things going on races which you, the viewer, spotted ages ago. I've never done Great Birmingham

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal