collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Running thread  (Read 176111 times)

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
Re: The Running thread
« Reply #150 on: October 25, 2011, 09:39:53 AM »
How did you get on Woo ? I managed 1:57 which is a PB for me so was pleased, still only came about 4500th there are some really fit people around !. Got to find a nice flat course to get close to 1:50.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2011, 11:35:01 AM »
I've been using Body Glide on my nips - works very well. If you wear compression gear it hold your bits in place firmly so they won't rub too much.

Are we still on about running?

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2011, 11:40:06 AM »
How did you get on Woo ? I managed 1:57 which is a PB for me so was pleased, still only came about 4500th there are some really fit people around !. Got to find a nice flat course to get close to 1:50.

My missus did 1:45, I'd have wished she'd have taken her time a bit more as I could have managed another couple of pints.

Offline woo

« Reply #153 on: October 26, 2011, 01:48:54 PM »

My missus did 1:45, I'd have wished she'd have taken her time a bit more as I could have managed another couple of pints.

Well done Andrew & Mrs PW. I finished in 1.59 so you probably finished while I was at the top of Broad Street!

Despite that being 5 minutes slower than last year I enjoyed it a lot more this time, no doubt due to the better organisation. I felt like there was allways enough space to run in.

I didn't feel too confident in the week before so I was happy to keep it under 2 hours...just!!

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #154 on: October 27, 2011, 12:57:21 AM »
I'm about to start running, been out and brought some decent running shoes special for my fat flat feet.

So any hints and tips to get started? I'm looking at that couch to 5k - any other recommendations or is that the best?

Online atomicjam

• GM : 07.04.2019
« Reply #155 on: October 27, 2011, 01:10:53 AM »
In a slight off topic move I have been doing some fairly long walks (30 miles, 26 miles and so on) recently. There are a lot of events via the LDWA that welcome runners and walkers to cover long distances. I am not really a running kinda guy but I do have the stamina to walk a long way. I am building up for the 100 mile walk in two days in 2013. I have booked onto numerous organised walks building up to 50 miles in July.

Obviously if you run these distances you would need to be quite experienced and fit. The walks/runs go over some lovely areas and finishing feels great. Although watching a 75 year old man who weighs the same as a bag of crisps lap you can be a bit depressing! Anyone else on H&V doing long distance walking? Or if you are interested PM me and I can give you details of future walks.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 01:12:51 AM by atomicjam »

Offline andrew08

« Reply #156 on: October 27, 2011, 07:23:05 AM »
Is it that wobbly hips walking 'cos that looks really hard.

Offline andrew08

« Reply #157 on: October 27, 2011, 07:29:39 AM »
Zog, that c25k is good,but DBTW is the man to ask he did a plan for someone earlier in the thread I think. Good luck anyway.

I went for a run last night for the first time after the half marathon, it was great- no time pressure,no training plan to keep to, just a nice fun run with me and Absolute 80's on the DAB.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #158 on: February 15, 2012, 08:44:41 PM »
I've just started a 12 week Triathlon plan, so far so good, it's been 22 years since I did an IronMan so I was in my twenties, now mid 40s and aiming at an Olympic distance in May and a half IronMan in September.

Invested in a GPS & heart rate monitor which you can add cycle speed & cadence to also, really helps knowing exactly what youve done & you can set targets to beat previous sessions, beats an old timex and a bit of guesstimation!  Not only that clothing has come on leaps & bounds, I'm a sucker for Under Armour, their running jackets & tights are warm & comfy as are the base layers, again beats cotton & nylon hands down!

Offline The Gruffalo

« Reply #159 on: February 25, 2012, 02:16:04 PM »
I'm halfway through my training for this years London marathon.  Did it last year in 4hrs 22 which was OK for a first Marathon, but setting my sights a bit higher this year. Got to be under 4 hours.

Being a bit more scientific - invested in a Garmin 405CX which is mindblowingly good for the job and logging all my runs.  Training is going well so far, just need to stay injury free.  Got 145 minute training run tomorrow so hopefully the weather will stay like this.  8 weeks to go tomorrow!

Offline andrew08

« Reply #160 on: February 28, 2012, 02:39:26 PM »
I reckon my half marathon pace is about your asperational pace for the Marathon if you need a training partner.

I've been doing a bit of no pressure winter training since October. No timing or checking the miles but I know how long most of my routes are so I'd guess I've been doing about 6 or 7 miles 3 times a week.
I've really enjoyed my running that way and I'm glad to have experienced the challenge of running when it's bloody freezing and then after a few minutes just not noticing it and really getting into the run.

I did my first timed 10 mile run last Wednesday at just a shade under 1hr 30 so I'm hoping for a sub 1.50 half marathon this summer. I've entered the Wolverhampton to Brum canal path race in July so that is going to be my first shot at it.

I'd welcome any advise on buying a Garmin. I just need accurate distance and time so can I get this at entry level or do you need to lash out on the higher priced models?

Offline The Gruffalo

« Reply #161 on: March 01, 2012, 04:39:41 PM »
Entry level Garmin would be fine for that Andrew, you won't regret it, should take your running to a new level. 

Completed my 145 mins run on Sunday completing 30.15km - Very chuffed!

Offline andrew08

« Reply #162 on: April 27, 2012, 10:51:34 AM »
Purchased myself a GPS a couple of weeks ago. Certainly makes a difference. Training is going ok just wish it would stop bloody raining

Offline danlanza

« Reply #163 on: April 27, 2012, 11:23:02 AM »
Just to let you lads and lasses know,if you are interested that next month in Lanzarote it is the Lanzarote Ironman triathlon,regarded by most to be the toughest in the world because of the terrain and the heat.It involves a 3.8 kilometer swim followed by a 180 km bike ride and finally,just to loosen up a full marathon.Last years winning time was -for the men-8hr-30min-34sec,for the women-9hr-28min-12sec!!!!
This years event is on saturday the 19th of may with 1600 athletes split into elite and non elite competitors.It starts at 7oclock in the morning on the main beach in peurto del carmen and it is fantastic to watch from the start as 1600 athletes run into the sea to begin the challenge.Around 10,000 people were on the beach for the start last year and predictions are for more this year.You can get more info from www.ironmanlanzarote.com if you want to.A lot of people video the event and follow the athletes around in cars and on motorbikes,all of these are available on You Tube.Maybe some of you are already triathletes and know all about the triathlete calender.The Lanzarote IronMan also acts as a qualifier for the World Championship in Hawaii later in the year.Some of the equiptment that these athletes use is truly mind boggling and very expensive but you don't have to go for the top first.The lower priced in any of the ranges will do a great job and it may sound funny but it really does improve your training.Good luck to anybody who tries any marathon or any triathlon and keep going for your P.B's.

Offline andrew08

« Reply #164 on: April 27, 2012, 01:17:08 PM »
They only allow the sprint distance in the Olympics I gather.....aren't some brothers from Yorkshire the favourites .

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal