collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The NFL Thread (with added College Football)  (Read 800446 times)

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
Re: The NFL Thread (with added College Football)
« Reply #4995 on: October 12, 2020, 02:53:34 PM »
Seahawks, Packers and Rams all look likely to make the playoffs.

Harder to call in the AFC, but most of the North should get in (sorry Bungles), the Bills and the Chiefs. Titans 3-0, but may end up playing a lot of games in a short space of time.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #4996 on: October 12, 2020, 04:34:15 PM »
Fair enough! I'm all for irrational disliking when it comes to sport.

You a Raiders fan, BV?

I'm not a big enough American Football fan to really hate other teams, but have never liked the Jets. Have no idea why besides not really liking the colours.

No, but I have a soft spot for them and like Gruden. One of my friends from Uni was living in San Fran in the late 90s so we went to the Oakland game when I visited.

Funnily enough I'm a Jets fan (thankless task that it is) as they wear green and white and had a player with the same surname as me in the mid-80s. Soft spots also for the Packers and Eagles because of the colours and funnily enough the As are my baseball team. In college football I root for Mississippi State as they wear maroon and white (similar to Villa and same as my local GAA club) and I like their cowbells. As I said, all a bit irrational. ;D

Haha. The Jets? Apologies for my earlier comments then, BV :)

I've a soft spot for the Lions (thankless, also) as I studied in Michigan as an exchange student, and the Bears (my dads third love after Leicester and Villa). During that year abroad in the States I ended up going to the last game at the old Soldier Field, and they lost, much to the delight of all Lions and Packers fans in my classes. There are ALOT of Packers fans in Michigan.

My college team would be the CMU Chippewas, as Central Michigan Uni was where I went to. They've gone down the whole controversial mascot road though, which isn't great. Colours are maroon and yellow, so not a million miles away from Villa.

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #4997 on: October 12, 2020, 09:43:53 PM »
I've been reminded this season why I dislike American sports. My team (and I use the term lightly) is 1-4 and has nothing left to play for. It's five games in and the season's over. They need promotion and relegation.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

« Reply #4998 on: October 12, 2020, 10:22:44 PM »
At least you should have a high draft pick and the chance to improve next season.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #4999 on: October 12, 2020, 10:25:30 PM »
I follow a College American Football team (OU) and any hope they have of doing anything Nationally disappears if they lose 2 games (ok it’s a shit Big12 defence problem as well😜) and it’s sometimes 1 game if other conferences are running teams with no losses. They’re 2-2 so far so it’s just play the season out and maybe qualify for the Conference play off but no hope of CFB play offs this year.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #5000 on: October 12, 2020, 10:37:00 PM »
1970 Bengals made the playoffs after starting 1 and 6, in a fourteen game season! Plenty of time to turn it around yet...

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5001 on: October 12, 2020, 10:37:57 PM »
Whoever wins the NFC East this season could be the worst playoff team in history. Would be nice to see the Browns get in but I forsee a heartbreaking loss against Steelers/Ravens to deny them.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #5002 on: October 13, 2020, 12:48:18 PM »
Whoever wins the NFC East this season could be the worst playoff team in history. Would be nice to see the Browns get in but I forsee a heartbreaking loss against Steelers/Ravens to deny them.

I think the Eagles will end up with a decent record.  The Steelers beat them on Sunday, but it was a tough game.  Once they get DeSean Jackson back and figure out a few other things, they will be fine.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

« Reply #5003 on: October 13, 2020, 03:10:31 PM »
Eagles have the worst OLine in the NFL. They need to sort that out before Wentz gets murdered.

Terrible division, so the do have a chance of making the playoffs.

No idea how both the Vikings and Chargers are 1-4, both have talented rosters.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #5004 on: October 13, 2020, 07:30:57 PM »
My college team would be the CMU Chippewas, as Central Michigan Uni was where I went to. They've gone down the whole controversial mascot road though, which isn't great. Colours are maroon and yellow, so not a million miles away from Villa.

Must be something about those colours and contoversy. I take it Motherwell are your Scottish team. :)

Online Brazilian Villain

« Reply #5005 on: October 13, 2020, 07:35:22 PM »
I follow a College American Football team (OU) and any hope they have of doing anything Nationally disappears if they lose 2 games (ok it’s a shit Big12 defence problem as well😜) and it’s sometimes 1 game if other conferences are running teams with no losses. They’re 2-2 so far so it’s just play the season out and maybe qualify for the Conference play off but no hope of CFB play offs this year.

So you're saying this season they're out of contention sooner rather than later.

I presume you've seen the 30 for 30 documentary 'Brian and the Boz' which is very good.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #5006 on: October 13, 2020, 10:31:57 PM »

So you're saying this season they're out of contention sooner rather than later.

I presume you've seen the 30 for 30 documentary 'Brian and the Boz' which is very good.

Yes though I suppose it’s the same for everyone with only 4 CFB spots up for grabs and the utterly barmy selection process for said play offs. I suppose the other ironic thing about OU not making it to the CFB play off is at least we won’t stink the place out like we have for the past 4 times we’ve got there.

Nope haven’t seen the doc you mention will search it out. Thanks.

Online Brazilian Villain

« Reply #5007 on: October 13, 2020, 10:55:11 PM »
Yes though I suppose it’s the same for everyone with only 4 CFB spots up for grabs and the utterly barmy selection process for said play offs. I suppose the other ironic thing about OU not making it to the CFB play off is at least we won’t stink the place out like we have for the past 4 times we’ve got there.

Nope haven’t seen the doc you mention will search it out. Thanks.

Just wanted to get a Sooner pun in. :D

Aside from BatB some really good college football documentaries in the 30 for 30 canon i.e. The U, Pony Excess, Roll Tide/War Eagle.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #5008 on: October 14, 2020, 06:45:46 AM »

Must be something about those colours and contoversy. I take it Motherwell are your Scottish team. :)

It's funny you should mention them...

My Gran was born in Dumbarton, but was a big Motherwell fan. God only knows why.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 06:47:30 AM by Axl Rose »

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #5009 on: October 15, 2020, 12:02:01 PM »
I have some signed NFL photos up for sale on eBay at the moment

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/ukredsox/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal