collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread  (Read 399554 times)

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025

Online Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread
« Reply #3286 on: January 31, 2023, 11:14:05 AM »
I cannot see how it’s conceivably possible that Chelsea stay clear of FFP despite trying to get round the amortisation rules.

I read something about that, and it's not quite as insane as it looks. I think it was Keiran Maguire who posted it.

If Chelsea spend 300m (demonstrative figure, not meant to be accurate) on players, on 7 year contracts, and write them down at 40m plus a bit a year, they also have the likes of Gallagher, Hudson-Odoi, Loftus-Cheek as homegrown players, all of whom they could sell for big money, which would be accounted for against that year on year spend.

So, they sell Gallagher to Everton for 45m, that's one of those 7 years in the example accounted for.

Yep, I saw that. The thing is, it gives them no wriggle room whatsoever in the future, and to my mind doesn't account for the big increase in wages either. It's like maxing out your credit card now and hoping you can still afford it in 5 years time. If we were to buy a player now for £40m (ridiculous and over the top hypothetical situation I know, but bear with me) on a 4 year contract, then it's £10m a year amortisation, and come what may it's pretty well all done or dusted after those four years. With Chelsea, if they've spent £500m and the average contract length is 6 years, then in years 5 to 6 they're still being whacked by £80m+ amortisation a year, which will make it much harder to sign players as they go on. Their only hope is to keep developing players like Gallagher and hoping they sell for big money, which comes with a pressure of its own.

I think they've got 2 or 3 homegrown players that they could sell for really big money if needed for FFP purposes - Gallagher, Mount, Reece-James, Hudson-Odoi.  If sold, there is probably close to £200m there.  And that's who they've got in the squad right now.   Even selling the likes of Billy Gilmour for about £10m all helps.

It was talked about a lot on here when they signed Chuk last summer, in terms of how Chelsea have seemingly perfected the "get the best kids, grow them, sell them" model, and they've done it under the radar without getting a reputation as a "selling club".  Last year they sold Tammy and Tomori for £70m.  That's staight into the FFP pot as they're homegrown.

Chelsea have been doing it for years now, it's like a production line for them. There are SO many players that Chelsea have sold for around £5-10m that go completely under the radar, then the odd big one like those above. I bet if you went back 10 years they've probably brought in more money from homegrown players than we have in total.

Don't get me wrong, I think they've mortgaged themselves up to the hilt this year, and they can't spend like this every year, but I do think their model allows them to have years like this one.  That and the stupidly long contracts to reduce the yearly amortised costs, obviously.

Fingers crossed in two years they're sat with a load of McCormack-esque players on fat contracts doing fuck-all.

Offline DeeBoy1

« Reply #3287 on: January 31, 2023, 11:14:55 AM »
(Misquote)

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #3288 on: January 31, 2023, 11:15:40 AM »
Reading these comments on deadline day, and our continued lack of a forward line, I'm depressed at the prospects for the rest of the season and it's not 11 o'clock yet! Hopefully we're moving under the radar.

To agree with a previous post, thank goodness we've got 28 points, and hopefully we can stay out of trouble!

Cheer up, we'll be fine and finish top half. This thread is so miserable today I'm hoping for a Flin5tone post to lighten the mood.

Offline DeeBoy1

« Reply #3289 on: January 31, 2023, 11:17:08 AM »
We have not really dropped our wage bill, we will still be paying Morgan and Marvellous, and they will return to us in the summer

I would think that as we have signed 2 players permanently our wage bill will have gone up, even with the transfer of Ings.

I very much doubt it. It’s been widely reported that Ings was on huge wages so I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t much off the total of Moreno and Duran combined. How do you know we’re paying the full wages of Sanson and Marvellous (if he goes)? I’d be surprised if we were but by that token then surely we’re now not paying for Augustinsson and Bednarek. We’ve also sold Gilbert as well. There’s plenty to be frustrated about, but to say our wage bill has probably gone up when our outgoings are 2 sold including our top earner and 3 or 4 via the loan system, against incomings of 2 players including a 19 year old from the MLS is baffling.

Offline villabear

« Reply #3290 on: January 31, 2023, 11:33:12 AM »
In January 2020 we signed Borja Baston. Let's not be signing players for the sake of it.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #3291 on: January 31, 2023, 11:37:53 AM »
In January 2020 we signed Borja Baston. Let's not be signing players for the sake of it.

I miss him , legend

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #3292 on: January 31, 2023, 11:39:19 AM »

Let's sign decent players.

I don't think anyone is suggesting we buy for the sake of it.

And if we can't sign decent players, let's be careful about who we let leave.

Offline jwarry

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #3295 on: January 31, 2023, 11:57:50 AM »
No Guendouzi then https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1620387816277671941?s=61&t=yHTW8mh-JTeIlN2fJeQ-dA

For now maybe. 

Will happen in the summer I reckon.

Can understand him not wanting to leave now, they're having a really good season and only a few points off PSG.

Offline frank black

« Reply #3297 on: January 31, 2023, 11:59:53 AM »
Reading these comments on deadline day, and our continued lack of a forward line, I'm depressed at the prospects for the rest of the season and it's not 11 o'clock yet! Hopefully we're moving under the radar.

To agree with a previous post, thank goodness we've got 28 points, and hopefully we can stay out of trouble!

Cheer up, we'll be fine and finish top half. This thread is so miserable today I'm hoping for a Flin5tone post to lighten the mood.

I reckon we’ll finish bottom half (just) . It will be a brilliant season if we finish top half. I don’t think our squad is good enough yet.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #3298 on: January 31, 2023, 12:02:45 PM »

I reckon we’ll finish bottom half (just) . It will be a brilliant season if we finish top half. I don’t think our squad is good enough yet.

When we got promoted, did you really, honestly, think that four years on we wouldn't have a squad good enough for top half?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #3299 on: January 31, 2023, 12:09:11 PM »

When we got promoted, did you really, honestly, think that four years on we wouldn't have a squad good enough for top half?

No, I reckon we screwed up last season and this with the Gerrard appointment.  That said, I think we have the players and manager to finish in the top half this season. Emery has enough about him to use the squad effectively if injuries hit.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal