collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Tim Iroegbunam by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:57 AM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:04:54 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:39:26 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:47 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:05:56 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:57 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:04:54 AM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:26:18 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:10:15 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by tomd2103
[Today at 12:44:09 AM]

Re: Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 3-1 Newton Heath post match pint, pie and chips  (Read 31069 times)

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
Re: Aston Villa 3-1 Newton Heath post match pint, pie and chips
« Reply #375 on: November 09, 2022, 12:41:31 AM »
On the glory hunting thing I do get it when there is genuine family connection, although I think a lot of people make this up - mostly their Dad's will never been to old trafford either.  Funny how you don't get many Norwich fans in the Midlands because their Dad supported them (or even Newcastle, Leeds etc)

But without the family thing, I just can't understand why someone would support a team with another City's name.  You're from a Birmingham suburb but choose to support Liverpool or Manchester United when you have no connection to the City whatsoever.  Most probably haven't even been to the City let alone the ground.  Why not just go the whole hog and support Brazil or Italy in international football?

Also, if you're not really into football, why bring your kid up as a Liverpool fan (as one of my mates has), which means they'll probably never see them live or if they do it ill be once in a blue moon, when he could have jumped on board with Villa or even the Baggies or Wolves?

I don't get it.  And yes, it probably pisses me off more than it should.

Any legitimate family connection is fine, but as you say, it's funny that all these people had fathers/uncles who were born or worked in Manchester, rather than, say, Hull. I remember one going on in our sixth form common room about how he's a 'true' Man Utd fan because he lived there in a terraced house with his parents until he was 8. He was irritating me, so I said, "oh yeah? I have family in Manchester*, know it quite well, whereabouts?"

Silence.

"Erm, central..."

"Yeah? A terraced house in the city centre? Which street?"

Silence.

"Old Trafford Street..."

Haha, reminds me of an incident with two Everton fans after the second leg of the 1984 League Cup semi-final. I was with a few lads including a well-known local author who cuts a rather intimidating figure to more or less anybody, and he was grilling them.

“Where are you from?” he asked.

Scouser affecting terrible Brummie accent: “Birmingham”.

Local author: Which part?

Scouser: Wolverhampton.

Other scouser, knowing the jig was up: We’ve got money!

I said it was out of order beating them up, but as my author friend said: they’d do it to you Perc.

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #376 on: November 09, 2022, 12:51:48 AM »
On the glory hunting thing I do get it when there is genuine family connection, although I think a lot of people make this up - mostly their Dad's will never been to old trafford either.  Funny how you don't get many Norwich fans in the Midlands because their Dad supported them (or even Newcastle, Leeds etc)

But without the family thing, I just can't understand why someone would support a team with another City's name.  You're from a Birmingham suburb but choose to support Liverpool or Manchester United when you have no connection to the City whatsoever.  Most probably haven't even been to the City let alone the ground.  Why not just go the whole hog and support Brazil or Italy in international football?

Also, if you're not really into football, why bring your kid up as a Liverpool fan (as one of my mates has), which means they'll probably never see them live or if they do it ill be once in a blue moon, when he could have jumped on board with Villa or even the Baggies or Wolves?

Any legitimate family connection is fine, but as you say, it's funny that all these people had fathers/uncles who were born or worked in Manchester, rather than, say, Hull. I remember one going on in our sixth form common room about how he's a 'true' Man Utd fan because he lived there in a terraced house with his parents until he was 8. He was irritating me, so I said, "oh yeah? I have family in Manchester*, know it quite well, whereabouts?"

Silence.

"Erm, central..."

Silence.

"Old Trafford Street..."

Haha, reminds me of an incident with two Everton fans after the second leg of the 1984 League Cup semi-final. I was with a few lads including a well-known local author who cuts a rather intimidating figure to more or less anybody, and he was grilling them.

“Where are you from?” he asked.

Scouser affecting terrible Brummie accent: “Birmingham”.

Local author: Which part?

Scouser: Wolverhampton.

Other scouser, knowing the jig was up: We’ve got money!

I said it was out of order beating them up, but as my author friend said: they’d do it to you Perc.

Haha, fucking hell Percy, sometimes talking to you is like going on a school field trip to HMP Winson Green.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #377 on: November 09, 2022, 01:27:01 AM »
Hope you enjoy it mate. If so, you should read my book. All the best stories are in there.

Online Rory

« Reply #378 on: November 09, 2022, 01:29:19 AM »
Hope you enjoy it mate. If so, you should read my book. All the best stories are in there.

Send me the link and I'll buy it, mate!

I'm sure it's great, but may I venture to say that I doubt it's on display at Worcester Waterstones.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 01:31:04 AM by Rory »

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #379 on: November 09, 2022, 03:00:32 AM »

Silence.

"Erm, central..."

Silence.

"Old Trafford Street..."

It pisses me off far more than it should as well, and at my school there were indeed plenty who supported Brazil/Argentina/France in international football. After England lost to Brazil in 2002 it got quite nasty because there were several lads who came in wearing Brazil shirts or carrying Brazil flags.

Most of them were Asian, and I don't want to speculate because it gets into nasty Norman Tebbit territory, but from my experience a higher proportion of Brummies of Asian descent support Man Utd or someone like that, than other ethnic groups. Whether that is because there is greater identification with family roots and not geography, or their families maybe weren't welcomed very warmly and so feel a lack of connection to their city, I don't know.

It's not really relevant, but I always love seeing Asian faces down VP because it means we're engaging with and appealing to the local community.

*I don't.
talking to one Malaysian girl in the holte end with her partner, she was telling me that she loved Aston Villa when she lived in Malaysia,or as she politely put it "I f**king love Aston Villa"sisters were a lawyer and a scientist, great to see people from the ethnic communities down the matches

We're all from ethnic communities!

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #380 on: November 09, 2022, 03:07:52 AM »

I'm sure it's great, but may I venture to say that I doubt it's on display at Worcester Waterstones.

https://www.olddogbooks.net/shop/olddogbooks/gangsters-geezers-and-mods/

It’s on sale in Carnaby Street and I’ve got another one in Waterstones…

https://www.waterstones.com/book/king-city/stephen-pennell/9780750996280

« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 03:09:24 AM by Percy McCarthy »

Online Rory

« Reply #381 on: November 09, 2022, 03:12:40 AM »

Silence.

"Erm, central..."

Silence.

"Old Trafford Street..."

It pisses me off far more than it should as well, and at my school there were indeed plenty who supported Brazil/Argentina/France in international football. After England lost to Brazil in 2002 it got quite nasty because there were several lads who came in wearing Brazil shirts or carrying Brazil flags.

Most of them were Asian, and I don't want to speculate because it gets into nasty Norman Tebbit territory, but from my experience a higher proportion of Brummies of Asian descent support Man Utd or someone like that, than other ethnic groups. Whether that is because there is greater identification with family roots and not geography, or their families maybe weren't welcomed very warmly and so feel a lack of connection to their city, I don't know.

It's not really relevant, but I always love seeing Asian faces down VP because it means we're engaging with and appealing to the local community.

*I don't.
talking to one Malaysian girl in the holte end with her partner, she was telling me that she loved Aston Villa when she lived in Malaysia,or as she politely put it "I f**king love Aston Villa"sisters were a lawyer and a scientist, great to see people from the ethnic communities down the matches

Not everyone. Some of us are stone cold Brits, like those twats hanging the 'Villa Loyal' flag from the Holte, with yer man Charles in the middle of it.

These things are important, you fucking anarchist!

True Brits were born here, and hate blacks, Irish & dogs. The rest - those Brits who, y'know, accept & welcome people from other countries & cultures - are liberal weaklings who must be defeated.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #382 on: November 09, 2022, 03:17:05 AM »

Silence.

"Erm, central..."

Silence.

"Old Trafford Street..."

*I don't.

Not everyone. Some of us are stone cold Brits, like those twats hanging the 'Villa Loyal' flag from the Holte, with yer man Charles in the middle of it.

These things are important, you fucking anarchist!

True Brits were born here, and hate blacks, Irish & dogs. The rest - those Brits who, y'know, accept & welcome people from other countries & cultures - are liberal weaklings who must be defeated.

Must be a hangover from the civil war, when Sir Thomas Holte was a Royalist asset.

Online Rory

« Reply #383 on: November 09, 2022, 03:20:42 AM »

Done

If it's shit, I expect my money back  ;)

Offline astonvilla82

« Reply #384 on: November 09, 2022, 03:21:57 AM »

Silence.

"Erm, central..."

Silence.

"Old Trafford Street..."

*I don't.

okay then

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #385 on: November 09, 2022, 03:22:25 AM »

Done

You’re a star mate, but you haven’t bought the ‘‘moody geezers’ one.

Pm me your address and I’ll send you a freebie.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 03:25:10 AM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #386 on: November 09, 2022, 03:25:47 AM »
The first link is more Villa-centric and has great reviews.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #387 on: November 09, 2022, 03:31:55 AM »

Silence.

"Erm, central..."

Silence.

"Old Trafford Street..."

*I don't.

okay then

Apologies for the quotathon.

You don't think you have an ethnicity?!

Online Rory

« Reply #388 on: November 09, 2022, 03:44:29 AM »

Done

You’re a star mate, but you haven’t bought the ‘‘moody geezers’ one.

Pm me your address and I’ll send you a freebie.

You put the time and effort into researching, compiling and writing it. No way am I accepting a freebie.

Online Rory

« Reply #389 on: November 09, 2022, 04:03:23 AM »

Silence.

"Erm, central..."

Silence.

"Old Trafford Street..."

*I don't.

okay then

Apologies for the quotathon.

You don't think you have an ethnicity?!

It feels absurd saying this, as he's a better man and a longer-standing poster than me, but Paddy is 100% alright.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal