collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread  (Read 391241 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread
« Reply #2745 on: January 28, 2023, 05:22:58 PM »
Apparently Guendouzi is starting for OM tonight.

He was always going to play tonight. Marseille-Monaco is one of the biggest games in France outside PSG and they're having a very good season.

I think that's more likely in the summer tbh.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2746 on: January 28, 2023, 05:28:04 PM »
Considering how well the club did waiting for the right player with Kamara, I'm happy to give them the benefit of the doubt and wait on a centre forward, which they are clearly looking for.

There's no point on splurging a load of money on shite. Just because they're expensive, doesn't make them any good. See Everton. We're well versed in that behaviour too. Steady as she goes, strike when the right player becomes available. Stick to that method and we'll move forward.

Yeah but not splashing cash on shite is one thing, not creating the need to do so in the first place is another. We've got one striker, because we sold one and sent the other on loan, that's not enough.

It is a problem we created.

Offline mcgrath_85

« Reply #2747 on: January 28, 2023, 06:10:51 PM »
A
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 06:27:47 PM by mcgrath_85 »

Offline mcgrath_85

« Reply #2748 on: January 28, 2023, 06:28:13 PM »
My feeling is:

Ings, we were made an offer we couldn't refuse. We didn't see him as long term option. In the summer he'd have 12 months left on his contract and West Ham wouldn't be panic buying players. We got £12m/£15m for a player who in 6 months time would be worthless. And we'd have had to pay Ings the best part of £8m in wages for the privilege.

There's only 18 games left this season, so if we went in to it with Watkins, Duran, and Bailey whose been playing as a forward, so be it. It's not an ideal situation, but one where you can kind of see that getting £15m cash + £8m saved wages = £23m might be worth considering.

I don't see the point in signing Dembele, or players like that. I don't think he's as good as Watkins, and the fairly unanimous verdict on here is that Watkins is either not good enough, or only just good enough, for a top 4/6 side, which is where we want to be.

At the end of the day, it's a hard time to buy anything other than other team's cast offs (or pay well over the odds). We've got a highly rated left back from Spain for less than we paid for Matt Targett, and a highly-rated forward for the amount we paid for Traore. I'd be inclined to say that in the cold light of day, that'll end up being well above average for PL clubs.

All that said, I can't help feeling that spending a bit of cash on a top quality striker and Guendouzi would be worth our while. We need to exploit the chinks in Chelsea's and Liverpool's armour.

Only 18 games. 😂
It’s half the season mate!

It literally took the club 3 years of having an unbalanced midfield to find Kamara. It was about time!

You’d be happy to wait that long again? Laughable.

Selling Ings without a ready made replacement is crazy and will cost us if that’s the case.
It doesn’t strike me as an ambitious move to try and get into Europe and more importantly show Martinez that was mean business.

Ings could have been moved on in the summer, albeit for a lesser fee, but the difference between 10th and 6th is £20 million, so we wouldn’t really be losing out too much as having Danny Ings in our squad makes far stronger.

Did we really need that £12 million so badly and quickly? I thought we were run by billionaires who want big things? If an equal replacement isn’t brought in during the dregs of the window, then that reeks small time to me.

I think more fans would have this viewpoint if we’d lost one or both of the last two games, which easily could have happened with the way they unfolded

Offline steamer

« Reply #2749 on: January 28, 2023, 06:30:34 PM »
Agree fully with the sentiment
But (I hope) am sure a forward is lined up
Will be disappointed if we don't

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2750 on: January 28, 2023, 07:16:53 PM »
Not a good sign that Guendouzi is starting tonight for Marseille.

Sigh…

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #2751 on: January 28, 2023, 07:22:02 PM »
Not a good sign that Guendouzi is starting tonight for Marseille.

Sigh…

It’s his farewell performance.

(Clutching at straws)

Offline john2710

« Reply #2752 on: January 28, 2023, 07:47:40 PM »
If we had to we could wait until the summer to recruit a midfielder but up front we are taking a huge risk, if we don't add someone. Even a loan would be something.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2753 on: January 28, 2023, 07:54:32 PM »
I’m much more concerned about our forwards depth than midfield right now. Not that midfield is exactly deep with PL level talent.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #2754 on: January 28, 2023, 07:58:16 PM »
Ings, Sanson and Augusinsson have been consistent members of our Match Day squads since Emery came in. I refuse to believe we'd be daft enough to let them go without replacing them.

Likewise you dont get one of Europe's highest Profile managers in and then fuck him over at the first opportunity.

Online Baldy

« Reply #2755 on: January 28, 2023, 08:01:55 PM »
Agree fully with the sentiment
But (I hope) am sure a forward is lined up
Will be disappointed if we don't

Harry Kane on the bench for Spurs tonight!! Son played as centre forward. They have recently bought Richarlison and now Danjuma!!

We have been saving our pennies and need an upgrade on Ings. Transfer deadline a few days away.

It all adds up, I feel it in my water.

Just saying.  :o
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 08:06:46 PM by Baldy »

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2756 on: January 28, 2023, 08:14:00 PM »
I’m much more concerned about our forwards depth than midfield right now. Not that midfield is exactly deep with PL level talent.

We have enough until the summer. Doug, Kamara, Dendoncker, Ramsey and I presume McGinn will be back in a few weeks.

Problem is though due to lack of options we have to play at least one if not two out wide.

Our forward options now basically consist of Ollie, Buendia, Bailey, Duran and Coutinho.

Only one is anyway proven as a premier league CF (no point playing Coutinho there as false 9 as he can't run anymore) and putting Buendia out wide results in inconsistent performances.

To seriously try to fight for europe with just one CF and one actual wide player in whole squad is pretty ambitious I think.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #2757 on: January 28, 2023, 08:20:51 PM »
I wonder if we haven't been able to get our first choices in and will be bringing the likes of Hakim Zayich in from Chelsea on loan. 

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2758 on: January 28, 2023, 08:22:04 PM »
Looks like it's going to be that perrenial favourite, Noah Juan!

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #2759 on: January 28, 2023, 08:39:34 PM »
Is it 6 players gone now?  Bednarek, Ings, Archer, Ludwig, Sanson and Guilbert?  I wonder how much salary this saves the club.  Surely at least 1 more player to come in.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal