collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Running thread  (Read 175842 times)

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
Re: The Running thread
« Reply #165 on: April 28, 2012, 09:05:30 AM »
The Olympics use the Olympic distance triathlons funnily enough.
1.5 km swim, 40km ride, 10km run, sometimes called International distance.  Sprint distances are typically used for pool based triathlons, London 2012 course is in Hyde Park, swimming in the Serpentine.

4 weeks to go for my Olympic distance tri.

Online andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #166 on: May 01, 2012, 10:11:48 PM »
The Olympics use the Olympic distance triathlons funnily enough.

Lol that would make sense I guess !

Good luck with your tri.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #167 on: May 07, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
First big Brick day of training yesterday, a 25 mile ride at race pace a rest of 1 hour then a 1200 metre swim straight to a 10km run.
Felt good at the end & felt reasonable today no aches or twinges.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #168 on: May 15, 2012, 02:50:39 PM »
2 Brick Days back to back Saturday & Sunday just gone, long pool session Monday evening racked up 3km, run today already done a 10 miler, 12 days to the race.

Offline The Gruffalo

« Reply #169 on: May 15, 2012, 07:23:50 PM »
Impressive stuff Jon.

I completed the London marathon in 3 hours 49 this year, 33 minutes better than last year - better training this year.  Going to do it again in 2013 to try and get closer to 3 hours 30, then look for the next challenge.  Thinking triathlon but the open water swim puts me off a bit, whats your experience of it?

Online andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #170 on: May 17, 2012, 07:38:26 AM »
Nice one Gruff. I'm a few years behind you I think, I'm doing half marathons until I get into the 1:40's. I first ran the event 2 years ago in 2:22 last one was 1:57. When I get to my target time I'll try the full marathon.

I feel pretty fit these days, I took up running to lose weight originally, but if I get even a slight cold I just can't run at all, in fact I can tell when I'm about to get a bug because I just conk out in the middle of a run. Messes up the training as I have to take a week off.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #171 on: May 17, 2012, 08:03:57 PM »
Impressive stuff Jon.

I completed the London marathon in 3 hours 49 this year, 33 minutes better than last year - better training this year.  Going to do it again in 2013 to try and get closer to 3 hours 30, then look for the next challenge.  Thinking triathlon but the open water swim puts me off a bit, whats your experience of it?

Doesn't have to be open water, there are a lot of pool based events, Super Sprints & some Sprint events for example.

Also don't forget in this country you'll probably never get an event where wetsuits are forbidden in open water, the water simply never gets warm enough whether a lake or the sea.
Open water, deep water starts are a bit daunting, a mass start, out of your depth in cold water can be very scary, but there are techniques to keep others away at the start even including smearing vaseline on your feet & ankles to deter would be 'attackers' who try & pull on you to get ahead!
Wetsuits will keep the cold off & they will make you more buoyant making the swim a lot more comfortable, Speedo run an Open Water Series of events every year with distances from 200 metres to 10km to choose from, a good way of building confidence.  2 swim hats to keep warm + you are allowed booties & gloves but to be honest it never really gets that cold.

Training has hit a snag, I had some blind hag open her car door into me as I was running past her car on Tuesday evening, thought I'd been shot in the chest, haven't run or swum since Tuesday.  Dopey cow.

Offline johnc

• GM : 15.02.2025
« Reply #172 on: May 17, 2012, 11:04:36 PM »
Impressive stuff Jon.

Did you follow the hal higdon programme or come up with your own programme. I have done a few half marathons and have a place in this years New York Marathon so will be starting ha
 Higdon 17 week programme at the end ofnJune. Has anyone any experience of this? And doesmit help tomrun slower? 333 mins better in ayearmis good going

Offline The Gruffalo

« Reply #173 on: May 18, 2012, 06:02:05 PM »
Stick with it Andrew.  I only started running in November 2010 when i took up the marathon challenge via a charity place at work.  I was 16 and a half stone at the time, I've kep the running up 3 times a week even if not in training for a race since then and am now 12stone 13lbs.

Jon, sounds better than the horror stories I've read, maybe a triathlon later in 2013 then, thanks for the feedback

John, my own training plan which was aimed at under 4 hours - trained 5 days a week for 13 weeks followed by a 3 week taper.  Good luck with NYC - half tempted, but i just enjoy Lodon's atmosphere too much - it's addictive

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #174 on: May 18, 2012, 08:23:04 PM »
First session since Tuesday duly completed, 12km run & a 2k swim mashed.

Offline johnc

« Reply #175 on: May 18, 2012, 10:42:29 PM »
Did 13km is evening at a slower than normal pace by about 30-40 secs per km. first time I have tried the long slow run and it felt good. Heart rate was down by about 15 bpm which should mean I can keep going for longer.

Plan to follow higdon novice 2 from the end of June

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #176 on: May 21, 2012, 04:02:15 PM »
The Higdon plan, has anyone actually paid money for it or have you just used what you can find online without paying?  I already use Training Peaks the free version in conjunction with my GPS watch, what do you think should I upgrade & pay for Higdon?

I want to do at least 2 marathons this year & a few more Tri's.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #177 on: May 22, 2012, 07:34:26 PM »
Windsor 1/2 entered for October.

Offline johnc

« Reply #178 on: May 22, 2012, 11:21:10 PM »
Only using what I find online. Am tempted to but the Higdon app for $8 but have rsisted so far. I reckon i will just photocopy the  novice 1 or 2 and stick it up on the fridge. Doing a 10km on Saturday to see how the first few months of training have Paid off
P&D marathon training is worth alook if you are able for big miles. It works on plans of about 70 -80 miles a week. I am not in that league

Offline johnc

« Reply #179 on: May 22, 2012, 11:23:22 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal