collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread  (Read 399550 times)

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread
« Reply #2520 on: January 26, 2023, 09:11:58 PM »
We were a bigger mess at the time he left than when he arrived.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2521 on: January 26, 2023, 09:12:48 PM »
While we wait for some actual transfer news, here are my most controversial opinions of those early Championship years that, thankfully, feel like a very long time ago now:

I'd have given Di Matteo more time. Until Preston, where I think he'd just lost his mind because he knew he was toast, we weren't actually playing that badly, just conceding a lot of last-minute goals. We had started to play some better stuff, but there was something not quite clicking. I think he could have turned it around. Fat Ross and the keeper were two huge errors of judgement, but I think what he had was salvageable - our owner didn't have any patience because he was gambling on us getting promoted immediately.

Bruce underachieved with the squad he had, particularly in that second season. He took over a squad that could have played Kodjia, Grealish and Ayew up front. There were plenty of problems, but there was a lot of quality there too, that had been massively underperforming. He was much more concerned with getting new players in than working with what he had, and we had a chairman desperate enough to write the cheques.

(Probably the most controversial one): John Terry was a pathetic vanity signing that didn't actually improve our first team very much at all. We needed a quick, powerful CB to play next to Chester (look at the impact Mings had when he came in - that's what we were crying out for). By signing Terry to play next to him, we had the exact same weaknesses as we'd had the previous year. When Terry was out injured, Elphick filled in and we weren't any worse off.

We neglected the youth during this period and potentially ruined a few careers. Players like McKirdy, Mitch Clark, Callum O'Hare all could have been utilised, but instead we bought in players like Bree and that guy from Bury that never actually played for us. We never tried to bring through any youth players and it was a wasted opportunity.

Snodgrass wasn't that good for us. As soon as Jack was back in that season, nobody else did anything. Jack carried us to the playoffs that year far more than he did the following year.

None of that matters, of course, we're better off now than we probably could have imagined. If Bruce had got us up first time of asking, we'd probably have gone straight back down and into administration. So everything turned out for the best, so just to get us back on track, here is my ill-thought prediction for the next few days: We're going to announce Thuram and Guendouzi before the end of the window. And probably another teenage prodigy that can play on the wing.

I'd agree with most of that.

I hope you're right with the signings, those 2 and a young winger would go a long way to getting the squad where it needs to be to really push on. It would also mean that the summer could be a case of 2-3 major signings rather another rebuild.

Online Clampy

« Reply #2522 on: January 26, 2023, 09:13:25 PM »
That's probably the one Wilma post I agree with (some still get through sadly, despite the block).  I wouldnt say he did a fantastic job though, he was just the right kind of manager when it was needed. We were a mess.

We had every advantage as a huge club. He was the opposite of what we needed.

What did we need? Someone to experiment?

Online Clampy

« Reply #2523 on: January 26, 2023, 09:14:45 PM »
We were a bigger mess at the time he left than when he arrived.

I think you might find that was Dr Tony's fault.

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #2524 on: January 26, 2023, 09:16:16 PM »
That's probably the one Wilma post I agree with (some still get through sadly, despite the block).  I wouldnt say he did a fantastic job though, he was just the right kind of manager when it was needed. We were a mess.

A good manager.

Online Clampy

« Reply #2525 on: January 26, 2023, 09:17:17 PM »

A good manager.

Yep, it was as simple as that.

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #2526 on: January 26, 2023, 09:23:13 PM »

A good manager.

Yep, it was as simple as that.

Pretty much.

Online paul_e

« Reply #2527 on: January 26, 2023, 09:26:04 PM »

I think opposite is unfair but someone looking to develop players alongside the first team and wanting to setup tactical and technical excellence through the club, something a little like Kompany is doing at Burnley.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #2528 on: January 26, 2023, 09:31:21 PM »
I think he was the right appointment at the right time.
Hindsight gets you the winning lottery numbers every week.

Online Clampy

« Reply #2529 on: January 26, 2023, 09:36:09 PM »

I think opposite is unfair but someone looking to develop players alongside the first team and wanting to setup tactical and technical excellence through the club, something a little like Kompany is doing at Burnley.

You could argue we didnt have time for that and how many times has that happened anyway?

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2530 on: January 26, 2023, 09:45:57 PM »
It was the totally wrong appointment for what we needed at the time

It was a piss easy job getting Villa out of the championship with the resources we had
Bruce was successful at turning us into a standard championship side playing championship standard football and that’s being kind
he was absolutely rubbish and has been rubbish ever since wherever he’s gone

Online paul_e

« Reply #2531 on: January 26, 2023, 09:48:08 PM »

You could argue we didnt have time for that and how many times has that happened anyway?

Does it take long with the sort of resources we had that season?

Online Clampy

« Reply #2532 on: January 26, 2023, 09:49:12 PM »

I'll ask again, how many other teams have done that?

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #2533 on: January 26, 2023, 09:51:57 PM »
Not much action on the transfers and loans coming in, is there?

Online paul_e

« Reply #2534 on: January 26, 2023, 09:52:46 PM »

I'll ask again, how many other teams have done that?

I honestly don't care if none havem it's still what I believe should've been done because the alternative was us having to spend £150m building an entirely new squad just to stay up once we got promoted and, might well not have managed it without a 3month break in the season due to covid.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal