collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread  (Read 399573 times)

Offline kippaxvilla2

Re: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread
« Reply #3150 on: January 30, 2023, 10:11:23 PM »
Zyech chooses the Seine, the champions league, the serene Paris culture over Darren a scaffolder from Erdington saying shouting pelters at him at home to Forest on a Tuesday night in Birmingham.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #3151 on: January 30, 2023, 10:12:08 PM »
I expect a very quick fire sale at Chelsea towards the death when the realise they can only field 11 players at any one time.

Havertz
Pulisic
Ziyech
Gallagher

Any of those would make us stronger

I'd take any of those, but suspect Gallagher is being pushed out as his homegrown status has a lot off added FFP benefits. £40m in for him now roughly offsets the impact of £200m spent on players with 5 year contracts.

Only for a year but yes, it does make a big difference for them.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #3152 on: January 30, 2023, 10:12:28 PM »
Is there a bit of a concern that with the exception of Ramsey that our academy isn't producing players good enough of competing for the first team? Archer, Iroegbunam might not be too far off I guess but still the club bought Dendoncker in Tim's area and Duran in Archer's spot.

On the recruitment side, let's see how tomorrow goes. The owners were still able to convince Emery to leave CL semi finalists only a few months ago. Likes of Carlos, Kamara, Moreno were all sufficiently impressed by the club's ambition in the not too distant past.

In the last two years we've sold youth products for a combined £120m.  We've got academy players who won the FA Youth Cup (but are still teenagers) who've done well in the Championship. One from that team has already gone for £20m to Chelsea. Another was doing well at Norwich until injury, plus Tim is doing well at QPR.  Then you have Cam, too. I really don't think there is any problem with how our academy is performing right now.  If anything, it's performing well above the mean.

Does every thread on here eventually revert back to Jack Grealish 😂 Forgot about Aaron Ramsey to be fair.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3153 on: January 30, 2023, 10:13:26 PM »
I realize we have to trust the manager who appears to have a lot of control right now over our direction. But I know I am going to be fucked off tomorrow of this is it.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #3154 on: January 30, 2023, 10:16:04 PM »
Nakamba off to West Brom it looks like, Coutinho linked with Turkey.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #3155 on: January 30, 2023, 10:17:57 PM »
Nakamba off to West Brom it looks like, Coutinho linked with Turkey.

That would explain his sluggishness since Christmas Day.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #3156 on: January 30, 2023, 10:19:45 PM »
It’s embarrassing to find yourself thinking this but Wolves - Wolves FFS - seem to be immune to the problems we have signing decent players.

I would imagine they also have a higher transfer fee paid than us.

Wolves.

I’m not suggesting we go and spunk 50m on some plodder to fix that, but I am starting to seriously doubt our transfer market ambition.

I’m tired of hearing the club talk the talk, time to start matching words with actions.

Ambitious? Great. Show us.

Immune? They spent more on the kid they've just loaned out PSV than we've ever spent on anyone.  They also spent £30m on Guedes and he was so shit in the first half of the season they've loaned him back to the club they bought him from.

They are a million miles from "immune" to problems signing good players.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3157 on: January 30, 2023, 10:20:14 PM »
It’s embarrassing to find yourself thinking this but Wolves - Wolves FFS - seem to be immune to the problems we have signing decent players.

Wolves.

I’m not suggesting we go and spunk 50m on some plodder to fix that, but I am starting to seriously doubt our transfer market ambition.

I’m tired of hearing the club talk the talk, time to start matching words with actions.

Really?

Matheus Cunha (loan, Atletico Madrid) - ok but only a loan and looks like it'll take most of that time settling in
Mario Lemina (undisclosed, Nice) - nowhere near the quality of our midfielders
Pablo Sarabia (£4.4m, Paris Saint-Germain) - potentially decent but could easily be a bit of a drinkwater
Craig Dawson (£3.3m, West Ham United) - past it
Daniel Bentley (undisclosed, Bristol City) - meh
Joao Gomes (£15m, Flamengo) - no idea on this one

Nothing on that list that makes me wish we'd snuck in ahead of them.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #3158 on: January 30, 2023, 10:24:51 PM »

Wolves.

Immune? They spent more on the kid they've just loaned out PSV than we've ever spent on anyone.  They also spent £30m on Guedes and he was so shit in the first half of the season they've loaned him back to the club they bought him from.

They manage to sign players is the point I was making, with reference to the "players all want CL" yada yada excuses we make for ourselves.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #3159 on: January 30, 2023, 10:25:24 PM »
We were in for Craig Dawson in the summer weren’t we?

Offline Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #3160 on: January 30, 2023, 10:26:49 PM »
Who has moved that we’d like and is a realistic target? 

The main one I can think of is Manduek, other than that we might have tried for felix or Depay before the big clubs bid.  I don’t think we missed out on much which suggests buying might be harder than usual.

Who’s Manduek?

(Probably spelt wrong but) the winger that went from PSV to Chelsea.  Looked decent in a few England U21 games I watched.

Ah yeah, ok. Know who you mean with the description now. Never seen him play and with the amount of players Chelsea are signing that’ll probably continue.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #3161 on: January 30, 2023, 10:27:01 PM »
We have basically taken our chances on relying on our first choice 1-11 more or less for 19 gmes.  Given our injury record I’d say that’s a hell of a risk.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #3162 on: January 30, 2023, 10:27:58 PM »
Bournemouth are chucking Newcastle money about.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #3163 on: January 30, 2023, 10:29:24 PM »

Wolves.

Really?

Matheus Cunha (loan, Atletico Madrid) - ok but only a loan and looks like it'll take most of that time settling in
Mario Lemina (undisclosed, Nice) - nowhere near the quality of our midfielders
Pablo Sarabia (£4.4m, Paris Saint-Germain) - potentially decent but could easily be a bit of a drinkwater
Craig Dawson (£3.3m, West Ham United) - past it
Daniel Bentley (undisclosed, Bristol City) - meh
Joao Gomes (£15m, Flamengo) - no idea on this one

Nothing on that list that makes me wish we'd snuck in ahead of them.

I am not saying I want their signings, I am saying that they are managing to sign players in January, whereas we seem to spend most of our time inventing excuses for our failure to do so.

I can understand getting outspent (ie record fee spent) by CL teams, but not Wolves.

Again, when do we get to see our ambition? We've spent - net - barely anything the last two years.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #3164 on: January 30, 2023, 10:36:49 PM »

Wolves.

They manage to sign players is the point I was making, with reference to the "players all want CL" yada yada excuses we make for ourselves.

There is a world of difference between signing players, and signing GOOD players. The issue is, we want players who 1) will definitely improve us, 2) cost a 'not stupid' amount, and 3) are available for transfer.  Unfortunately, most players only fit two of those criteria. Finding players who match all three is very difficult.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal