collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Monty
[Today at 01:23:43 PM]

Season Tickets by frank black
[Today at 01:23:35 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[Today at 01:11:59 PM]

Kits 24/25 by paul_e
[Today at 01:00:45 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by paul_e
[Today at 12:55:01 PM]

Champions League 2024-2025 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:55:40 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Dogtanian
[Today at 09:55:52 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:41:13 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc.  (Read 132096 times)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc.
« Reply #1620 on: May 21, 2024, 04:36:49 PM »
Carlos. Dendonker. Archer. Tim. KKH. Olsen. Chambers. Coutinho.

Wont get us what we would get for Luiz, in fact for some of those we'd have to pay people to take them off our hands. I could see the sale of Carlos costing us money under FFP.
Also those sales leave us very little cover.

Given that between them they have about 30 appearances this season, it's hardly a problem. And think of the salary savings.

And in any event, why would we get rid of one of our exceptional talents to replace him with a lesser player? It's madness to even consider it.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1621 on: May 21, 2024, 04:44:20 PM »
If we *had* to raise some proper money, i.e. to sell a player we don't want to lose (they're the only ones worth proper money, after all). Say, Martinez, Pau, Konsa, McGinn, Luiz, Watkins etc. I'd choose Watkins. He's at his peak in terms of performance and value and I wouldn't be that surprised if he's just enjoyed the best season of his career*. And we'd get silly money.

*I don't mean his career so far, I mean his total, overall career, past and future.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 04:46:28 PM by Sexual Ealing »

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #1622 on: May 21, 2024, 04:47:13 PM »
Like many of us were concerned about Tielemans being semi retired for about 18 months before he joined us, and those concerns were proven correct for at least a few months after he joined

Quite a convoluted way to say that those concerns were not proven correct.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1623 on: May 21, 2024, 04:47:17 PM »
If we *had* to raise some proper money, i.e. to sell a player we don't want to lose (they're the only ones worth proper money, after all). Say, Martinez, Pau, Konsa, McGinn, Luiz, Watkins etc. I'd choose Watkins. He's at his peak in terms of performance and value and I wouldn't be that surprised if he's just enjoyed the best season of his career. And we'd get silly money.

But then we'd have to replace the only proper striker we've had for the last three years and hope that they're immediately as successful as Watkins, which is a very difficult thing to do. We've already got cover for somebody like Luiz, and he'd be easier to get another replacement for.

edit: not that I want to sell any of the good players, but if FFP dictates that we have to.

Offline coreyfeldman

« Reply #1624 on: May 21, 2024, 04:47:36 PM »
If we *had* to raise some proper money, i.e. to sell a player we don't want to lose (they're the only ones worth proper money, after all). Say, Martinez, Pau, Konsa, McGinn, Luiz, Watkins etc. I'd choose Watkins. He's at his peak in terms of performance and value and I wouldn't be that surprised if he's just enjoyed the best season of his career. And we'd get silly money.

Watkins is absolutely irreplaceable and we'd be absolutely fucked without him. And he's never ever fucking injured to boot, selling him would be probably the most idiotic thing we could do

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #1625 on: May 21, 2024, 04:50:37 PM »

But then we'd have to replace the only proper striker we've had for the last three years and hope that they're immediately as successful as Watkins, which is a very difficult thing to do. We've already got cover for somebody like Luiz, and he'd be easier to get another replacement for.

edit: not that I want to sell any of the good players, but if FFP dictates that we have to.

There are lots of reasons why we wouldn't want to sell any of them, but if we *had to* I think he's both replaceable and the most valuable.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1626 on: May 21, 2024, 04:52:55 PM »
Put it this way - if we're at the stage where we had to raise a Watkins-amount of money, I think there's no way we'd have enough to replace him!

Online edgysatsuma89

« Reply #1627 on: May 21, 2024, 04:53:21 PM »

Watkins is absolutely irreplaceable and we'd be absolutely fucked without him. And he's never ever fucking injured to boot, selling him would be probably the most idiotic thing we could do

I think SE has always had doubts about Watkins, so have I, but I agree, I think it would be mad. His work rate is perfect for Emery.

Fair fucks though Sexual, not afraid of the bold calls knowing full well most people will shoot that head popping up.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1628 on: May 21, 2024, 04:59:57 PM »
I think the only player we have in the squad who is truly irreplaceable is Martinez

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #1629 on: May 21, 2024, 05:00:43 PM »
Carlos. Dendonker. Archer. Tim. KKH. Olsen. Chambers. Coutinho.

Wont get us what we would get for Luiz, in fact for some of those we'd have to pay people to take them off our hands. I could see the sale of Carlos costing us money under FFP.
Also those sales leave us very little cover.

Given that between them they have about 30 appearances this season, it's hardly a problem. And think of the salary savings.

And in any event, why would we get rid of one of our exceptional talents to replace him with a lesser player? It's madness to even consider it.

Its ok we are talking at cross purposes. My theoretical question was who to sell it we had to raise serious funds to give us flexibility for new signings and keep within FFP, yours appears to be what shit shall we get rid of if we can. I agree with your list on that basis although it will make the squad look thin.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #1630 on: May 21, 2024, 05:00:56 PM »

I think SE has always had doubts about Watkins, so have I, but I agree, I think it would be mad. His work rate is perfect for Emery.

Fair fucks though Sexual, not afraid of the bold calls knowing full well most people will shoot that head popping up.

Being considered a wanker who knows nothing about football by some people typing in their bedrooms is a long way down the list of things that trigger the night terrors mate!

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #1631 on: May 21, 2024, 05:01:40 PM »
I think the only player we have in the squad who is truly irreplaceable is Martinez

Watkins too. Who is out there we could get to replace him at a lower chepaer rate?

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1632 on: May 21, 2024, 05:03:16 PM »

Watkins too. Who is out there we could get to replace him at a lower chepaer rate?

It would be very, very hard. But I don't think it's impossible, like it is with Martinez. Replacing him would literally not be possible.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #1633 on: May 21, 2024, 05:08:36 PM »
I personally think there are better goalkeepers than Martinez from a goalie skills perspective. What Martinez gives you though is a presence and mentality light years beyond many others. You can't coach it, you can't teach it, the man has huge brass cojones and is a World Cup winner. I can't think of many other keepers with that package.   

Offline Stinkin_Thinkin

« Reply #1634 on: May 21, 2024, 05:23:57 PM »
If Watkins leaves we are 20+ goals short. It's a massive risk, gambling on getting a replacement someone to come in, hit the ground running and score 20+ goals. Obviously money talks but they'd have to smash the transfer record.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal