collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Diego Carlos  (Read 3475 times)

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
Diego Carlos
« on: April 28, 2023, 02:53:17 PM »
Is it just me that thinks it could be over for him?

He comes out to warm up 10  - 15 minutes after the rest of the players, comes out with only a few mins of half time remaining to warm up with the others, hardly warms up down the touchline in game and has not looked like getting a single minutes game play.

I wonder if the injury was a lot worse than first thought?

I would of thought he would of got 10 mins against Geordies and a couple of mins here and there - maybe the form of Konsa and Mings is just too good at present i dont know

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: Diego Carlos
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 02:55:58 PM »

Then surely he wouldn't be in the matchday squad if his injury was stopping him from (potentially) playing?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 03:10:14 PM by Dave »

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 03:32:35 PM »
I'm only asking on the basis of what i see

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2023, 03:33:44 PM »
Is it just me that thinks it could be over for him?

He comes out to warm up 10  - 15 minutes after the rest of the players, comes out with only a few mins of half time remaining to warm up with the others, hardly warms up down the touchline in game and has not looked like getting a single minutes game play.

I would of thought he would of got 10 mins against Geordies and a couple of mins here and there - maybe the form of Konsa and Mings is just too good at present i dont know

There's no question, the form of Mings and Konsa has been exceptional, clean sheets galore. Don't break it up if you don't need to, and as centre backs they don't need to cover as much ground as most other positions. Let Carlos build up his strength and fitness and use him only when needed.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023, 03:38:42 PM »

Then surely he wouldn't be in the matchday squad if his injury was stopping him from (potentially) playing?

Indeed, Emery wouldn't put him there for the sake of it, he's happy to leave spaces empty or stick the likes of Raikhy or Travis Perkins* there.

* I know.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2023, 10:13:14 AM »
He really didn't stand out before his injury, maybe Emery doesn't rate him.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2023, 10:30:39 AM »

Isn't the most likely explanation just that his possible space in the side is currently taken by the two most in-form centre backs in the league?

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2023, 10:45:05 AM »
It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to break up a well-functioning defensive unit with 5 games of the season left & a very real chance at Europa League football.

Could see him being more involved if we've lots of European games to deal with next season.

Offline bill

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2023, 11:21:04 AM »
Still think Konsa is a weak link. Gets caught in possession too much for my liking. Dwells on the ball too much. He’s improved, as have all the team, but Carlos is definitely a class above him.

Online Mellin

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2023, 11:31:12 AM »
7 clean sheets in 10 games. Nothing to see here.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2023, 11:59:52 AM »
Newcastle at home in the closing minutes is the only game where he could've realistically come on with the game won comfortably.

All the other matches have been in the balance late on. You don't start messing around with your centre halves in that scenario for no good reason.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2023, 12:04:00 PM »
Harsh to say he didn’t look up to much, he only played twice in a new league with Gerrard as manager.
I agree with everyone else that Mings and Konsa have been more than good enough to keep their places from what they’ve done in the last 10 games, and to be honest if they keep it up I don’t think we should change it. There hasn’t been much point changing anything there.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2023, 12:08:26 PM »
Still think Konsa is a weak link. Gets caught in possession too much for my liking. Dwells on the ball too much. He’s improved, as have all the team, but Carlos is definitely a class above him.

I think Mings carried Konsa for a lot of the season but I was really impressed with Konsa against Fulham. Best I've seen him play in a good while. I do think it's a bit odd that Carlos hasn't seen a single minute of action under Emery..there were some very comfortable wins in that time that he could have got a run.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2023, 12:15:13 PM »

Isn't the most likely explanation just that his possible space in the side is currently taken by the two most in-form centre backs in the league?

I think this is the most likely explanation, personally. Although other players like Watkins and Ramsey have looked tired at times in the last couple of games Mings and Konsa have continued to play well.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2023, 12:49:27 PM »
I'm sure he'll get an opportunity in pre season to impress and be assessed. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal