collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: UEFA Europa Conference League - Alkmaar, Legia and Zrinjski  (Read 371595 times)

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
Re: Europe
« Reply #1665 on: May 26, 2023, 11:18:47 AM »
Is it me or anyone else not getting excited by the Conf League? It's a 3rd tier euro comp playing Andorra's finest.
I am excited by the progress we have made under Unai, what the summer may bring and where this club is heading....but is it that big a deal playing in the conf league?

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #1666 on: May 26, 2023, 11:22:25 AM »
Well, winning it qualifies you for the Europa...

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #1667 on: May 26, 2023, 11:23:17 AM »
Is it me or anyone else not getting excited by the Conf League? It's a 3rd tier euro comp playing Andorra's finest.
I am excited by the progress we have made under Unai, what the summer may bring and where this club is heading....but is it that big a deal playing in the conf league?

It can lead to an extra £15-20m of revenue that can be spent improving the squad, so yeah it's an important step.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #1668 on: May 26, 2023, 11:24:00 AM »
Before we get into the group stage of the Conference League, we will have to play a qualifying round in August

Hopefully we get through

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #1669 on: May 26, 2023, 11:29:55 AM »

It can lead to an extra £15-20m of revenue that can be spent improving the squad, so yeah it's an important step.

I get that and winning it brings Europa qualification, but just the prestige of it is a bit…
I’ll still be screaming the team on Sunday to get this final win.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1670 on: May 26, 2023, 11:30:04 AM »
Well, winning it qualifies you for the Europa...

Not much good when you've already qualified for the Champions League.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #1671 on: May 26, 2023, 11:33:30 AM »

I get that and winning it brings Europa qualification, but just the prestige of it is a bit…
I’ll still be screaming the team on Sunday to get this final win.

Is it any less prestigious than say the Cup Winners Cup used to be? Its a bit like saying the League Cup isnt as prestigious as any domestic tournament, yes it may not have the cache of the FA Cup but I notice every club includes it within there list of honours won and newbee "big clubs" Cit£h and Chelski deliberately targeted it to get there trophy counts up. I'm hoping we do the same. 

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #1672 on: May 26, 2023, 11:34:45 AM »

I think the fact that they always pick small stadiums for the final tells its own story.  I get that it's European competition,  but it still has that mickey mouse feel about it.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1673 on: May 26, 2023, 11:36:28 AM »
The League Cup feels prestigious by the time you reach the semi final and final stages.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1674 on: May 26, 2023, 11:36:44 AM »
The club, the manager and the players seem to be excited by the prospect and that will do for me.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 02:11:08 PM by LeeB »

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #1675 on: May 26, 2023, 11:37:46 AM »

I think the fact that they always pick small stadiums for the final tells its own story.  I get that it's European competition,  but it still has that mickey mouse feel about it.

And UEFA have admitted already that's been a mistake and need to rectify it.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #1676 on: May 26, 2023, 11:46:39 AM »
Roma won it last year, and they're in the Europa League final this year.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1677 on: May 26, 2023, 12:01:03 PM »

As long as we don't take them lightly. https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40475647

More generally, what LeeB said.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1678 on: May 26, 2023, 12:49:25 PM »
It means we will play more matches, you spend more time on H&V and will give your life more meaning and less meaning at the same time.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1679 on: May 26, 2023, 01:51:26 PM »

I am excited about the prospect of being back in European competition to be honest.  Think it will be a good step back into European football and hopefully a step towards us competing in higher level competitions.

Would still love to see us win the Europa League (though wish it was still a two legged knockout competition and called the UEFA Cup, but there you go) and this could be a stepping stone in that process.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal