collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Leicester City Pre-Match  (Read 14306 times)

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
Re: Aston Villa vs Leicester City Pre-Match
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2023, 02:26:48 PM »
Any news from Emery's pre-match press conference?

Summary is on the AVFC app now.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2023, 02:33:57 PM »
Unai Emery spoke to members of the media at his pre-match press conference on Friday afternoon.

With just over 24 hours to go until kick-off against Leicester City at Villa Park, the head coach gave his thoughts on facing the Foxes, offered an update on the fitness of his squad and shared an insight into some of the club's decisions during the transfer window.

Here’s what he had to say…

“John McGinn is going to be in the squad – in the 20 players we will have tomorrow. Diego Carlos is close to starting to train with us but, of course, he won’t play tomorrow.

“Lucas Digne has trained as normal with us this week. Bertrand Traoré is coming next week to start training progressively with us. Jed Steer is not yet ready.”

Traore
“I am sure and I am so convinced about his quality, and how much he can help us from now until the end of the season.

“We were following some players and analysing if they are better than the players we have or better than the possibility to have Bertrand Traoré back again.

“We decided that if we don’t have a possibility to sign a player who can improve our squad, improve our wingers, then we were sure – don’t do it.

“At the end [of the transfer window], I am so happy because I think we have players with big commitment and showing us good performances.” 

Dhuran
“I can’t give him the responsibility and pressure now, but he’s a professional. He was playing in the MLS and that’s not like here in the Premier League but he’s training very well.

“He’s hungry to build up quickly and he’s learning quickly from his teammates. He has the possibility to play minutes tomorrow and to make his debut.”

Emery added: “Jhon Durán is going to improve and grow up with us. He’s going to play matches and get minutes.

“He’s going to be on the pitch and training with us every day. We signed him without wanting to give him the responsibility to be our striker in the starting XI, but if he will show us he’s ready to do it, I will do it.”

Leicester
“This season they started with a bit more doubt with their results, but they have a very good coach (Brendan Rodgers). He’s shown in the past, and he will show again, his capacity.

“They have very good players but maybe they are in a moment where they don’t feel 100% confident.

“In 90 minutes they play very good matches and they can have very good performances individually. They are towards the bottom of the table and they are going to try and win against us.

“We are playing at home, at Villa Park, and we need points because we can get into the top ten. I respect a lot Leicester; I respect a lot the players; I respect a lot the coach.”

« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2023, 02:34:09 PM »
Wrt injuries, McGinn back in the squad and Digne training as normal this week. Diego Carlos and Traore a week or two away from training. Very positive wrt Traore and Duran. Would rather have Traore back if we couldn't sign players with the quality to improve the squad. Duran training well and may make his debut tomorrow (if we're winning I'd imagine).

Online TaxDodger

« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2023, 02:46:49 PM »
McGinn back in the squad straight away? Surely he can't get off so easily after he decided to sit on a plane for 45 minutes when he was injured?

Offline garyellis

« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2023, 03:02:17 PM »
McGinn back in the squad straight away? Surely he can't get off so easily after he decided to sit on a plane for 45 minutes when he was injured?
Perhaps we can have him put in the stocks as part of the pre-match build up?

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2023, 03:02:39 PM »
It would be nice to see Dhuran come on at 70 minutes and score a quick-fire hat-trick.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2023, 03:18:02 PM »
It would be nice to see Dhuran come on at 70 minutes and score a quick-fire hat-trick.

Although a more Villa thing would be for him to come on at 70 minutes and get stretchered off after 85.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2023, 05:19:47 PM »

Emery:
"John McGinn is not the first in my mind to be in the starting 11..."

He also said "'But I'm going to use him if we need him as JM very important for us"

"Use him" yeah , which basically means he may come on for 10 minutes, and of course the experienced manager that Emery is would say that as long as he's our captain, he's important. He doesn't want to create stories. It beginning of the end for McGinn.

To be so clear that JM isn't starting and is not first in the coach's mind says it all. Telling statement.So yeah, he didn't help his cause by flying away with Finance to Dublin.Replaced in the summer is my forecast.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 05:24:54 PM by Footy-Vill »

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2023, 05:25:18 PM »

Emery:

He also said "'But I'm going to use him if we need him as JM very important for us"

"Use him" yeah , which basically means he may come on for 10 minutes, and of course the experienced manager that Emery is would say that as long as he's our captain, he's important. Doesn't want to create stories. It beginning of the end for McGinn. To be so clear that JM isn't starting and is not first in the coach's mind says it all. Telling statement.So yeah, he didn't help his cause by flying away with Finance to Dublin.Replaced in the summer is my forecast.

Jesus can you imagine a more boring awayday than going to Dublin and having to spend it with the accountants.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2023, 05:34:11 PM »

Emery:

"Use him" yeah , which basically means he may come on for 10 minutes, and of course the experienced manager that Emery is would say that as long as he's our captain, he's important. Doesn't want to create stories. It beginning of the end for McGinn. To be so clear that JM isn't starting and is not first in the coach's mind says it all. Telling statement.So yeah, he didn't help his cause by flying away with Finance to Dublin.Replaced in the summer is my forecast.

Jesus can you imagine a more boring awayday than going to Dublin and having to spend it with the accountants.

Teachers are the most boring outside of work.
And some are just boring in and out of schools!

McGinn parents are both teachers!

« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2023, 05:35:36 PM »

You've clearly never had a night out in the pubs around Grafton St. with Risso and me. 8)

Offline manic-road

« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2023, 05:41:33 PM »
Win 2-0 Watkins and Emi B

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2023, 05:46:21 PM »

Although a more Villa thing would be for him to come on at 70 minutes and get stretchered off after 85.

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2015/08/11/villa-top-5-our-premier-league-goalscoring-debuts

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2023, 05:51:42 PM »

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2015/08/11/villa-top-5-our-premier-league-goalscoring-debuts

No Dion Dublin? Scored twice on his debut and a hat trick in his second game!

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2023, 06:02:34 PM »

No Dion Dublin? Scored twice on his debut and a hat trick in his second game!

Phillips scored v Bolton too - wasn't that his debut?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal