collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by eamonn
[Today at 01:34:31 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 01:33:31 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Crystal Palace Post-Match  (Read 20999 times)

Offline Villafirst

Re: Aston Villa vs Crystal Palace Post-Match
« Reply #405 on: September 18, 2023, 07:32:49 PM »
Think back to August 2019 at Selhurst Park. Remember Kevin Friend booking Jack for diving resulting in Henri Lansbury's goal being disallowed? This cost us a draw and a point. To me, last Saturday was a bit of redemption/payback for that cruel decision.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #406 on: September 18, 2023, 07:37:29 PM »
Think back to August 2019 at Selhurst Park. Remember Kevin Friend booking Jack for diving resulting in Henri Lansbury's goal being disallowed? This cost us a draw and a point. To me, last Saturday was a bit of redemption/payback for that cruel decision.
No, none of what you have said.  Kevin Friend fucked up big time at Selhurst Park, Darren England got it absolutely right. This is not redemption/payback or karma etc. We still need that score to be settled.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #407 on: September 18, 2023, 07:37:47 PM »
One slightly interesting stat is the Diaby disallowed goal was the only offside in the game.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #408 on: September 18, 2023, 07:48:55 PM »
It was a penalty.
We've suffered enough at the hands of Kane, Salah etc ("he's entitled to go down" shite) when there's been little, if any, contact...the defender fouled Watkins in the process of trying to play the ball.
Penalty.

Offline baddowvillans

« Reply #409 on: September 18, 2023, 09:58:18 PM »
All I'll say about the penalty is that I'd have been annoyed if it had been up the other end. I can see the argument for it being so and not being a pen, but we'll see this happen against us I'm sure. Within a week you'll see a very similar challenge in a game go to VAR and not get given. It's like the Gordon pen in Newcastle Brentford compared to one that was denied for Brentford a few weeks back. Consistency is dire.

I just don't get that thinking.  Just look at what actually happens and its a clear penalty no matter what shirt the defender is wearing. 

Online edgysatsuma89

« Reply #410 on: September 18, 2023, 10:16:30 PM »
All I'll say about the penalty is that I'd have been annoyed if it had been up the other end. I can see the argument for it being so and not being a pen, but we'll see this happen against us I'm sure. Within a week you'll see a very similar challenge in a game go to VAR and not get given. It's like the Gordon pen in Newcastle Brentford compared to one that was denied for Brentford a few weeks back. Consistency is dire.

I just don't get that thinking.  Just look at what actually happens and its a clear penalty no matter what shirt the defender is wearing.

It's because he just grazes the ball, which shouldn't mean it isn't a pen but close to always does, that's the problem. I think he is right, you will see ones when that graze is justified in not giving the pen. I don't agree with it, it's bollocks but you can tell by how most of the pundits have spoken about it and even though they are ex players they seem to fall for it.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #411 on: September 18, 2023, 10:39:23 PM »
Just to clarify - from Garth Crooks:
Douglas Luiz (Aston Villa): I thought that Crystal Palace assistant manager Paddy McCarthy's analysis on the penalty awarded to Villa was spot on. Any referee who needs five minutes to make a decision must have sufficient doubts, but that didn't stop Darren England from compounding his error of judgment.

And yet the rules to overturn his decision mean that the error has to be "clear & obvious".

Any referee who needs five minutes to make a decision must not see a "clear & obvious" error.

Therefore, penalty...

And thats without the fact that it was still a penalty, with or without VAR, because feathering the ball with your toenail fluff & then going through the man to kick the ball means that its a foul whichever way you look at it.

And Im not convinced he even got his toenail fluff on the ball tbh...

I would put a countdown timer on VAR. If it takes longer, than say a minute, it's not a clear and obvious and the on-field decision stands.

Agreed, I’ve  been saying this for a year now.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #412 on: September 23, 2023, 08:12:38 PM »
The Bloke Sat in Front of Me would have agreed with you on Saturday.

We noticed he was going through the agonies of hell while we waited the five minutes to discover whether it was a penalty or not, slumping in his seat with his head in his hands.

After the game, we had a chat while we were queueing up to get to the aisle and he said that Villa meant so much to him that the results define what sort of a week he's going to have. The look on his girlfriend's face suggested this was entirely true.

Just as well England got it right, then!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal