collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 06:22:55 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Rory
[Today at 06:21:19 PM]

Re: Joe Gauci - Signed by frank black
[Today at 06:20:01 PM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by wince
[Today at 06:12:27 PM]

Re: Joe Gauci - Signed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 06:11:24 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by nick harper
[Today at 06:10:59 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 06:07:44 PM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Mister E
[Today at 06:05:56 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread  (Read 399569 times)

Offline lovejoy

Re: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread
« Reply #3210 on: January 31, 2023, 08:32:40 AM »
The risk is do nothing and watch the predators come for Kamara Emi in the summer.

Will signing a Dendonker type player solve that?

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #3211 on: January 31, 2023, 08:38:57 AM »
The risk is do nothing and watch the predators come for Kamara Emi in the summer.

Will signing a Dendonker type player solve that?

No, having a manager of the quality of Emery will, coupled with making a quick start to our summer business. Good news is the decks have been cleared and the wage bill should have lowered.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #3212 on: January 31, 2023, 08:43:31 AM »
Don't want Gallagher either, runs around a lot with little result, and who would he replace?

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #3213 on: January 31, 2023, 08:49:32 AM »
So today is transfer deadline day, otherwise known as Tuesday by us.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #3214 on: January 31, 2023, 08:57:00 AM »
How can Chelsea spend this much money? 

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3215 on: January 31, 2023, 09:00:47 AM »

It's all on the HP, Todd made his money starting as an agent for Kays catalogue and knows the system back to front.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #3216 on: January 31, 2023, 09:11:01 AM »
As the result of us being on our third manager in just over a year, the squad needs some surgery to become balanced. It would be nice if we could have been merrily squad building over the past couple of years, with a clear purpose and direction, but that clearly hasn’t happened. There is inevitably some wastage from signing players to suit a particular manager, who is subsequently sacked, and I think the jury is still out on Lange’s effectiveness as well.

If there is something that pisses me off more than my club not signing players to address an obvious weakness in the squad, it is my club signing the wrong players on big wages and long contracts, and becoming hamstrung in the transfer market going forwards. My understanding is that Emery likes to work with a fairly small squad. Of course we could benefit from a few incomings, and the fact that we are within striking distance of European places makes it tantalising, but if the right players aren’t available what do we do? There has been lots of speculation about certain players, but there is no certainty that we were ever after them. Of course it would be great to bring in another striker, to give us cover, and an option from the bench. Other than Felix though, I’m not aware of a player that another EPL team has signed that would have fitted the bill.

So I’m summary, I would like us to sign a couple more players now, but I’m not going to blame the club if the right players aren’t available. Perhaps that’s the wrong mentality?
You've summarised the situation well - takes a former pro coach to spot the logic, I suppose, Sam.

This is basically where I am too.

I think where I differ from a lot of people on here is what difference I think an extra signing will do to our chances of getting into Europe this year. I think it could make a small difference, but not a huge one. If we play a few matches having Durán as our main striker, it won't necessarily be a disaster. If Watkins is out for a long period of time then I think we'll be in trouble, but I aslo think that would have been the case even if we'd have kept Danny Inj.

What it looks to me is that Emery has been given a sustainable wage structure and transfer budget to work with. He's identified what players he would like and which ones he wants to get rid of, and has started work on that. It could be that some of the players he wants, like Guendouzi for example, would cost more now than they would in the summer - by waiting 6 months, he might be able to afford to get in someone else - maybe this Chillean kid that we've been linked with, a riskier puchase, but with a high ceiling.

It's a risk to go into the season with the squad we've got (and I still think we'll see someone come in today), but it would also be a risk to spend the majority of his budget in his first window. The summer will be a chance for him to build his ideal Villa squad, right now it is just a case of finishing as high as we can, and cleaning up the mess the last guy left us in.
Couldn't have put it better, Boozey.  Agree completely.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3217 on: January 31, 2023, 09:17:37 AM »

It's all on the HP, Todd made his money starting as an agent for Kays catalogue and knows the system back to front.

Pair of stone-washed jeans, 50p a week.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #3218 on: January 31, 2023, 09:21:38 AM »

Pair of stone-washed jeans, 50p a week.
There was a period when girls we knew all seemed to be getting engaged, and you know that pose they do with the engagement ring, a mate of mine always said “oh very nice how much is that a week.”
Never went down well.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #3219 on: January 31, 2023, 09:23:05 AM »
Nakamba off to Luton?

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #3220 on: January 31, 2023, 09:27:30 AM »
Nakamba off to Luton?
Percy saying he's having a medical there on Twitter.

Offline Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #3221 on: January 31, 2023, 09:30:22 AM »
Zyech chooses the Seine, the champions league, the serene Paris culture over Darren a scaffolder from Erdington saying shouting pelters at him at home to Forest on a Tuesday night in Birmingham.

Just let Darren know the Forest match is on a Saturday, it’s Fulham on a Tuesday.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 09:34:36 AM by Border villan »

Offline Clive W

« Reply #3222 on: January 31, 2023, 09:31:17 AM »
FWIW

The only news from Percy this morning is that Nakamba is having a medical at Luton. Loan move to the end of the season

Offline wolfman999

« Reply #3223 on: January 31, 2023, 09:33:36 AM »
Based on absolutely nothing but I wonder whether the forthcoming ground upgrade is having an effect on cash flow and, hence, the lack of transfer activity. It apparently happened with Arsenal and now with Spurs. It would be understandable but the worry is that we might end up not being able to fill those extra seats with a meh team.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3224 on: January 31, 2023, 09:37:52 AM »
Based on absolutely nothing but I wonder whether the forthcoming ground upgrade is having an effect on cash flow and, hence, the lack of transfer activity. It apparently happened with Arsenal and now with Spurs. It would be understandable but the worry is that we might end up not being able to fill those extra seats with a meh team.

Arsenal and Spurs both built brand new stadiums though, it's only one stand for us. Unless they've decided to make it out of solid gold I think we'll be alright.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal