collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by papa lazarou
[Today at 02:25:58 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 02:15:30 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Ollie Watkins by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:57:32 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:53:30 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Ian.
[Today at 01:48:55 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Diego Carlos by OCD
[Today at 01:21:52 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by papa lazarou
[Today at 02:25:58 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:23:25 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by nigel
[Today at 02:17:15 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 02:15:30 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:14:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 02:14:26 PM]

Re: Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by nigel
[Today at 02:12:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: UEFA Europa Conference League - Alkmaar, Legia and Zrinjski  (Read 371880 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: UEFA Europa Conference League
« Reply #2205 on: June 08, 2023, 11:30:28 AM »
I spent some time earlier looking at some Juventus forums (I know, it's a slow day) to see what they were saying about the Conference League next year.

Their general line of thought seems to be that if we got drawn against them, we would win, we're the strongest team in the competition, and with Emery, we've practically got it won before a ball is kicked.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2206 on: June 08, 2023, 11:32:29 AM »
This over confidence is going to bite us in the ass.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2207 on: June 08, 2023, 11:39:22 AM »
I wonder what their score prediction was for Stevenage.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2208 on: June 08, 2023, 11:40:19 AM »
I spent some time earlier looking at some Juventus forums (I know, it's a slow day) to see what they were saying about the Conference League next year.

Their general line of thought seems to be that if we got drawn against them, we would win, we're the strongest team in the competition, and with Emery, we've practically got it won before a ball is kicked.

This needs to be leavened a bit by the fact that Juve fans are having an enormous strop right now, just absolutely wallowing in self-pity.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2209 on: June 08, 2023, 11:41:01 AM »

See, I know there are macro issues around the comparitive financial strengths of the English and Italian games, but the thought of Juventus shitting themselves about facing us is both a testament to Emery's work and a complete headfuck.

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #2210 on: June 08, 2023, 11:42:48 AM »

Yup.

Plus, if we did a WHAM! and won the bloody thing while showing everyone how shit we really are by dropping down the league table, all the good work we are doing to increase revenue and be attractive to a better class of players goes out the window.

The priority next season must be to show that we are serious about breaking into the top six, continue building our revenue and reputation, and use that to help build a squad capable of competing on multiple fronts.

I know we all want a trophy. But if that comes with a 14th place finish, it's too big a price to pay.

Online LeeB

« Reply #2211 on: June 08, 2023, 11:44:14 AM »

Yup.

Plus, if we did a WHAM! and won the bloody thing while showing everyone how shit we really are by dropping down the league table, all the good work we are doing to increase revenue and be attractive to a better class of players goes out the window.

The priority next season must be to show that we are serious about breaking into the top six, continue building our revenue and reputation, and use that to help build a squad capable of competing on multiple fronts.

I know we all want a trophy. But if that comes with a 14th place finish, it's too big a price to pay.

With respect, is it bollocks. The point of football is winning trophies.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #2212 on: June 08, 2023, 11:44:27 AM »

Is there anything that suggests that West Ham's extra European games are anything to do with their league performance?

Online LeeB

« Reply #2213 on: June 08, 2023, 11:46:39 AM »

Is there anything that suggests that West Ham's extra European games are anything to do with their league performance?

The got to the semi final of the higher competition last year whilst finishing 7th, which seems to be forgotten by all those making that point.

They're 14th because they made some bad signings, not because of being in Europe.

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #2214 on: June 08, 2023, 11:52:39 AM »
I didn't say if we try and win it we will end up 14th.

I'm saying that if it comes to a choice between where we focus, at this point in time we need to choose the Premier League.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2215 on: June 08, 2023, 11:58:12 AM »
West Ham's form picked up quite noticeably from about March onwards, which would suggest that it wasn't tiredness or being in Europe that caused their shit first half of the season form.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #2216 on: June 08, 2023, 12:04:31 PM »
We've the perfect manager as long as he's backed by sufficient recruitment to deal with the European schedule.
He's already proven with last seasons squad that players can seamlessly adapt to coming into the team.
We're clearly a season ahead of schedule anyway and I can't wait.
I think we could be top 6 plus some very strong Cup runs for next season.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2217 on: June 08, 2023, 12:05:34 PM »
Doubly confident post!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 12:07:23 PM by olaftab »

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2218 on: June 08, 2023, 12:06:14 PM »

I agree with that and there is nothing wrong with overconfidence. I am NOT cancelling my hotel in Athens.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2219 on: June 08, 2023, 12:16:40 PM »
If the best of the standard is based on what was offered up last night we should win it at a canter really. West Ham were no great shakes but did enough and were the better team on the night at least. Previous Vila teams would contrive to screw it up but not under Emery.

Yes, it would be good to add the trophy to our list but I wouldn't be as over the top celebrating as though it was some massive achievement if we did win it.  Besides, we'll still be celebrating the League, FA cup and League cup wins.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal