collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Abject Villa v Chelsea post match thread.  (Read 12163 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: Abject Villa v Chelsea post match thread.
« Reply #300 on: February 08, 2024, 08:07:08 PM »
To be fair to Kamara, he was being pressed high up the field by 3x Chelsea players, exactly what the plan is, they are over committed, we play around them and attack. It didn't work. It has plenty of times over the last year.

High risk, high reward.

Online RamboandBruno

« Reply #301 on: February 08, 2024, 08:20:06 PM »
Looking back to that run we had between March and the end of last season, Mings cut out any mistakes and starting driving forwards in a way he never had before. Konsa was his immaculate usual self, Cash was fairly solid, Moreno was dynamic , especially combining with Ramsey down the left, but Unai still brought Digne on for a spell most games to do a shoring up job.
Then we bring in Torres in the summer and I think we can all see why now, to do exactly as Ads has described earlier in the thread-break the press.

Out of all that group, last night we had Moreno, who still hasnt got back to his old self yet after a serious injury and is still without a firing Ramsey supporting him. And we have Cash, who has largely lost any form, or has been found out as not up to top four level. Ill acknowledge i don’t like Konsa right back, but Emery is right to have him there instead of Cash.

Anyway, the point Im making is we’ve been decimated and even with Torres back we lose Konsa now. Emery is an amazing manager, but this is a huge test now to get certain players (Carlos and Cash in particular) to get to the required capability.
Hopefully Ramsey can get back to speed to help Moreno.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 09:07:23 PM by RamboandBruno »

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #302 on: February 08, 2024, 09:52:27 PM »
Even Roy Keane and Karen Carney were bigging up the Villa before kick-off: "great team to watch, even though I'm a Birmingham fan, blah blah..."

And then they come out and blast projectile diarrhoea all over the park. Fucking typical!

Karen is a good pundit

Online brontebilly

« Reply #303 on: February 08, 2024, 10:04:31 PM »
I haven’t been able to bring myself to watch the goals, any care to explain how it went wrong each time?

Painful but

1 - Kamara loses ball badly, Cash out of position on break letting Jackson have a free run into Carlos, cross gets laid out for Gallagher to side foot home past a pathetic Luiz effort to block shot

2 - Manduike gets turned on ball under no pressure in midfield and with both McGinn and Luiz caught ahead of the ball , free cross given to their right back, Jackson heads home while Carlos marks thin air

3 - harsh free kick given against Tielemans really but again a Chelsea player gets turned on ball behind our midfield, this happened all night. Fine strike though I think Martinez will be disappointed as he got fingers to it

Summary - full backs given no support, space between CBs and CMs far too big all night

Online brontebilly

« Reply #304 on: February 08, 2024, 10:05:22 PM »
Looking at our abject defence it occurred to me that we don't seem to breed central defenders in the academy. Who was the last one to come through?
Cahill ?

And we sold him to accommodate Zat Knight

Curtis Davies really, Knight was only ever a backup for Davies and Laursen

Online VillaTim

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #305 on: February 08, 2024, 10:11:01 PM »
Looking at our abject defence it occurred to me that we don't seem to breed central defenders in the academy. Who was the last one to come through?
Cahill ?

The £10m pub player who we sold for £250k not long after. Atrocious signing

Online brontebilly

« Reply #306 on: February 08, 2024, 10:18:42 PM »
Cahill ?

The £10m pub player who we sold for £250k not long after. Atrocious signing

Not sure there were too many complaints at the time. He did ok for us next to Laursen anyway. MON didn't really need to go get Cuellar, Collins and Dunne, Cuellar was incredibly average for one.

Cahill didn't star immediately post Villa either, remember Carew destroying him on a couple of occasions. Miles better with the ball than Davies though.

All better than Carlos, including Zat Knight!

Offline LeonW

« Reply #307 on: February 08, 2024, 10:27:49 PM »
The next month the biggest issue weve got to sort is this RB spot. Cash if he HAS to play then needs to treat it like a 3rd centre back and have zero license to go up field. His runs forward (and then snail pace cover/track back) meant Kamara was leaving CM to drop to RB and Tielemens dropping deeper to cover Kamara.
Doesnt work as moving key cogs out purely to cover

If Cash cannot do the disciplined RB role then we need to look at other options. Carlos maybe? pair Pau and Lenglet together for next few weeks?
Its a tricky one

Carlos hasn't got the pace or tactical nous to play in his natural position as a central defender. Moving him to right back would be a car crash and make things even worse.

The only right back place for Carlos is right back to Sevilla.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #308 on: February 09, 2024, 04:04:09 AM »
I am a little disappointed that Emery seems stuck in playing out from the back even when injuries mean we have a drop in player quality. If we are constantly being pressed and losing the ball surely the game plan has to change. Would agree overall though that injuries have led to a loss of confidence, If we get a result against the reds then we are somewhat back on track.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #309 on: February 09, 2024, 08:06:33 AM »
I haven’t been able to bring myself to watch the goals, any care to explain how it went wrong each time?

Painful but

1 - Kamara loses ball badly, Cash out of position on break letting Jackson have a free run into Carlos, cross gets laid out for Gallagher to side foot home past a pathetic Luiz effort to block shot

2 - Manduike gets turned on ball under no pressure in midfield and with both McGinn and Luiz caught ahead of the ball , free cross given to their right back, Jackson heads home while Carlos marks thin air

3 - harsh free kick given against Tielemans really but again a Chelsea player gets turned on ball behind our midfield, this happened all night. Fine strike though I think Martinez will be disappointed as he got fingers to it

Summary - full backs given no support, space between CBs and CMs far too big all night

Cheers - masters of our own downfall in many ways. Fingers crossed for a reaction on Sunday.

Offline LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #310 on: February 09, 2024, 09:34:05 AM »

Painful but

Brilliant summary. All self inflicted. It could have been way more but Chelsea went easy on us after the 2nd. But all will be forgiven if we show some mettle on Sunday. A battling draw is absolutely fine by me.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #311 on: February 09, 2024, 11:29:29 AM »

Painful but

Brilliant summary. All self inflicted. It could have been way more but Chelsea went easy on us after the 2nd. But all will be forgiven if we show some mettle on Sunday. A battling draw is absolutely fine by me.

Didn't just go easy on us. Their goalkeeper got booked for time-wasting when they were 3-0 up. Shows how low their confidence is from being shit the rest of the time.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #312 on: February 09, 2024, 02:59:09 PM »

Painful but

Didn't just go easy on us. Their goalkeeper got booked for time-wasting when they were 3-0 up. Shows how low their confidence is from being shit the rest of the time.
There's no way Chelsea eased up on us. They were as surprised as us to find themselves 3-0 up they weren't controlling the game in that way just enjoying the unexpected position in which they found themselves.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal