collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Matchday Rituals/Habits  (Read 8590 times)

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Matchday Rituals/Habits
« on: March 27, 2023, 03:14:58 PM »
So, just inspired by other threads, I wondered if people have any rituals, habits, superstitions etc that they follow on Matchdays?

I know a lot go to the pub, or wear certain things but wondered if there were any particular things to you that you'd like to share?

When I was a kid, my dad would take me and we'd always get a Wagon Wheel!

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
Re: Matchday Rituals/Habits
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 03:18:10 PM »
I remember before the Tranmere semi-final home leg, we arrived a little earlier than usual so we could walk around the entire ground before the game, in the hope that would magically help us overturn the deficit.  Having performed that miracle, we tried to replicate it at Wembley for the final but were thwarted by a big bastard fence.

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 03:33:29 PM »
Driving from Bedfordshire to Villa Park I, accompanied by my son and daughter, always telephone my good mate and fellow Villa fan JW for his score prediction. The call can only be made once we are on the M6 and it is usually the case that amongst the four of us a correct result and score is correctly predicted.
In addition I no longer buy a programme as this seemed to be the reason we got relegated, fortunes have been much better since I stopped which is a bit of a bugger as I used to enjoy reading it whilst having a post match Balti at the Kababish in Moseley, another ritual that has existed for 35 years plus.
This season has seen me sporting a new Villa top of the vintage variety which also appears to have some good luck attached so that will be worn until it falls apart.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 03:50:27 PM »
Not related to Villa but after breaking them I developed a habit of taping the 2 smallest toes on my left foot together. In 24 years since I started doing it I've only not done it twice and in those 2 games I broke my ribs in 1 and my collarbone in the other. I will never play a match without it every again, my wife is probably more superstitious about it than I am and even going the club when I'm not playing she makes me do it.

Online Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 04:01:19 PM »
I have a friend who always has to buy a packet of Smarties and stand on a blue one before entering Sunderland's ground.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 04:02:47 PM »
I always like to reverse my car up Witton Lane as soon after the final whistle as I can. 

Offline Alex77

• GM : 19.11.2023
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2023, 04:09:49 PM »
So, just inspired by other threads, I wondered if people have any rituals, habits, superstitions etc that they follow on Matchdays?

I know a lot go to the pub, or wear certain things but wondered if there were any particular things to you that you'd like to share?

He never bought me a Wagon Wheel :(

My only match day tradition is that we always lose. I'll buy my own Wagon Wheel next time!

Offline Drummond

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2023, 04:17:49 PM »
My favourite scarf is an official white one with claret and blue stripes, but we never do well in it. I've consigned it to stay in a cupboard never to be worn again.

If we do win, I try and weasr exactly what I was wearing to the next match. If we lose then I don't wear the same combo again.

Offline Drummond

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2023, 04:18:10 PM »

He never bought me a Wagon Wheel :(

My only match day tradition is that we always lose. I'll buy my own Wagon Wheel next time!

He doesn't love you as much.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2023, 04:23:16 PM »
Match day was one of the few occasions when we would get crisps and chocolate bars as a kid. I sat with my Dad at the Bournemouth game for the first time in a long time and was disappointed he'd forgotten the snacks.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2023, 04:26:23 PM »
In terms of superstition, I used to vary which end of the bed my pillow was depending on how we were doing. I have had various items of clothing which I considered lucky at various times but it never lasts. To quote John Gregory "it's a load of bollocks isn't it"

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2023, 04:37:50 PM »
Get up, go to the pub, watch the game, go to the pub, go home.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2023, 04:51:05 PM »
Get up, go to the pub, watch the game, go to the pub, go home.

Dave stole my answer.

Offline Kevin Dawson

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2023, 04:53:50 PM »
I always like to reverse my car up Witton Lane as soon after the final whistle as I can. 

That made me chuckle. Very good!

Offline Martin Carruthers

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2023, 04:57:34 PM »
I have a friend who always has to buy a packet of Smarties and stand on a blue one before entering Sunderland's ground.

He's a Villa fan as well, takes him hours.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal