collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Shirt Sponsor 23/24 - BK8  (Read 29027 times)

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
Re: Shirt Sponsor 23/24
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2023, 01:59:33 AM »
What I don't understand is why six clubs have access to premium sponsors while the rest of us have to scramble around with the disreputable companies left over?   It seems to me that FFP rules are as much a cause of this unedifying situation as anything else and if OCI, Fortress or any other affiliated company were allowed to sponsor Villa, we wouldn't have to sell our souls to these awful entities. It all stinks of an uneven playing field.

Is it not that we’re ‘allowed’ to get them, just not able?

Offline LeonW

« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2023, 04:28:43 AM »
What I don't understand is why six clubs have access to premium sponsors while the rest of us have to scramble around with the disreputable companies left over?   It seems to me that FFP rules are as much a cause of this unedifying situation as anything else and if OCI, Fortress or any other affiliated company were allowed to sponsor Villa, we wouldn't have to sell our souls to these awful entities. It all stinks of an uneven playing field.

I suspect it’s because they’re likely offering  paying a premium because of the change of rules likely to come in soon and other clubs having way, way more of a conscience than our hierarchy to reject them. I mean, didn’t Norwich quickly remove themselves from this very sponsor after a backlash recently? Norwich. Obviously they’ll be offering us more than Norwich but the point remains. I suspect that Purslow either doesn’t have the ability to get a more reputable sponsor or thinks that we won’t care enough as a supporter base or just plain doesn’t care as it’s job done for him. We know he’s not in favour of the fan led review and increased compliance in football governance. You’d have to question why.

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2023, 04:31:00 AM »
Given the obscene wealth in the PL, based on global viewing figures, I am amazed at how obscure the sponsorships are.

I'm not especially touchy about these things, but If the audience is that vast, why do we have to rely on a gambling company that adopts borderline paedophilia as a marketing strategy?

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2023, 07:06:07 AM »
Given the obscene wealth in the PL, based on global viewing figures, I am amazed at how obscure the sponsorships are.

I'm not especially touchy about these things, but If the audience is that vast, why do we have to rely on a gambling company that adopts borderline paedophilia as a marketing strategy?

They pay double what non-gambling sponsors pay.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2023, 07:42:51 AM »
He was insistent that the dodgy advert was from an affiliate rather than them and they have a compliance unit to ensure nothing like that happens again. They are also very keen to get involved with our community work and the women's team don't have a problem with the deal.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2023, 08:13:23 AM »
He was insistent that the dodgy advert was from an affiliate rather than them and they have a compliance unit to ensure nothing like that happens again. They are also very keen to get involved with our community work and the women's team don't have a problem with the deal.

That's good to hear Dave.

Offline johnc

• GM : 15.02.2025
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2023, 08:44:10 AM »

I don’t get this either. Are they all based in Asia. I see all these various online betting apps and I have never heard of them. So where does the revenue come from to buy shop window space on a PL shirt? Is it all generated in Asia.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2023, 09:10:32 AM »

I don’t get this either. Are they all based in Asia. I see all these various online betting apps and I have never heard of them. So where does the revenue come from to buy shop window space on a PL shirt? Is it all generated in Asia.

They're basically (or have been accused of being) money-laundering fronts for China, Philippines and Macau-based gangsters. And it's pretty disgraceful that football, and us in particular are anything to do with them.

https://josimarfootball.com/the-trillion-dollar-gambling-game/

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2023, 09:25:16 AM »

I don't know, to be honest Percy.  I've had a quick Google around and I think the whole driver of what a club is allowed to earn through sponsorship is "fair market value".  Now just what "fair market value" is, how it is worked out, and when it first became a  "thing" is beyond me.  My hunch is it was dreamt up by a certain six clubs some time over the past decade.   

Looking at current sponsorship deals between those six clubs and the rest of the league, the gap is enormous and, in my opinion, totally artificial.  The sixth highest sponsorship deal in the Premier League (Arsenal's 40 million a year deal) is roughly four times more than West Ham (who have the seventh highest deal).  West Ham's shirt deal is nearly double ours.   How is this all worked out?

My Googling also tells me the owner-related sponsorship ban is now no longer a thing (Amanda Staveley fought against it) so it would seem there is now nothing stopping clubs being sponsored by entities connected to their owners as long as the sponsorship reflects "fair market value".  Bringing it all back to Villa and this current deal with BK8, a question I'd ask Christian Purslow is why can't  OCI or Fortress etc step in and pick up the deal?

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2023, 09:43:48 AM »

It's all about logos on television in Asia, not the UK.

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2023, 10:54:26 AM »
Around 500 people a year, mostly young men, commit suicide, after getting hooked on gambling by these greedy betting companies. That is why I am extremely disappointed with Villa agreeing this deal with BK8. The government has to take control of this and kick gambling ads out football.

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2023, 12:39:43 PM »
After the Monster partnership this comes as little surprise.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2023, 01:02:34 PM »
Between that and the socios deal, i think it's pretty clear purslow couldn't give a shit about the fans.

He's the very definition of a mid-ranking Tory cabinet minister. All spin and weasel words. He looks like he'd love nothing more than a round of redundancies for season-ticket holders 'for the future of the business'. Twat.
Ffs can we keep politics out of it just for once

Awkward.

Who let Trotsky back in?
  Working class....at what salary level do you move into and out of working class?

Why is that awkward?

I asked genuinely at what point is someone working class - is it someone who is working?  What if they work in a job that is £250K per year?

The Trotsky comment was based on some posters could talk about the weather and it would be Tory this and Brexit that and......  its like they have an obsession to factor it into every thread and discussion.

Surely there are always several threads in off topic about politics - can we not just keep this main thread to football content?

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2023, 06:36:08 PM »
Between that and the socios deal, i think it's pretty clear purslow couldn't give a shit about the fans.

He's the very definition of a mid-ranking Tory cabinet minister. All spin and weasel words. He looks like he'd love nothing more than a round of redundancies for season-ticket holders 'for the future of the business'. Twat.

Awkward.

Who let Trotsky back in?
  Working class....at what salary level do you move into and out of working class?

Why is that awkward?

I asked genuinely at what point is someone working class - is it someone who is working?  What if they work in a job that is £250K per year?

The Trotsky comment was based on some posters could talk about the weather and it would be Tory this and Brexit that and......  its like they have an obsession to factor it into every thread and discussion.

Surely there are always several threads in off topic about politics - can we not just keep this main thread to football content?
Personally I've gone off the basis that class differences are largely (but not entirely) to do with a single factor. If your actions are directly related to what you earn, you're working class. So a binman gets paid a wage to collect bins for N hours a week, something like that.

Someone who's middle class, what they earn is based on what other people do. So management, you're not doing the day-to-day actual work of, I dunno, selling stuff in Tesco - you're hiring and firing, you're ordering stuff for them to sell. However, your fate is directly tied to those actions - the company fails, you lose your job.

Someone who's upper class, like management they don't do the day-to-day work. However, they're also to some extent abstracted away from how successful those businesses are too. Maybe the own loads of land and whether the businesses on them succeed or fail makes no difference. Maybe, like the king, there's mechanisms in place which largely prevent them from failing. You know, folk like the Duke of Westminster who owns most of the city of Chester (and huge lumps of London), so as long as people live in those places he's alright really, it doesn't matter whether they're poor or rich, successful or not really - he gets his money either way.

It's not so black and white of course, and there's plenty of examples that don't fit in to that rigid definition. But I find it useful as a jumping off point when considering class.

Anyway, shirt sponsorship. I really, really wish we wouldn't get involved with gambling companies. Absolutely not against people gambling if that's what they want to do, but there's a huge gap between that and promoting / endorsing it
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 06:37:41 PM by algy »

Offline astonvilla82

« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2023, 07:51:21 PM »

Awkward.

Who let Trotsky back in?

Why is that awkward?

I agree Comrade

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal