collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Running thread  (Read 175796 times)

Offline Guy M

• Location: Maidenhead - less than an hour from Zeitgeist on a good day!
Re: The Running thread
« Reply #120 on: May 20, 2011, 01:47:53 AM »
But how am I supposed to get fit doing nothing?!

Got the proper running socks (good old Sports Direct for the Nike elite and standard running socks) but still feeling the sole is very hard through the foot (especially the heel) and like the shoe is rubbing up the inside of both feet where I guess my foot should ideally not be quite so sunken.

Got free delivery if I order another pair from sportshoes.com within the next couple of weeks.

Just realised if I'd gone to London Marathon Store in Covent Garden today that it was a Saucony ShoeLab Day and could have got my feet and trainers assessed by them. D'oh!

Offline N'Rexy

• GM : Jan, 2012
« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2011, 02:28:12 PM »
Its karma for using a sports shop for fitting and then buying them on line. That's bad form as these shops don't survive on fresh air alone.

Offline Guy M

• Location: Maidenhead - less than an hour from Zeitgeist on a good day!
« Reply #122 on: May 25, 2011, 10:17:12 PM »
It could well be but I used the shop to confirm what I already suspected about my foot type and running style and didn't just buy the same shoes they'd suggested, but a type that should be suitable for me at what I deem to be a reasonable price. Still £55 and considerably less than they were offering.

But yes, you're probably right and I probably deserve it.

Offline woo

« Reply #123 on: June 02, 2011, 03:49:28 PM »
Birmingham Half Marathon 2011 is open for entries now. It's part of the "BUPA Great run series" now so is called The Great Birmingham Run. For those who did it last year the route looks the same.

£30 entry so the goody bag at the end better be good!

http://www.greatrun.org/Events/Event.aspx?id=14

Online andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #124 on: June 04, 2011, 09:52:42 PM »
Birmingham Half Marathon 2011 is open for entries now. It's part of the "BUPA Great run series" now so is called The Great Birmingham Run. For those who did it last year the route looks the same.

£30 entry so the goody bag at the end better be good!

http://www.greatrun.org/Events/Event.aspx?id=14

they'd  better sort out the start/finish this year.

Offline DBTW

• http://fansunite.17.forumer.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #125 on: June 06, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
I finished our huge charity challenge on Friday which saw us complete...

April 3rd - Taunton marathon
April 10th - Brighton marathon
April 17th - London marathon

May 19/20 - Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Mount Snowdon in 23 hours 25 minutes

June 1/2/3 Coast to coast along Hadrian's Wall - we covered over 89 miles.

We are trying to raise monty for childrens charities at www.justgiving.com/phoenix-challenge

I went to the doctors this morning as I had severe pains in my left knee on day 2 at Hadrian's Wall. I've been referred to a consultant with probable cartlidge damage so I may have a few numbers available to anyone who fancies taking up a marathon / half marathon this year.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #126 on: June 30, 2011, 09:25:35 PM »
No marathons for me yet, but tracking my runs I find I've done 49 miles this month. For a guy who started the year an unfit fat bastard, I'm extremely chuffed.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #127 on: July 01, 2011, 10:10:24 AM »
But how am I supposed to get fit doing nothing?!

Got the proper running socks (good old Sports Direct for the Nike elite and standard running socks) but still feeling the sole is very hard through the foot (especially the heel) and like the shoe is rubbing up the inside of both feet where I guess my foot should ideally not be quite so sunken.

Got free delivery if I order another pair from sportshoes.com within the next couple of weeks.

Just realised if I'd gone to London Marathon Store in Covent Garden today that it was a Saucony ShoeLab Day and could have got my feet and trainers assessed by them. D'oh!

Guy, try and find out if any sports shoe shops do 'mi adidas'. The adidas rep comes in a measures each foot and then looks at your running style etc and then will make each shoe to fit each foot (slightly wider or longer for each foot, with padding to suit). They don't cost much more than a decent pair of running shoes and you can also design the colour of they (my latest ones are white with claret & blue stripes and trim with AVFC written on the side and back). I also have a light blue pair with claret trim. I swear by the shoes, they're great for running in and like wearing slippers. I got my wife to get a pair after she had had lots of issues with shoes and her feet and she swears by them now.     
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:12:05 AM by JD »

Offline JD

• Stay Free
« Reply #128 on: July 01, 2011, 10:13:22 AM »
No marathons for me yet, but tracking my runs I find I've done 49 miles this month. For a guy who started the year an unfit fat bastard, I'm extremely chuffed.

That's a great effort Curiousorange, keep up the great work.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
« Reply #129 on: July 01, 2011, 10:14:38 AM »
I finished our huge charity challenge on Friday which saw us complete...

April 3rd - Taunton marathon
April 10th - Brighton marathon
April 17th - London marathon

May 19/20 - Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Mount Snowdon in 23 hours 25 minutes

June 1/2/3 Coast to coast along Hadrian's Wall - we covered over 89 miles.

We are trying to raise monty for childrens charities at www.justgiving.com/phoenix-challenge

I went to the doctors this morning as I had severe pains in my left knee on day 2 at Hadrian's Wall. I've been referred to a consultant with probable cartlidge damage so I may have a few numbers available to anyone who fancies taking up a marathon / half marathon this year.

DBTW, you look after yourself mate, or you'll end up crippling yourself and not being able to run at all. Watch those injuries and listen to the body.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #130 on: July 03, 2011, 05:39:39 PM »
Did the Tadley 10k near Reading this morning. All uphill after 2 1/2 miles, it did my head in! Got a nice t shirt at the end though, with badgers on it.

Online andrew08

« Reply #131 on: July 04, 2011, 08:34:44 AM »
Was running along the cut in Brum on Saturday and bumped into the Wolverhampton to Brum half Marathon, the leader must has won by about 10 mins he was going at a fair old lick.

Offline DBTW

• http://fansunite.17.forumer.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #132 on: July 14, 2011, 12:32:34 PM »
Was running along the cut in Brum on Saturday and bumped into the Wolverhampton to Brum half Marathon, the leader must has won by about 10 mins he was going at a fair old lick.

I got a PB in this, 1hr 41 minutes.

It's a staggered start so the one in front probably didnt win overall

Offline SaluteIanTaylor

« Reply #133 on: July 15, 2011, 03:56:54 PM »
Loving this thread and looking though everyones achievements, top stuff all round peeps.  I completed a charity 36mile run a couple months back - won it too!  Just over 5hrs.

Online andrew08

« Reply #134 on: July 16, 2011, 04:53:11 PM »
I'm trying to beat 2hrs this time at the brum half marathon.Ran 8 miles this morning in that bloody monsoon,just under schedule for sub 2hrs, bring it on !

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal