collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Running thread  (Read 176116 times)

Offline DBTW

• http://fansunite.17.forumer.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: The Running thread
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2011, 09:59:37 AM »
I run for Wrekin Road Runners, based in Telford. I dont train with them, and its a really relaxed club, with many ranges of ability and ages. I run in their colours and its nice to beling to someone when racing. You also get cheaper race entries.

You fancy joining?

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2011, 04:22:57 PM »
I run for Wrekin Road Runners, based in Telford. I dont train with them, and its a really relaxed club, with many ranges of ability and ages. I run in their colours and its nice to beling to someone when racing. You also get cheaper race entries.

You fancy joining?

Cheers DBTW - I love the colours (orange and black for the Philadelphia Flyers) - would really prefer to train with someone local though. Memberships renew in April, so I'll take my time before I decide.

Finished my RunnersWorld programme - have done 3 x 30 minute 5Ks and am ready to move up to 10K. Training now for an April race.

I bloody well love running. So glad I finaly started.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2011, 02:04:07 PM »
I appeared earlier in this thread training for the Birmingham Half Marathon essentially to get some weight off.......well I did it in 2 hours 20. Not brill but I reckon the organisation at the start and finish 'owed' me 10 minutes. I'm going to do it again this year and I WILL beat 2 hours this time.

Any tips DBTW on keeping myself ticking over before I start the schedule again ? I haven't run since my latest daughter appeared early december but was doing 5 miles 3 times a week since my half marathon in October and now have the time (and permission !) to start up again. I have been doing lots of sits ups and cardio fast weights  in the meantime so I still feel fairly fit.

Offline Comrade Blitz

« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2011, 08:11:17 AM »
I feel as if I'm struggling a bit to add distance to my 5k runs - and was wondering if it could be down to diet.

Before any of you do a long run - do you "fuel up" in any way? I'm going to add some more carbs to my lunch on the days that I run after work to see if that helps. I'm OK as far as the cardio-side goes (I'm not gasping for breath at all when I run and my heart rate seems OK) - but I do really fatigued at times - like I just don't have the energy to carry on.

Offline villa1

« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2011, 09:01:32 PM »
My problem is still tendonitis in my calves. My feet have started going numb after about 3k again now! Grrr.

Offline Comrade Blitz

« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2011, 12:11:03 PM »
I was supposed to run just 5.5k on Saturday morning, but couldn't remember the route that I mapped. It was 6.92k when I checked on MayMyRun. I guess I've answered my question about extending my distances.

On a another topic:

Does anyone have a good source of events/races for 2011? (prerably local). I've found the following so far:

The Running Diary:
http://www.runningdiary.co.uk/go/allevents.cgi

KP Events:
http://www.kpevents.net/kpevents-homepage.aspx

Offline N'Rexy

• GM : Jan, 2012
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2011, 09:05:17 AM »
That Running Diary is the best that I have seen. Its excellent.

How often do you run?  General rule of thumb is to add 10% per week to your run if you want to increase distance but if you only run once a week that wont work...

Offline Comrade Blitz

« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2011, 03:52:44 PM »
Cheers Rexy - I run 4 times a week. The 12 week 10k programme I am on has me running moderate distances on Tues and Thurs and a longer run on Saturdays. But when I started it I was already running 5k - I'm scheduled go up to 6Km this Saturday. (I do a regular run on Sundays as well.)

Strength training on M & F (squats, calf raises, push ups, crunches).

I think I need to be patient more than anything.

Offline andrew08

« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2011, 03:46:52 PM »
Comrade, I now run at least 2 or 3 times a week, around 4 or 5 miles at a time either on the road or on my treadmill. I'm in a 'hold pattern' of trying to maintain fitness until I start training for a half marathon. My big suggestion would be do lots of hills, they really take the stamina up a few notches. Also lampost running is good, ie sprint between one and jog the next. I think you live my side of town if so The Harborne Walkway is a  great place to run and the route back into town on road is steepish. A good 4 or 5 mile circuit from the Quarter and back.

Offline Comrade Blitz

« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2011, 10:50:11 AM »
The Harborne Walkway is a  great place to run and the route back into town on road is steepish. A good 4 or 5 mile circuit from the Quarter and back.

I'll do a recce next weekend - cheers.

Managed 6.95k on Saturday - felt pretty good afterwards

Offline Comrade Blitz

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2011, 12:10:17 PM »
Anyone use a HRM while running?

Offline Reuben

« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2011, 12:21:59 PM »
You can get applications for your phone that monitor workouts, distance, times, and heartrate (with bluetooth)

Anyone use any of these?  I've just downloaded endomondo which I will try out tonight!

Offline Comrade Blitz

« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2011, 05:58:41 PM »
Had a pleasant (but soggy) run this afternoon along the canal. Started near the NIA and headed north to Smethwick and back - 8.37 km in total back to the JQ. I'll bet that's a cracking run when it is warm and sunny.

Offline villa1

« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2011, 11:08:49 AM »
You can get applications for your phone that monitor workouts, distance, times, and heartrate (with bluetooth)

Anyone use any of these?  I've just downloaded endomondo which I will try out tonight!

Runkeeper from the app store. Excellent app.

Offline andrew08

« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2011, 07:30:41 PM »
Did a nice circuit this afternoon,City Road,Dudley Road,Portland Road,Five Ways,Hagley Road,Sandon Road,City Road.about 6 miles I think. I'll map it on the lappy 2mrw.Must do some canal running soon
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 07:33:13 PM by andrew08 »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal