collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by john e
[Today at 10:37:04 AM]

Euro 2024 by Bad English
[Today at 10:06:42 AM]

Enzo Barrenechea - nearly signed by pablo_picasso
[Today at 09:57:02 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Monty
[Today at 09:51:17 AM]

Lewis Dobbin by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:46:49 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by astonvilla82
[Today at 09:09:01 AM]

FFP by jwarry
[Today at 08:50:55 AM]

Boxing 2024 by edgysatsuma89
[June 21, 2024, 11:19:09 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What is our priority?  (Read 2685 times)

Offline Paul.S

Re: What is our priority?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2023, 01:54:33 PM »
Winning a Cup is the first step for any club.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2023, 02:10:42 PM »
Getting Olsen a new club would be mine.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2023, 02:29:51 PM »
Continuous improvement. Itís not one thing that is exclusive or emotional the day after a cup defeat. It should be all across the club. Iím sure next year if Emery, Monchi, Heck, the owners etc get it right, then we will be further ahead in a number of areas than we are today.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2023, 02:34:29 PM »
Continuous improvement. Itís not one thing that is exclusive or emotional the day after a cup defeat. It should be all across the club. Iím sure next year if Emery, Monchi, Heck, the owners etc get it right, then we will be further ahead in a number of areas than we are today.

That's a big 'if' to be fair. Heck doesn't appear to be making too many friends, and I think with the benefit of hindsight that the summer recruitment has left the squad really undercooked, and has hamstrung Emery to a certain extent.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2023, 02:43:43 PM »
It will be interesting to see how the club reacts to the attendance. A 3rd round FA Cup Tie at home would be another game you'd imagine they'd target for a big ticket fee.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2023, 04:00:24 PM »
The league is any clubs priority. I suspect Europe is probably second and we lack the capabilities to compete on anymore fronts.

The clubs ambition is to generate more cash; we agree with them. We lag behind significantly in commercial revenue with not just the top earners, but some real average fare too. We don't like what they're doing, but I suspect the Upper Holte will be remedied, as they're after every pound and they're currently leaving a couple of thousand pockets fuller than they'd like and actually, even us as the consumer would like.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2023, 04:47:37 PM »

That's a big 'if' to be fair. Heck doesn't appear to be making too many friends, and I think with the benefit of hindsight that the summer recruitment has left the squad really undercooked, and has hamstrung Emery to a certain extent.

Heck has been here two seconds as has Monchi. Emery only a little longer than that. Iíd give them a minute more to get it right. The getting there is going to have some things that go wrong on the road to getting it right. And at least on the pitch Emery has got way more right than wrong.

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2023, 04:57:14 PM »
The problem is, first impressions are actually important & Heck in particular comes across as a bit of a dickhead...

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2023, 05:04:04 PM »
Iím a ďlegacy fanĒ who has my first season ticket in the mid 80s.

I think Iím in a minority of this group in that Iíd probably take top 4 over winning the ECL or Carabao (and fairly close even to winning the FA Cup, which I know is sacrilege).

I want to see a successful Villa challenging for the very top honours over a number of years, and really establishing ourselves in that group. I think champions league qualification is a more likely route to doing this than winning a cup.

I would take one cup win over one year of champions league; itís more the future that one year of champions league could open up.

Offline Stinkin_Thinkin

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2023, 06:00:43 PM »
If we were genuine top four contenders I could happily take inglorious exit from the cups, however even though the stats say we are the third best team in the league in 23 I dint believe the squad has enough in the tank to actually make a CL place.  Europa is the realistic target therefore we should absolutely take the cups seriously. It always rankles seeing man city out and easy pathways to wembley when you're eliminated.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2023, 06:25:04 PM »
As Iíve said on another thread the Premier League is king

Thing is if you read on here people talking about how important it is to them to win the FA Cup or winning silverware is what we should be about
I know theyíll be a few exceptions including the post above but I can guarantee most will be 40-50 age group and above, I fall into the above bit

Why, because we remember what it was like to win stuff
We were there standing on the terraces of Highbury, Rotterdam, Old Trafford and Wembley, we know what it feels like, and we want to feel it again
Thatís why to a big group on here cups will always be priority, we grew up winning them, not as many as we would like but we had a fair few good days between say 1975-1996

Now believe me Iím not having a go I could almost cry when I write this but if you fall into the younger category youíve seen us win nothing
You donít know what it feels like and youíve been conditioned into believing that the team we put out last night albeit not too weak is worth it because three points on Saturday is far more important
brainwashed if you like into thinking that cups are worthless, compared to finishing a bit higher in the Premier League

As Iíve said before thatís where we are thereís nothing I can do about it itís the new reality
For me if the team whatever it is on Saturday was the team we put out last night and the team we put out against Everton was the team we play on Saturday it would be fine with me

But then I just want that feeling again, itís the best feeling in the world
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 06:26:44 PM by john e »

Offline ez

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2023, 07:04:05 PM »
I definitely think our younger fans have much lower expectation level than us oldies.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2023, 07:24:51 PM »
I fit into your category.  I suppose the thinking is, if we can establish ourselves as a regular top 4 club the trophies will follow (I know this isn't the case for Spurs, but they are just Spursy).  I'd love an FA cup.  But right now I'd rather see Emery's long-term project succeed and for us to be firmly at the top table again.  The alternative is Emery moves on and we start again, probably with someone far less qualified to take us to where we want to be.

So I want it all.  But first, I want Emery to turn us into a formidable team that expects to be top 4-5 and going deep into Europe and cup competitions.  Top players won't hang around or join us if we finish 12th but win the Carabao cup.  Finish 4th and the game's afoot.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2023, 09:13:07 AM »
Would be brilliant if we could win something.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2023, 04:16:21 PM »
I think after the last 4 games it might be the league.  Just a guess. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal