collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Leon Bailey - signed by AV84
[Today at 10:32:50 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by AV84
[Today at 10:31:25 AM]

NSWE Investment by Drummond
[Today at 10:26:32 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:26:09 AM]

Championship Memories by Mellin
[Today at 10:14:25 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Ads
[Today at 09:59:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:42:20 AM]

FA Cup replays scrapped by tomd2103
[Today at 09:31:13 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread  (Read 397142 times)

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread
« Reply #3360 on: January 31, 2023, 01:20:39 PM »
Traore being recalled.

It will be like a new signing.

Of all the players on our books likely to succeed under Emery I'd put him last. Still, I'd like to see it work, if he knocked off the sloppy crossfield balls and upped his focus and workrate a bit he could be a fabulous player and a genuine threat.

His edge of the box clearances, shudder.

The split second confusion from the opposition could be utilised to springboard an attack by our wizard coach

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #3361 on: January 31, 2023, 01:21:38 PM »
Watkins never gets injured though, he's made of granite

That would go a long way to explain his poor control and finishing. Either Emery has a very cunning plan on how to turn Watkins into a goalscorer again or we write yet another chapter in the book, the Missed Opportunities of Aston Villa.

I'm still holding out we'll bring in somebody, preferably a goalscorer, in today.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #3362 on: January 31, 2023, 01:21:44 PM »
I've no problem with Ings being sold, just not at a value where WHU think they've got the better of the deal. I'd have thought £25 mill was closer to what he's worth to a relegation threatened team.

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #3363 on: January 31, 2023, 01:23:57 PM »
I'm in the "this is fucking shit" camp, for most of the reasons mentioned by others.

Liverpool and Chelsea won't be this shit next season.

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #3364 on: January 31, 2023, 01:24:58 PM »
Traore coming back

Online coreyfeldman

« Reply #3365 on: January 31, 2023, 01:25:13 PM »
I'm in the "this is fucking shit" camp, for most of the reasons mentioned by others.

Sure, but Brighton, Brentford and Fulham are unlikely to be this good either. Levels of hysteria on here are pretty wild lads, have to be honest

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #3366 on: January 31, 2023, 01:25:25 PM »
Traore being recalled.

It will be like a new signing.

Bit of competition for Bailey anyway but he hasn't exactly excelled in Turkey since he went on loan. Recalling Traore was I suspect a long way down the list of priorities this month. Talented player at his best though.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #3367 on: January 31, 2023, 01:25:26 PM »
I've no problem with Ings being sold, just not at a value where WHU think they've got the better of the deal. I'd have thought £25 mill was closer to what he's worth to a relegation threatened team.

Agreed, £12m plus add-ons up to £3m is very generous. I doubt very much we'll see the extra £3m, certainly not if it's based on first team starts.

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #3368 on: January 31, 2023, 01:26:59 PM »
If Traore is being recalled, then that fixes the cover & competition issues up front. Don't get me wrong, its not ideal & making a marquee signing would be better to improve the whole squad, but if he is the six month fix, then I can live with that... But, & its a big 'but', if this is it for January, then next summer has to be a big one with several marquee signings. If not, then even the more relaxed amongst us about the current situation, like myself, will be questioning exactly where the owners are taking us. Although the last time I did that over at another forum, I got banned for fear of them losing access to a guy who loved to talk when things were going well, but not so much when they weren't...  ;D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 01:29:36 PM by pablo_picasso »

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3369 on: January 31, 2023, 01:30:41 PM »
If Traore is being recalled, then that fixes the cover & competition issues up front. Don't get me wrong, its not ideal & making a marquee signing would be better to improve the whole squad, but if he is the six month fix, then I can live with that... But, & its a big 'but', if this is it for January, then next summer has to be a big one with several marquee signings. If not, then even the more relaxed amongst us about the current situation, like myself, will be questioning exactly where the owners are taking us. Although the last time I did that over at another forum, I got banned for fear of them losing access to a guy who loved to talk when things were going well, but not so much when they weren't...  ;D

Sounds like a Bizarro Flin5tone

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3370 on: January 31, 2023, 01:31:29 PM »
We just always do this - summer started great with Kamara and DC, but we didn’t complete the job. January we’ve improved left back cover, but haven’t kicked on. I’ve no doubt in the summer it’ll be a similar pattern. We just don’t seem willing and/or able to make a complete go of it.

Offline Bully2345

« Reply #3371 on: January 31, 2023, 01:32:18 PM »
This solution is clearly preferable to whatever other option they have for six months and his injury must not be too bad. It'll be fine.

His squad number has gone to Moreno so I'm going to order in some popcorn for when they tweet the picture of him with the number nine shirt.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #3372 on: January 31, 2023, 01:33:52 PM »

There's always teams moving up and down.  Even if Liverpool and Chelsea are better next season (which isn't a given), Man Utd, Spurs, Arsenal and Newcastle could all just as easily fall away.  I'd put money on Brighton and Fulham not doing as well next season either. 

This year isn't some unique opportunity to crack the Champions League, we're talking about the outside possibility of getting into a tournament that UEFA rank as so important that the final this year is being held in a ground that holds 19k fans.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #3373 on: January 31, 2023, 01:34:22 PM »
The club haven't tweeted in almost 24 hours. They've got something planned imo. They'll announce a big one.

Just a feeling I have.

Online Steve kirk

« Reply #3374 on: January 31, 2023, 01:35:23 PM »
Not an Unai player in any way at all but it strengthens the bench, Bert can produce moments of magic but can also frighten you to death with some of his shanked crossfield passes, he’s also a maverick and great fun to watch.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal