collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Running thread  (Read 179836 times)

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
Re: The Running thread
« Reply #945 on: February 14, 2023, 07:18:40 AM »
6 weeks into the 16 week training plan for the London Marathon and very pleased with how it is going so far. I actually feel like there’s noticeable improvement in my endurance. It’s miles better than the (with the benefit of hindsight inadequate) training plan I followed when I did the Birmingham Marathon in 2017.

Good luck Richard.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #946 on: February 15, 2023, 05:41:32 PM »
6 weeks into the 16 week training plan for the London Marathon and very pleased with how it is going so far. I actually feel like there’s noticeable improvement in my endurance. It’s miles better than the (with the benefit of hindsight inadequate) training plan I followed when I did the Birmingham Marathon in 2017.

Great stuff and good luck.

I’ve rather stupidly, despite Jon’s warnings a year or so back, signed up to a rather hilly 100k Ultra in September. I’m 11 weeks into a 39 week programme and it’s going ok but getting very nervous about the whole thing from a mental toughness rather than physical perspective.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #947 on: February 15, 2023, 10:20:41 PM »

Good on you. You'll be getting your runner's pack through the post soon, I should think. Kind of makes it all real at that point. Although the moment it became really real for me was when I'd handed in my post-race bag and had my number stamped at the ExCel the day before. No turning back then!

Offline charlatan

« Reply #948 on: February 18, 2023, 06:48:15 PM »
Did a 21 miler with a couple of big hills on Christmas Day. Took a few weeks to get that out of my legs, but it made me think I ought to be capable of a three hour marathon. So rather than going through the hassle of signing up for one I thought I'd measure one myself (in amateur fashion) and wait for a day when it wasn't windy, my wife wasn't busy, etc.

That turned out to be today. My time was 2:56:56, but let's face it my measurement was nowhere near accurate enough to be dealing in seconds. I ran slightly over 0.4 miles extra before my watch reached three hours, so I'm satisfied I can claim a sub three hour marathon. Don't particularly fancy doing another one.

I had my kid pass me a cup of water just beyond halfway. Once I had consumed about a quarter of the water and inadvertently poured the rest on myself I tried to put it into a bin as I was passing, but it fell out. I felt sufficiently socially conscious to go back, pick it up and put it in the bin which cost me a few seconds. Repeating that move would take me about a minute at my current stiffness level though!

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #949 on: February 18, 2023, 08:32:50 PM »
Three hour marathon?

Jeez!!

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #950 on: February 20, 2023, 08:26:40 AM »
Did a 21 miler with a couple of big hills on Christmas Day. Took a few weeks to get that out of my legs, but it made me think I ought to be capable of a three hour marathon. So rather than going through the hassle of signing up for one I thought I'd measure one myself (in amateur fashion) and wait for a day when it wasn't windy, my wife wasn't busy, etc.

That turned out to be today. My time was 2:56:56, but let's face it my measurement was nowhere near accurate enough to be dealing in seconds. I ran slightly over 0.4 miles extra before my watch reached three hours, so I'm satisfied I can claim a sub three hour marathon. Don't particularly fancy doing another one.

I had my kid pass me a cup of water just beyond halfway. Once I had consumed about a quarter of the water and inadvertently poured the rest on myself I tried to put it into a bin as I was passing, but it fell out. I felt sufficiently socially conscious to go back, pick it up and put it in the bin which cost me a few seconds. Repeating that move would take me about a minute at my current stiffness level though!

You bastard. <winky thing> just when i feel I’m making progress with a nice 14k very hilly trail run yesterday you throw that into the chat.

I’m putting this down to charlatan weighing less than Kipchoge and utilising the latest in carbon shoe technology…..

Offline shirley_villan

« Reply #951 on: March 21, 2023, 12:59:33 PM »
Did my second marathon on Sunday in Barcelona and acheived my goal of sub 3, with a net time of 2:56:59. Really good route and support, would definitely reccomend if anyone is looking to do one abroad in the future.

Looking to book another one for the autumn if anyone has any reccomendations.

Good luck running London next month Richard. It's a brilliant day, you'll love it.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #952 on: March 21, 2023, 01:00:48 PM »
Nice one SV.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
« Reply #953 on: March 22, 2023, 07:01:48 AM »
Great effort SV, well done.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #954 on: March 22, 2023, 07:58:50 PM »
Did my second marathon on Sunday in Barcelona and acheived my goal of sub 3, with a net time of 2:56:59. Really good route and support, would definitely reccomend if anyone is looking to do one abroad in the future.

Looking to book another one for the autumn if anyone has any reccomendations.

Good luck running London next month Richard. It's a brilliant day, you'll love it.

Thank you!

I won’t be sub 3 hour mind you…

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #955 on: April 19, 2023, 11:50:19 AM »
So an ultrarunner jumped in a car because she was lost, sore and couldn't continue, got out at a checkpoint. Continued to run another 20 odd miles after being too sore to continue because a Marshall stated she would regret it. Came in 3rd, accepted the medal, had podium pictures taken and then left. For all her "it was the heat of the moment", according to the rightful 3rd place person, she uploaded her data with the pictures of her 3rd place as well and it was only analysis of the data from others that she was actually found out several days later.

Offline simon ward 50

« Reply #956 on: April 19, 2023, 12:51:12 PM »
So an ultrarunner jumped in a car because she was lost, sore and couldn't continue, got out at a checkpoint. Continued to run another 20 odd miles after being too sore to continue because a Marshall stated she would regret it. Came in 3rd, accepted the medal, had podium pictures taken and then left. For all her "it was the heat of the moment", according to the rightful 3rd place person, she uploaded her data with the pictures of her 3rd place as well and it was only analysis of the data from others that she was actually found out several days later.

That's the way to run an ultra ;)

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #957 on: April 19, 2023, 06:54:25 PM »
Well that’s buggered my strategy for Sunday then.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
« Reply #958 on: April 20, 2023, 08:47:46 AM »
Well that’s buggered my strategy for Sunday then.

Steal a bike halfway round Richard.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #959 on: April 23, 2023, 01:26:40 PM »
Probably long finished by now but good luck Richard for today. Hopefully you didn’t need to shit in anyone’s front garden or take a taxi.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal