collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The NFL Thread (with added College Football)  (Read 809424 times)

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
Re: The NFL Thread (with added College Football)
« Reply #2790 on: May 08, 2014, 12:10:40 PM »
I think he'd be mad to take Manziel with the first pick, there's some talk that they made trade it anyway.

Nearly time for the Draft, very excited although I won't be watching it until Saturday morning, so I'll have to stay away from this thread.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #2791 on: May 08, 2014, 02:43:37 PM »
If Houston keep the first pick I expect them to take Clowney

Mel Kiper's latest mock draft

1Jadeveon ClowneyHouston Texans (2-14)COLLEGE: South CarolinaClass: JrHT: 6-5WT: 266POS: DE
Analysis: No change here from the last mock. I'll also say again that I believe the Texans are still evaluating multiple options for this pick and certainly would listen to offers, but in this scenario, I feel they will ultimately go with the best player available. I know people will question scheme fit, but guys like Clowney, and certainly J.J. Watt, really transcend scheme. You shift the gap assignments and alignments for guys like these, and you're still going to see major disruption. If you skip sack totals and focus on disruption, Clowney really wasn't a lesser player in 2013 than he was in 2012.

2Greg RobinsonSt. Louis Rams (7-9)COLLEGE: AuburnHT: 6-5WT: 332POS: OT
Analysis: This is also a spot at which I've noted before I'd consider going with Sammy Watkins. And the Rams should also keep the phone lines open here. But if they stay, I think Robinson fits a pretty good balance equation of major talent and major need. This is a player with the upside of an All-Pro tackle. There's still some development left here, particularly in the passing game, but Robinson is only a year removed from playing guard. Not only can St. Louis pass on a wide receiver here, it's a loaded draft at that position and the Rams can pass on WR at No. 13, too, and still be fine.

3Sammy WatkinsJacksonville Jaguars (4-12)COLLEGE: ClemsonClass: JrHT: 6-0WT: 211POS: WR
Analysis: First of all, the Jags will deserve absolutely no heat if they don't take a quarterback here. There's just not enough certainty at that position anywhere in the rookie class to make it imperative to get one at this point. Secondly, even if it seemed like less of a risk, I'm not sure the Jags would do it. I really think they will take the best player at what is probably at least a minor position of need, and I like the Watkins fit. Watkins gives them a dynamic talent, a player who really can help a quarterback, and, given the uncertain future of Justin Blackmon, the depth chart could use Watkins' size and speed combination.

4Johnny ManzielCleveland Browns (4-12)COLLEGE: Texas A&MClass: SophHT: 5-11WT: 207POS: QB
Analysis: Of course it's a risk, but the Browns are in a reasonable position to take a quarterback at this spot and still come out of this draft with impact regardless of what they get out of that quarterback early on. I've also noted before I don't think they need to draft Manziel with the assumption that he starts in Week 1. Brian Hoyer offers a reasonable bridge to a young starter. If Watkins is available here, I can see that as the pick, and I'm not sure Manziel is the No. 1 choice for the Browns at quarterback. But I'll bet on their belief in his ceiling here.

5Khalil MackOakland Raiders (4-12)COLLEGE: BuffaloHT: 6-2WT: 251POS: OLB
Analysis: I'm keeping Mack here from the most recent mock. The additions in free agency at a few spots -- namely at quarterback -- give the Raiders the chance to draft the best player available, and they certainly need an addition to the pass rush. The additions of veteran linemen in free agency don't really diminish that need, and as they look for early impact, Mack's usefulness as a three-down player helps. The Raiders should consider moving down and collecting additional pick assets, as they did last season when they made a first-night deal with Miami.

6Taylor LewanAtlanta Falcons (4-12)COLLEGE: MichiganHT: 6-7WT: 309POS: OT
Analysis: There's been some buzz about Atlanta as a team capable of moving up to take Clowney, but the problem with that is while pass rush is a major need, it doesn't protect the single biggest asset this franchise has, which is Matt Ryan. Yeah, they need a pass-rusher, but tackle is also a major need for the Falcons. If you don't move up and opt to stay here, you still have a chance to take a player capable of going that high -- I really think Lewan could have challenged for No. 1 had he entered the draft last season. Match that level of value with obvious need and you could do a lot worse. Lewan can play.

7Mike EvansTampa Bay Buccaneers (4-12)COLLEGE: Texas A&MClass: SophHT: 6-4WT: 231POS: WR
Analysis: I'd actually consider this another possible trade slot. When you consider how deep the draft is at wide receiver -- and the current shape of this roster -- I think the Bucs would listen here. If they stay put, I certainly like the Evans fit. Vincent Jackson is 31 years old and entering a season in which, without an addition at wide receiver, he could be facing a ton of attention from defenses. And as I noted previously, if you're drafting the best player available at this slot, Evans fits with that, too. Evans isn't a burner, but he dominates with the ball in the air and is a brutal matchup whether in the SEC or in the NFC South. He can take pressure off Jackson and eventually take his spot.

8Blake BortlesMinnesota Vikings (5-10-1)COLLEGE: UCFClass: JrHT: 6-5WT: 232POS: QB
Analysis: Obviously, the current tandem of Matt Cassel and Christian Ponder isn't the long-term answer. On the other hand, the presence of both provides a reasonable basis for drafting a quarterback, because there's no need to simply force-feed a rookie the starting role out of the gate. I think Bortles will benefit from some time in the system before he's forced to handle first-team reps. I'll say again that Bortles is a very good athlete with excellent pocket instincts and can benefit from his ability to create some yards with his legs, as we've seen from a few other young quarterbacks recently.

9Jake MatthewsBuffalo Bills (6-10)COLLEGE: Texas A&MHT: 6-5WT: 308POS: OT
Analysis: No move here. I think Matthews is a good fit based on the need and certainly lines up based on value. He's arguably the best player available here at any position and makes the Bills better. You can draft Matthews and keep Cordy Glenn at left tackle because Matthews has handled both tackle positions effectively. He's a big plus in the run game and is going to upgrade the protection for E.J. Manuel, which is of the utmost importance.

10Odell Beckham Jr.Detroit Lions (7-9)COLLEGE: LSUClass: JrHT: 5-11WT: 198POS: WR
Analysis: Last year, the Lions had the option of taking the top-rated cornerback in the draft, but passed on Dee Milliner. It's worked out so far, even though corner is a big need. This year, they could again have the option of taking a cornerback rated as the best one available ... but, again, they could pass. If their board looks at all like mine, I think both corner and safety (both needs) could be a slight reach here and (A) they really do need another receiver, and (B) Beckham could develop into a star here, even with Calvin Johnson and Golden Tate around. He's explosive with the ball in his hands, but you don't have to simply force easy catches, because he's a very good route-runner and will create space.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

« Reply #2792 on: May 08, 2014, 02:59:02 PM »
Lions have interviewed a hell of a lot of Wide Receivers, must be looking for a No. 2 to Calvin Johnson.

Think their Secondary (like the rest of the NFC North) could use more help though, so I'd be happy with them using their first pick on a Wide Receiver.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #2793 on: May 09, 2014, 07:44:12 AM »
The parents of the Packers' first round pick must have been fans of The Simpsons

http://blog.packers.com/2014/05/08/its-ha-ha-time-in-green-bay-packers-pick-clinton-dix/

Once the Texans decided to keep the first pick it was clear that they were going for Jadeveon Clowney.

Johnny Football wasn't the first QB taken. The Jacksonville/London Jaguars took Blake Bortles with the third pick.

Manziel finally went to the Browns at 22

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #2794 on: May 10, 2014, 02:46:26 AM »
Poor bloke. First he loses loads of money by dropping to number twenty-two. Normally when you go that low you at least have the compensation of signing for a vaguely-competent team.

No, he's got the Browns.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

« Reply #2795 on: May 12, 2014, 12:48:33 PM »
A little disappointed that Da Bears didn't go for Ha-Ha, as I think we needed a Safety even more than a Corner, but I've heard Kyle Fuller talked about as "the new Charles Tillman", which lifted my spirits a bit.

It's official, Running-Backs are about as useful as snappers in the modern NFL  ;)

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #2796 on: May 12, 2014, 01:45:03 PM »
Michael Sam's celebratory kiss with his boyfriend after being drafted produced the expected reaction from the bigots within the NFL and on Twitter.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

« Reply #2797 on: May 12, 2014, 01:54:17 PM »
Hopefully he'll do well in the NFL and shut them up.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

« Reply #2798 on: May 16, 2014, 11:11:45 AM »
The Browns have signed former Cowboy Miles Austin and Former Bear Earl Bennett.

They'll probably still be rubbish though, it's the Browns' Way.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

« Reply #2799 on: June 05, 2014, 03:44:12 PM »
Anyone know who is showing the NFL games this year? Last season Sky had the Thursday and Sunday night games and Eurosport had the Monday night games.

Would be good if it was the same. I've booked the day off work after each of Da Bears late night games (5 in total, although some may change).

Offline DaveD

• Twitter
  • GM : 26.12.2015
« Reply #2800 on: June 05, 2014, 10:56:25 PM »
Have NFL Game Pass. Don't care.

<Kryten>Engage smug mode, smug mode engaged</Kryten>

Seriously, have seen no information for this season coming yet. But if you can afford the £10/month for Game Pass, I would highly recommend it. It's bloody brilliant.

My friends in the USA are spitting feathers because they can't get the same deal, in the same way we're not "officially" allowed to watch Sat 3pm Premier League football over here...

Offline ADVILLAFAN

« Reply #2801 on: June 06, 2014, 09:33:29 AM »
I do really like the Redzone on Sky, which cuts out the adverts, so I imagine they don't have that in America either.

Always watch that if Da Bears aren't one of the featured matches.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #2802 on: June 06, 2014, 01:37:50 PM »
I do really like the Redzone on Sky, which cuts out the adverts, so I imagine they don't have that in America either.

Always watch that if Da Bears aren't one of the featured matches.

They have RedZone in the USA.

Tony Kornheiser from PTI is a big fan and often has Scott Hanson on his DC radio show

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #2803 on: June 17, 2014, 01:44:28 PM »
20years today since the OJ car "chase". The slowest pursuit I've seen on TV

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #2804 on: June 18, 2014, 10:22:46 PM »
No doubt this will be stuck in the court system for years but this is another step in the right direction towards abolishing the derogatory nickname of the Washington Team

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11102096/us-patent-office-cancels-washington-redskins-trademark

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal